[MyAppleMenu] Jul 3, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jul 3 13:15:02 EDT 2008

**** DJ Your Independence Day Party With Your Mac <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=1914>
by Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet.com
There are several ways to use your Mac to create a nice party atmosphere, here are some of the options.

**** Sync Your iTunes Libraries <http://www.macworld.com/article/133881/2008/07/syncitunes.html>
by Joe Kissell, Macworld
iTunes can easily share its content over your local network. Bt if you want a complete copy of your media library on more than on emac, you'll need to synchronize some files. However, merely copying, say, a folder full of AAC files from one Mac to another is not enough.

**** 10 Things We Love About Apple <http://www.t3.com/news/love-about-apple?=36087>
by Chris Smith, T3
The design, the flair, the innovation, the iPod... need we go on?

**** 10 Things We Hate About Apple <http://www.t3.com/news/hate-about-apple?=36086>
by Duncan Bell, T3
The polo-necks, the smuggery, the price, Bono, Apple TV... Need we go on?

**** Twitterrific 3.1 <http://www.macworld.com/article/133986/2008/07/twitterrific3.html>
by Dan Moren, Macworld
In ordr to /truly/ experience Twitter to the fullest, you really need to be using an external client, like the Iconfactory's truly excellent Twitterrific 3.1.

**** Deveopers Satisfied With Apple's Enterprise Work <http://www.macworld.com/article/134274/2008/07/enterprise.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
Overall, Mac developers seem pleased with Apple's position on the enterprise market. While a little more promotion might be nice, focusing on growing the business seems to be in everyone's best interest.

**** Ultrathin Laptop Showdown <http://reseller.co.nz/reseller.nsf/review/8B12C60ADCDDEEB1CC25747B000AB4F3>
by David Haskin, Reseller News
Although the other laptops also had their strengths, the bottom line is a clear win in usability and user perception for the MacBook Air.

**** Why OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Should Leave PowerPC In The Cold <http://apcmag.com/Content.aspx?id=2569>
by Seamus Byrne, APC
If Snow Leopard is all about a bedrock for the future of computing, why do so many people still call for their legacy hardware to be supported?

**** Hello: Macs Are About To Get Interesting Again <http://cultofmac.com/hello-macs-are-about-to-get-interesting-again/2221>
by Pete Mortensen, Cult Of Mac
The public is ready for Apple to really tear it up with a killer line of new computers. Incredible new hardware and emerging standards will push the limits of what we thought Macs could do.

**** Apple On iPhone Plan Pricing: What's So Complicated? <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2008/07/apple_on_iphone.html>
by Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek
So Apple called today, a little annoyed with my portrayal yesterday of AT&amp;T's iPhone pricing.

**** How To Launch An iPhone: A Tale Of Two Videos <http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/07/02/how-to-launch-an-iphone-a-tale-of-two-videos/>
by Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune
What would AT&amp;T's video &mdash; or for that matter, the July 11 launch &mdash; look like if they had been produced by the folks who designed the Apple Store?

**** Some General Tips For Switch To Mac From Windows <http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20080702/some-general-tips-for-switch-to-mac-from-windows/>
by Walter S. Mossberg, AllThingsD
Here's a quick tip sheet explaining a few of the most common differences in the daily use of Windows XP, from which most people would be switching, and Apple's Mac OS X Leopard, which switchers would be adopting.

**** iPod Commercials Are The New Ad Outlet For Music Artists <http://tigerweekly.com/article/07-02-2008/8737>
by Kayla Faigoust, Tiger Weekly
As the art form formally known as the music video dies on the shelves of MTV executives, one last music outlet exists in the form of Apple's iPod commercials.

**** Google Talk Coming To The iPhone. Death Of The Text Message Approaching? <http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008/07/02/google-talk-comes-iphone-death-text-message-approaching>
by MG Siegler, The Industry Standard
Google has unveiled a web-based version of its Google Talk instant messanging client specifically built for the iPhone. Quite simply: It's amazing &mdash; but it has limitations.

**** The iPhone's Cross-Border Price Clash <http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080702.wriphone03/BNStory/Technology/home>
by Simon Avery and Matt Hartley, Globe And Mail
The summer launch of the iPhone in Canada was supposed to be a time for Rogers Wireless Communications Inc. to celebrate. Instead, the company with exclusive rights to the hottest new tech gadget finds itself on the defensive, stung by public criticism over pricing.

**** Apple iPhone Four Months Behind OS X In Patches <http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2008/07/apple_iphone_four_months_behin_1.html?nav=rss_blog>
by Brian Krebs, Washington Post
It might surprise iPhone users to learn that the latest security update available for the iPhone dates back to February, and that a number of serious security vulnerabilities that Apple long ago patched in OS X remain unaddressed in the most recent version of the iPhone.

**** Apple To .Mac Subscribers: Sync Bookmarks By Sunday <http://www.macworld.com/article/134279/2008/07/mobileme_bookmarks.html>
by Philip Michaels, Macworld
.Mac subscribers who want to keep any bookmarks they've saved through the online service should sync those bookmarks with their Mac by July 6, Apple said Wednesday.
/And remember to send that one last iCard, too. :-)/

**** Acer, Apple, Dell, And HP Sued For Patent Infringement <http://www.informationweek.com/news/management/legal/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=208801678>
by Thomas Claburn, InformationWeek

**** Adobe Releases Reader 9 <http://www.macworld.com/article/134267/2008/07/reader.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Acrobat 9 features native support for Adobe Flash, so PDF documents can now contain Flash video and other multimedia content.

**** GraphicConverter 6.1.1 Adds New Features <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/07/02/graphicconverter.611/>
by MacNN
The new features include decoding of all images with mime attachments, a set label in operator function and a sort by label and/or creation date option in the browser.

**** Cocktail Utility Updated For Mac OS X 10.5.4 <http://www.macworld.com/article/134257/2008/07/cocktail.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Cocktail puts a graphical user itnerface on many of Mac OS X's advanced Unix functions that are otherwise accessible only by using the Terminal application and a command line interface. It combines maintenance tools and interface tweaks broken out into five basic categories.

**** Social Media Is The Future Of Politics... And Independence! <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jerry-weinstein/social-media-is-the-futur_b_110409.html>
by Huffington Post
Just as media has grappled with, and now leverages, user-generated content, politics is experiencing its first brush with /viewer-generated-activism/.

**** Five Realities Of Google Or Any Other Workplace Wonderland <http://blogs.zdnet.com/careers/?p=108>
by Deb Perelman, ZDNet.com

**** Google Ad Deal Is Under Scrutiny <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/07/01/ST2008070102640.html>
by Peter Whoriskey, Washington Post
The Justice Department has opened a formal antitrust investigation into a deal struck last month that would allow internet titan Google to provide some search advertising for Yahoo, according to sources familiar with the inquiry.

**** Major Road Closures During Singapore's F1 Race <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_254213.html>
by Leonard Lim and Yeo Ghim Lay, Straits Times
With the Formula One race set to roll into town in late September, Singaporeans can expect extensive road closures in the City Hall and Marina Centre area.
/With the government extracting huge amount of money from the hotels around the area, I wonder if the government is paying compensations to all the shops affected by the loss of human traffic during the race./

**** On Patriotism <http://agentsarego.blogspot.com/2008/07/on-patriotism.html>
by Wary Of The Waves
And in my whole 2 decades and a third of life in Singapore, no one ever told me what patriotism should mean to me.

**** When The Media Starts To Smell Fishy <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2008/07/something-smells-fishy-here.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
And what about old media &mdash; would it reinforce only the "right" ideas? Well, perhaps you would say so. Especially if you belong to the ruling party and the state controls all the old media organisations. Including the ideas that the media organisations write about.

**** Singapore Government's Comfort With New Media <http://www.mrbiao.com/blog/singapore-governments-comfort-with-new-media.html>
by This Lush Garden Within
The government would appear to be working for the benefit of the dominant political party, rather than the other way round.

**** Old And New Singapore <http://stonemole.wordpress.com/2008/07/03/old-and-new-singapore/>
by Stonemole
I am always struck when I go to Singapore by the juxtaposition of old and new buildings all around the country.

**** Why Doesn't Chee Sue MM? <http://simplygab.blogspot.com/2008/07/why-doesnt-chee-sue-mm.html>
by Gabriel Sim, Simply Gab

**** Of Governments And New Technologies <http://www.toomanythoughts.org/blog/2008/07/of-governments-and-new-technologies.html>
by Tym Blogs Too
So one is releasing information out there in the hope of getting something good back in return, while the other is still concerned with the Sisyphean task of outshouting the crazies.
As a tax-paying citizen, I certainly know which project I'd rather my government be working on.

**** The Illustrious Press Freedom Topic Again... <http://perrytong.blogspot.com/2008/07/illustrious-press-freedom-topic-again.html>
by Perry Tong, A Singaporean
Is the press then to be held liable and responsible for what is today a truth and proved to be a lie tomorrow? Or vice-versa?

**** How 'Public' Is Singapore's Public Transporation System? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/07/how-public-is-spores-public-transportation-system/>
by Alton Tan, The Online Citizen
Will the government only finally step in when low/middle income citizens resort to bicycles as a form of transportation and public transport becomes nothing but a luxury for the poor?

**** IBA Says It Did Not Send Letter That LKY Testified It Did <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/component/content/article/1-singapore/576-breaking-news-iba-says-it-did-not-send-letter-that-lky-testified-it-did->
by Singapore Democratic Party
IBA has confirmed to the SDP that there was no such letter. According to the IBA its president did not write such a letter. The Law Society of Singapore has also denied that it has received any such letter from the IBA.

**** The New Authoritarianism <http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/jul/01/civilliberties>
by John Kampfner, The Guardian
A modern form of authoritarianism, quite distinct from Soviet Communism, Maoism of Fascism, is being born. It is providing a modicum of a good life, and a quiet life, the ultimate anaesthetic for the brain.

**** Leave It To Our Readers To Judge <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/262940.asp>
by P N Balji, Today
We will leave it to our readers to judge us on that.
See Also: 'Treat With Much More Circumspection Allegations...' <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/262917.asp>, by Dato'n Prameswaran, High Commissioner of Malaysia to Singapore.