[MyAppleMenu] Jul 28, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jul 28 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** iPhone, App Store Problems Causing More Than Just Headaches <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/07/28/iphone-app-store-problems-causing-more-than-just-headaches>
by David Chartier, Ars Technica

**** Review: ClamXav 1.1 <http://www.macworld.com/article/134658/2008/07/clamxav11.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Scott McNulty, Macworld
ClamXav 1.1 is an able antivirus program that will keep your Mac protected, though it doesn't offer all the features that more-expensive programs do. Free is hard to beat, though, and while ClamXav might be slower than other programs, and might slow down your Mac a bit, it's just as accurate.

**** Narrator 2.0.2 <http://www.macworld.com/article/134221/2008/07/narrator2.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Miller, Macworld
Paste your text into it, assign the program's "characters" to their lines, and then hear your text come to life.

**** Lost In The Clouds <http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/21133/?a=f>
by Rich Parr, MIT Technology Review
MobileMe is facing problems endemic to cloud computing.

**** Could iTunes User Suffer The Same Fate As Yahoo Music Users If iTunes Were To Fail? <http://mac.blorge.com/2008/07/27/could-itunes-users-suffer-the-same-fate-as-yahoo-music-users-if-itunes-were-to-fail/>
by Leslie Poston, Mac.Blorge.com
In the end there is no grat solution on the consumer side to the potential problems with DRM when the issuing company goes belly up.

**** Clara <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2008/08/04/080804fi_fiction_bolano>
by Roberto Bolano, New Yorker
She had big breasts, slim legs, and blue eyes. That's how I like to remember her. I don't know why I fell madly in love with her, but I did, and at the start, I mean for the first days, the first hours, it all went fine; then Clara returned to the city where she lived, in the south of Spain (she'd been on vacation in Barcelona), and everything began to fall apart.

**** Before The Storm <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2008/08/04/080804po_poem_gluck>
by Louise Gluck, New Yorker

**** Ancient Anecdotage <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2008/08/04/080804po_poem_starbuck>
by Kathryn Starbuck, New Yorker

**** Singapore's 'Australand Shocker' Down Under <http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2008/07/28/14760/singapores-australand-shocker-down-under/>
by Gwen Robinson, Financial Times
Singapore Power laid out A$8.14bn i cash for the Alinta east coast assets last August and then failed to flip it into SP Ausnet. THis has left Singapore Power lumbered with A$17bn in debut and the same power assets are today probably worth about A$6bn.
Singapore Inc's Temasek meawhile ploughed A$400m into ABC Learning at $7.30 a share 12 months ago and has watched almost 90 per cent of that evaporate.

**** On National Day, Underlying Philosophy On Migration And Helping The Poor In Singapore <http://antineodem.wordpress.com/2008/07/28/on-national-day-underlying-philosophy-on-migration-and-helping-the-poor-in-singapore/>
by The Anti Neo-Democracy Theorist

**** Police Question Activists Over Kangaroo T-Shirts <http://singabloodypore.rsfblog.org/archive/2008/07/28/police-question-activists-over-kangaroo-t-shirts.html>
by Singabloodypore
Three human rights defenders have been called up for questioning by the police for contempt of court.

**** Government, Grassrots And PAP Are Strange Bedfellows <http://blueheeler.wordpress.com/2008/07/28/government-grassroots-and-pap-are-strange-bedfellows/>
by BothSidesOfTheJohorStraits
Goh is alluding to the situation that the government departments and grassroots would serve a PAP-ward happily and perhaps not so in an opposition ward.

**** The Importance Of Being Earnest <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/07/the-importance-of-being-earnest/>
by The Online Citizen
The government's efforts to restore public confidence in the charity system are laudable. But now it should be prepared to devote considerably more money and attention to make them work better, rather than relying on the notion - one that it has itself requently rubbished - that individuals can be relied upon to realise the vital importance of being earnest.

**** No Suggestion That Pay Hikes Will Harm Economy <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_261928.html>
by Chin Sau Ho, Ministry Of Finance, Straits Times
Mr Tharman had not suggested that wage increases in general would contribute to inflation or would harm the economy. What he cautioned against was wages rising faster than productivity in order to keep pace with local inflation.

**** Singapore Parking Less Expensive Than Many Cities Worldwide <http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/221774,singapore-parking-less-expensive-than-many-cities-worldwide.html>
by DPA
Parking in Singapore's prime area is not cheap but less expensive than in many other cities worldwide, ranking 52nd out of 138, a published study said on Monday.

**** SM Goh, Please Love Your Country More Than The PAP <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/07/sm-goh-please-love-your-country-more-than-the-pap/>
by Choo Zheng Xi, The Online Citizen
The People's Association (PA) is the umbrella organization that funds all grassroots organizations. THe PA website states that its mission is to "bring people together to take ownership of and contribute to community well-being" and strengthen racial harmony ties. Nowehre in its mission statement do we see Mr Goh's goal of keeping the PAP in power.

**** Goh Chok Tong's Remarks On Role Of Opposition Raises Many Alarm Bells <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=347>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net
Singapore needs political opposition that will challenge, not preserve, the PAP's grip on power.

**** Monday Manifesto: Is Singapore The Canary In The Mine? <http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/economics/article4412272.ece>
by Leo Lewis, The Times
Latitude in monetary and fiscal policy is crucial - and yet when the softly spoken, British-educated Mr Tharman talks of Singapore's striking economic vulnerabilities, he emphasises the need for social cohesion, a force, he says, that has helped to make his country so attractive for investment and without which one of South-East Asia's most impressive economic stories would surely unravel.