[MyAppleMenu] Jul 1, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jul 1 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** AT&amp;T To Offer iPhone Without Contract For $400 More <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aL5mOsGJ5bfk&refer=home>
by Crayton Harrison, Bloomberg
Customers can buy the new handset, which uses speedier third-generation technology, for $599 if they don't want to commit to using AT&amp;T's network, the Dallas-based company said today in a statement.

**** AT&amp;T iPhone 3G Price Details <http://www.macrumors.com/2008/07/01/atandt-iphone-3g-pricing-details/>
by Jeff Longo, MacRumors.com
AT&amp;T has announced detailed pricing information for its iPhone 3G plans.

**** Getting Ready To Support Mac On The Corporate Network <http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/helpdesk/?p=245>
by Tricia Liebert, TechRepublic

**** Changes 1.0 <http://www.macworld.com/article/133946/2008/07/changes1gem.html>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
If you've got two folders that you want to have the same contents, or if you're just trying to figure out which of two folders has the latest versions of your files&mdash;Skorpiostech's Changes 1.0.4 can help.

**** No 'Apple Effect' Seen For NAND Market <http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=208801769>
by Mark LaPedus, EE Times
What happened to the "Apple effect" that is supposed to ignite the worldwide NAND flash-memory market?

**** 17-Inch MacBook Pro Is A Thing To Behold <http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/tech/drmac/5864902.html>
by Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle
It's the fastest, most powerful and most capable notebook I've tested.

**** SproutCore: Apple's Path To iLife Online? <http://apcmag.com/sproutcore_apples_path_to_ilife_online.htm>
by Seamus Byrne, APC
By bringing Cocoa development into the land of pure Javascript, SproutCore has the long-term potential to give Apple the power to deploy core desktop applications to users on any platform while avoiding the proprietary traps associated with Adobe Flash or Microsoft Silverlight.

**** OS X Leopard For Physicists <http://fliptomato.wordpress.com/2008/06/30/os-x-leopard-for-physicists/>
by An American Physics Student In England

**** The iPhone's Love/Hate Relationship With Hackers <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/30/iphone_birthday/>
by Dave Jewell, The Register
I foresee an increasingly fractured marketplace developing around the iPhone. In one camp you will have tons of games available from App Store and in the other, tons of very clever utilities and productivity enhancements from the rest of us.

**** A World Ruled By Apple <http://blogs.zdnet.com/carroll/?p=1850>
by John Carroll, ZDNet.com
Software is still the great leveler. There's just a lot more agreement regarding common terms of software discourse, thus making it less necessary for any one company to provide all the terms itself.

**** 7 Weeks Later: Life Without MS Office <http://cultofmac.com/7-weeks-later-life-without-ms-office/2203>
by Leigh McMullen, Cult Of Mac
The big surprise is that I also can't live without iWork.

**** Safari 3.1.2 Fixes Critical Security Flaws <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/06/30/safari.312.fixes.flaws/>
by MacNN
Apple on Monday released Safari 3.1.2 for Mac OS X 10.4.11, which fixes an issue that could lead to arbitrary code execution and patched another flaw that was previously corrected in the Mac version.

**** Inside The OS X 10.5.4 Update <http://www.macworld.com/article/134230/2008/06/1054update.html>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld

**** Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.5.4 <http://www.macworld.com/article/134227/2008/06/osx.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
Apple on Monday released Mac OS X 10.5.4 fixing several issues with iCal, AirPort, Safari, and Spaces &amp; Expose.

**** Touch Computing Hits Its Stride <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jun2008/tc20080630_616405.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_technology>
by Aaron Ricadela, BusinessWeek
Microsoft's Surface and other touch-sensitive products can simplify complicated interactions, but are software makers and consumers game?

**** Adobe To Help Reveal 'Invisible' Flash Web Content <http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9981616-7.html>
by Steven Musil, CNET News.com
Adobe has given Google and Yahoo optimized Adobe Flash Player technology to help them better index dynamic web content and rich internet applications that include the Flash file format, or Shockwave Flash (SWF), Adobe said in a statement Monday.

**** When In The Uterine Empyrean They Told Me <http://www.slate.com/id/2188038/?from=rss>
by Patrick Donnelly, Slate

**** No Suggestive Photos In Dating Agency Ads <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_253524.html>
by Straits Times
/It's the return of ASCII art. :-)/

**** The Love Guru Comedy Rated NC16 For Its Raunchy Humour <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_253571.html>
by Boon Chan, Straits Times
The censors have received feedback that the Mike Myer's film might be 'religiously sensitive,' said the Media Developement Authority in a statement on Tuesday.

**** Watch What You Write, Singapore Media TOld <http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/85406>
by Malaysiakini
The Malaysia high commissioner to Singapore has taken personal exception to a news article on Rosmah Mansor, the wife of deputy prime minister Najib Abdul Razak, hinting this could well lead to bilateral relations being strained again. The article, 'First Lady-in-waiting', was published in English-language daily /Today/ on June 27.

**** Scrap Car And Get PARF, COE Rebates In Cash From Sept 1 <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_253500.html>
by Straits Times
Reversing a rule that dates back more than three decades, the government will allow motorists to get their scrap and COE rebates in cash when they deregister their cars from Sept 1. The move, announced by the Land Transport Authority on Tuesday, is to make it easier for car owners to give up their cars and switch to public transport.

**** Some Random Thoughts On Singapore On My Last Day Abroad <http://blogs.hoosiertimes.com/world/2008/07/01/some-random-thoughts-on-singapore-on-my-last-day-abroad/>
by World Enough And Time
The cost of living here must be astronomical, I think.

**** Tampines Cycling Footpath Trial Stretched By 6 Months <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_253495.html>
by Yeo Ghim Lay, Straits Times
Minister for national development Mah Bow Tan said that while the majority of residents responded well to the trial, it will be extended so more can be done to ensure that cyclists and pedestrians have an easier time on footpaths.
/The cynic in me thinks that the original trial did not meet the targets that enable cyclists to move onto pedestrian footpaths, so the trial is extended so that "things" can be "fine-tuned". The decision has been made; now it's just to make sure the evidence supporting the decision will exist in the next six months./

**** New Formula For Public Transport Fare Revision To Be Out This Week <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_253492.html>
by Christopher Tan, Straits Times
The previous fare formula was based on inflation, wages of commuters and the productivity of the transport operators, with weightage given to inflation. If that formula was still in place, fares could rise by 3.85 per cent - or about five cents per ride - from October.
Next year, the increase in public transport fares could be far higher as inflation is now hovering at a 26-year high of 7.5 per cent.

**** Diversity Through Migration <http://www.cscollege.gov.sg/cgl/pub_ethos_7l1.htm#top>
by Philippe Legrain, Centre For Governance And Leadership
The benefits of migration and diversity are significant. Ultimately, they are key factors of why cities are a catalyst for innovation and are so economically successful. Thus countries&mdash;and cities&mdash;that do not attract newcomers increasingly risk falling behind.

**** Leaving No One Behind! <http://nofearsingapore.blogspot.com/2008/07/leaving-no-one-behind.html>
by Huang Shoou Chyuan, nofearSingapore
How do we ensure that it is going in the direction that we want to go? And that all of us will arrive in one piece - preferably better off than when we first left?

**** Two Views Of Freedom Of Speech And Law In Singapore <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121478977581714883.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
by Yeong Yoong Ying, Press Secretary to Minister Mentor, Singapore, and Andrew T. Cheng, Wall Street Journal
Many opposition politicians routinely criticize government leaders, but are not sued because they have not uttered slanderous falsehoods. Contrary to your editorial, Singapore upholds free speech and the right to disagree, subject to the law.

**** Easing The Train Crush <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/262537.asp>
by Leong Wee Keat, Today
First parallel bus service to run from Monday, but commuters say trains may still be faster.
/Of course trains will be faster. And that's why the new bus service should be priced cheaper than the train service, so that those who cannot afford the train service can opt for a cheaper yet slower transportation mode./

**** New Blood In Workers' Party <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/262541.asp>
by Zul Othman, Today

**** Some Question If Singapore Is Ready For Free Debate At Upcoming Liberal Arts College <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/357368/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
Singapore may see its first liberal arts college soon, but with its emphasis on freedom of debate, some have questioned if Singapore's society is ready for the challenge.
/We will never be ready for anything if we don't try./