[MyAppleMenu] Jul 5, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jul 5 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Who Would Wait A Week In Line For An iPhone 3G? <http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/07/05/who-would-wait-a-week-in-line-for-an-iphone-3g/>
by Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune
The WhoFarm, that's who, a newly formed publicity-seeking environemntal grop with a mission: to persuade the 44th president of the U.S. &mdash; whoever that turns out to be &mdash; to transform the White House's 17-acre lawn into an organic farm.

**** Just How Fast Do You Want Your Computer To Be? <http://www.mg.co.za/article/2008-07-05-just-how-fast-do-you-want-your-computer-to-be>
by Charles Arthur, Mail &amp; Guardian
For most people, we've already reached the point where you don't need any extra processing power.
/I don't agree. The reason that there are no real killer-app that demanded more CPU is that there is a fundamental change in Moore's Law. Instead of faster CPU, which application can easily take advantage of, we are looking at more CPU cores instead, which is difficult to take advantage of. Just ask Microsoft./

**** Where The iPhone Failed <http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2008/07/where_the_iphon.html>
by Stephen Wildstrom, BusinessWeek
This may end up being a big step back for consumer freedom of choice.

**** Early iPhone Adopter On Fence About New One <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2008034255_ptmacc05.html>
by Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times
None of this has yet triggered my early-adopter credit-card-disgorging reflex.

**** Apple's Long-Term Strategy Paying Off <http://www.stickybuffalo.com/2008/apples-long-term-strategy-paying-off>
by Stickybuffalo.com
If other companies start following suit, Apple will finally have broken out of its tiny market share ghetto, and Windows will dwindle.

**** Apple Lands Largest Corporate Client In Europe <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/07/04/axel.springer.goes.mac/>
by MacNN
Geerman newspaper publisher Axel Springer is migrating to the Mac platform and says it will replace all of its PCs with both Mac notebooks and desktops over the next five years, becoming Apple's second largest corporate client.

**** My Mac Problem: Too Many And Too ALike <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9984138-16.html>
by Matt Asay, CNET News.com
Here in the Asay home we have a growing problem: Each year we add a Mac to the fold, making it increasingly more difficult to tell them apart.

**** It's Already Begun: iPhon 3G Line Starting In New York City <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/07/04/its_already_begun_iphone_3g_line_starting_in_new_york_city.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider
Although it's not the first release and ample supply is expected, a queue has reportedly begun outside of Apple's Fifth Avenue retail store to buy iPhone 3G a ful week before its release.

**** Tech Site For News Junkies Launched By Dave Winer <http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/07/04/tech_site_for_news_junkies_launched_by_dave_winer.html>
by Jack Schofield, The Guardian
Now there's a fast-loading site that keeps you up-to-date with some new product news.

**** Fair Play For The CIA <http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/the_tls/article4255297.ece>
by James M. Murphy, The Times
We must not forget that the CIA was formed in an era of civic trust and patriotism.

**** George Yeo Says Singapore Must Not Get Involved In Malaysian Politics <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/358448/1/.html>
by Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia
"We are not a participant. It's important we don't take sides in their domestic politics, indeed in the domestic politics of any neighbouring country. It is not wise and it will only complicate our bilateral relations. We deal with whoever is in power."

**** Where Have All The 'Kopi Hows Gone? <http://goodmorningyesterday.blogspot.com/2008/07/where-have-all-kopi-hows-gone.html>
by Good Morning Yesterday
At the time when guys of my generation were leaving school in the late sixties and seventies, coffee houses became very popular for young working adults.
/My only memories of coffee house are those in the Hong Kong drama serial. :-)/

**** Ex-Singaporean Gopalan Nair Arrested <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/358429/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
Gopalan Nair, a former Singaporean who currently faces two charges for insulting two High Court judges, has been arrested for disorderly behaviour in public and for using abusive words against police officers.

**** Poverty Looms In Isle Of Riches <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2008/7/5/columnists/insightdownsouth/21733914&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
If the PAP cannot improve the lives of the middle class and the poor, it could face a crisi in the 2011 election.

**** What Should Be The Role Of Media? <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2008/07/what-should-be-role-of-media.html>
by My Singapore News
We should have more opinionated pieces on issues local and foreign to give readers a chance to examine them more throughly and provoke into thinking a little more.
/We should have all kinds of reporting &mdash; "objective" and opinionated./

**** Students' And Bloggers' Reaction To Vivian Balakrishnan's RI Lecture <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/07/students%E2%80%99-and-bloggers%E2%80%99-reaction-to-vivian-balakrishnan%E2%80%99s-ri-lecture/>
by The Online Citizen

**** The State And The Media And Their Embarrassingly Passionate Embrace In Singapore <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2008/07/state-and-media-and-their.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
No one really believes that the Singapore press has its own indepndent opinions. Certainly not the Malaysian government.

**** Singapore's Poor Law <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/07/singapores-poor-law/>
by The Online Citizen
The government's much-lauded Workfare Scheme might actually end up doing very little for low-income groups. It could result in wages for low-income groups continuing to be depressed by lessening the incentive of employers to pay better wages.
/On a selfish level, I must wonder why I, as a taxpayer, must subsidise the rich tai-tais that employ cheap maids, the kopitiams that employ cheap cleaners, and the zhi-chai stall owners to emply cheap cooks./

**** Internet Start-Up Sues MediaCorp <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_254618.html>
by K. C. Vijayan and Chua Hian Hou, Straits Times
Legal tussle over online recordings of TV shows that web users can download.

**** Why Extend Bike Trial When It's A Done Deal? <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_254804.html>
by Cheang Peng Wah, Straits Times
It is clear that much extra work is being done just to accommodate cyclists on footpaths so as to produce a successful trial.
/We are now in the wayang phase./