[MyAppleMenu] Jul 22, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jul 22 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Developer Installer Solution Ships <http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=22118>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Excel Software has introduced its developer-focused ClickInstall 1.0 software for Mac OS X.

**** Review: IPNetSentryX 1.6.5 <http://www.macworld.com/article/134568/2008/07/ipnetsentryx.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Joe Kissell, Macworld
Although IPNetSentryX is a sort of jack of all trades when it comes to firewall software, its most salient distinguishing characteristic is that it uses adaptive rather than fixed rules.

**** Apple Shines On Minneapolis Firm's iPhone App <http://www.startribune.com/business/25740539.html?location_refer=Most%20Viewed:Homepage:8>
by Emma L. Carew, Star Tribune
After Apple opened its online application store, DoApp's "myLite Color Strobe and Flashlight" program quickly broke into the store's top 10 free downloads.

**** Plopp 1.2.5 <http://www.macworld.com/article/134144/2008/07/plopp125.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Roman Loyola, Macworld
Impara's Plopp is a drawing tool for kids that not only makes 3-D easy, but it makes it fun, too.

**** Apple Pushes MobileMe Surprise To XP, Vista Via iTunes Update <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9110438>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
Apple Inc. installed a control panel applet for its MobileMe online sync and storage service on Windows XP and Windows Vista systems when they were updated to iTunes 7.7 - the second time this year that it's bundled new software with an update for an existing program.

**** MobileMe Competition
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
I wish Microsoft's Live Mesh can offer some real competition to Appel's MobileMe.
I am not hopeful, but I do wish. Even Google right now does not offer such a comprehensive package of convenience.

**** In Age Of iPhone, Computers Walk The Plank <http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2008/07/in_age_of_iphone_computers_wal.html>
by Allan Hoffman, The Star-Ledger
Apple's latest iPhone signals a new era, with a shift in the center of the computing world away from the full-fledged computer and onto the hand-held device.

**** Investors Eye Health Of Apple's Steve Jobs <http://uk.reuters.com/article/internetNews/idUKBNG4950320080722>
by Dhanya Skariachan, Reuters

**** Apple Hints At A 'Product Transition' And A New Product Soon? <http://www.macrumors.com/2008/07/21/apple-hints-at-a-product-transition-and-a-new-product-soon/>
by Arnold Kim, MacRumors.com
In the conference call, Apple executives repeated referred to a "product transition" that may affect Q4 revenue numbers.
/If I have to bet, I'd say new notebooks, with many of the MacBook Air features migrating to the MacBook Pro and MacBook lines./

**** Apple Earnings Call - Steve Jobs' Health Is Private, No Plans To Leave Apple <http://cultofmac.com/apple-earnings-call-steve-jobs-health-is-private-no-plans-to-leave-apple/2363>
by Leander Kahney, Cult Of Mac
"Jobs has no plans to leave Apple. Steve's health is a private matter."

**** Free VirtualBox For Mac Now A Virtual Contender <http://lowendmac.com/mac2win/08m2w/virtualbox-now-a-contender.html>
by Alan Zisman, Low End Mac
VirtualBox for Mac has grown up; while it lacks every feature available in its commercial virtualizer competitors, it offers good performance, networking, and USB support.

**** Some MobileMe Customers Without E-mail For 4 Days <http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/business/appleaday/blog/2008/07/some_mobileme_customers_withou.html>
by David Zeiler, Baltimore Sun
Apple gets points for acknowledging the issues and trying to make it right, but that will do little to placate people who just want the service to work as promised.

**** Mobile Safari Speed Improvements "More Than A Feeling" <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/07/21/mobile-safari-speed-improvements-more-than-a-feeling>
by Jeff Smykil, Ars Technica

**** Apple Reports Record Third Quarter Results <http://www.macworld.co.uk/business/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=22107>
by Macworld UK
Apple shipped 2,496,000 Macs during the quarter, representing 41 per cent unit growth and 43 per cent revenue growth over the year-ago quarter. The company sold 11,011,000 iPods during the quarter, representing 12 per cent unit growth and seven per cent revenue growth over the year-ago quarter.

**** Apple: iPhone Coming To 20 More Countries Aug 22 <http://www.macworld.com/article/134605/2008/07/iphone_august.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Philip Michaels, Macworld
Even as it struggles to meet demand in existing markets, Apple plans to introduce the iPhone 3G to new countries next month. The company said that the latest iPhone would go on sale in 20 additional countries by August 22.

**** KavaTunes Takes iTunes Online <http://www.macworld.co.uk/digitallifestyle/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=22102>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Access your music using a web browser.

**** You Control Update Improves Leopard iCal Support <http://www.macworld.com/article/134593/2008/07/youcontrol.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
You Software updated its custom menu creation utility, You Control. The new version provides support for iCal calendars served via a CalDAV server.

**** Private Clouds <http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/07/private_clouds.html>
by George Crump, InformationWeek

**** Hi-Tech Is Turning Us All Into Time-Wasters <http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/jul/20/psychology.mobilephones>
by Michael Day, The Guardian
Mobile phones and emails are triggering the 'distraction' part of the brain.

**** A Look Back At The New Age <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121668668588372093.html?mod=rss_Books>
by Paul Beston, Wall Street Journal
Tom Fels's "Farm Friends," although a 1960s memoir, does not really belong to his generation's self-celebratory tradition. It concerns a group of people who, in the manner of 19th-century utopian communities, lived on a communal farm in western Massachusetts in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

**** Siren <http://www.slate.com/id/2195096/?from=rss>
by Paul Breslin, Slate

**** Mirrors Don't Lie. Mislead? Oh, Yes. <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/22/science/22angi.html>
by Natalie Angier, New York Times
To scientists, the simltaneous simplicity and complexity of mirrors make them powerful tools for exploring questions about perception and cognition in humans and other neuronally gifted species, and how the brain interprets and acts upon the great tides of sensory information from the external world.

**** Want To Know How To Lose Me As A Friend? Just Buy Me A Book And Say: 'This Is So You' <http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/articles/0,,2291934,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=books>
by Mark Ravenhill, The Guardian
So me! Crunch! Flop! Aghh! Instantly, the book loses its power.

**** Paradise Unpaved <http://www.frankejames.com/debate/?p=98>
by Franke James, My Green Conscience
We unpaved our paradise and it's gorgeous!

**** My View On SIngapore <http://papabear959.wordpress.com/2008/07/22/50/>
by Beneath The Line
People in Malaysia are always given the idea that Singaporean is racists and apply double standards against the Malays. Malays in Singapore are treated badly and all preferential treatment is given to the Chinese and Indian. My personal experience and through conversation with Singaporean themselves is a stark contrast fromt he rumors we Malaysia hear back home. They are actually living in harmony.

**** Political Logic <http://aaron-ng.info/blog/political-logic.html>
by Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
We really should give our ministers the best ossible experience of being an average Singaporean.

**** Oral Answer To Parliament Question On Whether The Government Has Received And Verified Any Information That Mas Selamat Kastari Is Now In Indonesia; And What Is His Assessment Of Such An Outcome On The Reputation Of Singapore <http://app.sprinter.gov.sg/data/pr/20080721992.htm>
by Ministry Of Home Affairs, Singapore Government
We will do our utmost to find Mas Selamat whatever it takes. If Mas Selamat has escaped abroad, we will work with the relevant foreign counterparts to track him down and bring him back into custody in Singapore. We have done it before; we will do it again.

**** Singapore June CPI Estimated At A New 26-Year High Due To Strong Oil Prices <http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited/feeds/afx/2008/07/21/afx5233331.html>
by Thomson Financial
Soaring oil prices likely pushed Singapore's inflation to a fresh 26-year high in June, when the rise in consumer prices may have hit its peak, before it decelerates in the second half of the year as the effect of the goods and services tax hike wears off, economists said on Monday.

**** Light-Touch Approach To Regulate Internet Has Served Singapore Well: Minister <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_260241.html>
by Straits Times
The government's light-touch approach to regulate the internet has served Singapore well, and this has led to much public discourse and buzz in the cyberspace, said minister for information, communications and the arts Lee Boon Yang.

**** Singapore Cancels ASEAN Song-And-Dance: Surin <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jD2B9vjqVJ8j88fj1HFL_4y-j6ow>
by AFP
Singapore has cancelled ASEAN's traditional night of skits and stage acts by ministers at the end of their annual talks, ASEAN secretary-general Surin Pitsuwan said Tuesday.

**** Another $1.7B Of Public Buidling Projects Deferred To Ease Resource Crunch <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_260203.html>
by Straits Times
National development minister Mah Bow Tan disclosed this in his written reply to a question from an MP in Parliament on Monday. But he gave the assurance that projects that are essential to meet SIngapore's economic and social needs, such as key infrastructural development, will proceed as planned.

**** Make Money: Singapore Nature Parks Show You How <http://seenthisscenethat.blogspot.com/2008/07/make-money-singapore-nature-parks-show.html>
by Seen This Scene That
If indeed this fugitive is still hiding somewhere in these parks and greenery, residents who enjoy dreaming of hw to make money on this Money-No-Enough island now have a uniquely Singaporean chance: make money as you enjoy the fresh air, wide open spaces and rejuvenating greenery of our parks.

**** Coming Nearer To Residential Areas: Dorms For Foreign Workers <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_260197.html>
by Straits Times
New domitory sites for foreign workers may be located nearer residential areas as Singapore becomes more built up, said national development minister Mah Bow Tan. He urged Singaporeans to be more understanding and accommodating as 'foreign workers are here to contribute to our economic growth.'

**** NAC To Review Singapore Arts Fest <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_260186.html>
by Straits Times
The National Arts Council will review the organisation and form of the Singapore Arts Festival to improve its programming and delivery, said minister for information, communications and the arts Lee Boon Yang. The challenge is for the festival to evolve a programme mix that would continue to meet the goals of artistic and audience development, and to enhance its international position and influence.

**** Singapore Plans New Measures To Boost Birth Rate <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5ikBk73PruG8w7o6ygsrIRFAjQZZg>
by AFP
Singapore is working on a slew of new measures aimed at boosting the city-0state's flagging birth rate, the government said Monday.

**** No Offence In Hsien Loong's Remark, Says Rais <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/7/22/nation/21881908&sec=nation>
by The Star
Malaysia does not take offence to a comment made by Singapore prime minister Lee Hsien Loong on the country's political situation, said foreign minister Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim.

**** Affordable HDB Flats: Costings Don't Add Up <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_260061.html>
by Steven Yeo, Straits Times
That means land (and other costs) on which a single block of flats stands costs $15 to $20 million. Can it cost so much?

**** Government Property Vacant For Years <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_260042.html>
by Liaw Wy-Cin, Straits Times
Government chalets left to go to seed and unleased for over 14 years and other buildings and tracts of land left empty for years on end - these have come to light in the Auditor-General's annual report.

**** Singapore Claims Zone Around Pedra Branca <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/266357.asp>
by Nazry Bahrawi, Today
Two months after being awarded its claim over Pedra Branca, Singapore is going ahead to claim an Exclusive Economic Zone around the island. Dr Balaji Sadasivan, senior minister of state for foreign affairs, told Parliament the "precise coordinates" would be announced at an appropriate time.

**** Why So Silent, PAP Town Councils? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/07/why-so-silent-pap-town-councils/>
by Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen
What are these investments and their returns or yields used for, if not to help residents in time of need?
/Under the "Town Councils Act <http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_version/cgi-bin/cgi_retrieve.pl?actno=REVED-329A&doctitle=TOWN%20COUNCILS%20ACT%0A&date=latest&method=part>", town councils must "establish and maintain... separate sinking funds for improvements to and the management and maintenace of residential property and of commercial property."/
/Furthermore, the sinking funds cannot be used except for "the purposes of meeting expenses or liabilities properly attributable to that sinking fund." A strict reading &mdash; if I understanding correctly, but I am only a layman &mdash; seems to imply that the sinking fund cannot be used to "subsidize" regular public service that the S&amp;C charges are used to pay for. If a reduction in S&amp;C charges results in operational charges higher than revenue, town councils cannot, by law, tap into the sinking funds for the shortfall./
/The question we should be asking is: can town councils reduce S&amp;C charges without compromises in public services that residents are not willing to forego?/
/For a start, the town councils must start sending annual financial statements to all their residents. After all, residnets are the major stakeholders. With the financial statments, residents can be better informed on the financial standings of their town councils and make better decisions on who to vote in general elections./
/But, town councils do not have the power to use the sinking funds to "help residents in time of need." For that, one has to go to the Parliament. Town councils do not ahve the power to change the percentage of funds channeled into the sinking funds. For that, one has to go to the Ministry of National Developement./

**** SE Asia Begins Negotiations To Set Up Rights Body <http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSMAN32168620080721?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews>
by Manny Mogato, Reuters
The Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) has begun negotiations for the creation of a human rights body, a senior Philippine official said on Monday, with hopes of cncluding talks in Bangkok next July.

**** $5.5M 'Lost' To Save Durian Tree <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,171301,00.html?>
by Desmond Ng, New Paper
That's the cost of a bungalow which developer must forgo to retain tree in present spot.

**** HOTA To Be Amended To Increase Donors <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/361840/1/.html>
by Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia
Health minister Khaw Boon Wan told Parliament on Monday that the changes will include removing the age limit on cadaveric donors, and could also allow financial compensation by third-parties to altruistic donors.

**** Singapore Rejects US Assessment Of Its Record On Human Trafficking <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/361835/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
Singapore has rejected the US State Department's assessment that Singapore does not meet the "minimum standards" of the US Trafficking Victims Protection Act 2000. It described the assessment as "unjustified."
See Also:
Trafficking In Persons Report: Singapore <http://www.state.gov/g/tip/rls/tiprpt/2008/105389.htm>, by U.S. Department Of State. Singapore is a destination country for women and girls trafficked for the purpose of labor and commerical sexual exploitation. Some women from India, Thailand, the Philippines, and the People's Republic of China who travel to Singapore voluntarily for prostitution or work are subsequently deceived or coerced into sexual servitude. A significant number of foreign domestic workers in Singapore faces the unlawful confiscation of their travel documents, restrictions on their movement, confinement, and/or physical or sexual abuse. Some Singaporean men travel to countries in the region for child sex tourism.
The government did not prosecute or convict any trafficking offenders during the reporting period, and did not take adequate measures to protect victims of trafficking, particularly foreign domestic workers subjected to forced labor conditions.