[MyAppleMenu] Dec 5, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Dec 5 13:15:01 EST 2008

**** The Debate Resumes Over Mac Security <http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=security_hardware_and_software&articleId=9122559&taxonomyId=145&intsrc=kc_feat>
by Michael DeAgonia, Computerworld
The BSD code underpinning Mac OS X goes a long way toward preventing malware problems &mdash; as any Linux and Unix user can attest - and there's a decided lack of interest in the Mac from cybercriminals.

**** More Big Names Downsiging, Pulling Out Of Macworld Expo <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/12/04/more_big_names_downsizing_pulling_out_of_macworld_expo.html>
by Aidan Malley and Kasper Jade, AppleInsider
Those familiar with show organizer IDG's trouble snote that the Adobe pullout has now been accompanied by Belkin and Seagate. The move is deemed especially surprising for Belkin, which is believed to have already paid for its booth space this year.

**** Apple More Closed Than Microsoft <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/04/apple_more_closed_than_microsoft/>
by Dale Vile, The Register
Those of us making a more objective assessment of what's going on look at how Apple's business is evolving and see a lot of similar traits to those that were apparent as Microsoft was gaining power.

**** Apple In-Ear Headphones Hands-On, Ears-On, And Impressions <http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/04/apple-in-ear-headphones-hands-on-ears-on-and-impressions/>
by Joshua Topolsky, Engadget
They not only sound really, /really/ good (warm lows and crisp highs, a distinct lack of that modern, pushy mid-range), but they /do/ work with the iPhone (the 3G we've got here, at least).

**** FuzzMeasure Pro 3.1 Brings New Measurements <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/12/04/fuzzmeasure.pro.31.update/>
by MacNN

**** Apple Faces Another 3G Speed Lawsuit <http://www.macworld.com/article/137339/2008/12/3gsuit.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** Smartphone Numbers Are In: iPhone Sales Exceed Windows Mobile Sales For First Time <http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/04/smartphone-numbers-are-in-iphone-sales-exceed-windows-mobile-sa/>
by Darren Murph, Engadget

**** Review: 17-Inch MacBook Pro 2.5GHz <http://www.macworld.com/article/137329/2008/12/macbookproreview.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by James Galbraith, Macworld
The changes to this latest version are subtle, and there are, most likely, more substantial changes for Apple's largest laptop down the road, but if you can stand carrying the extra weight, or require a matte screen, the 17-inch MacBook Pro is a big, beautiful, and fast portable.

**** Netflix Offers Up Streaming To All Mac Users <http://www.macworld.com/article/137330/2008/12/netflix_streaming.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Moren, Macworld

**** Minimize Desktop Distractions <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9908>
by Doug McLean, TidBITS

**** Google Brings Google Earth To Mac Browsers <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/12/04/google-brings-google-earth-to-mac-browsers>
by David Chartier, Ars Technica

**** Apple, AT&amp;T Ask Court To Dismiss 3G Speed Lawsuit <http://www.macworld.com/article/137320/2008/12/appleatt.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** Back-Button To The Future <http://www.technologyreview.com/web/21769/?a=f>
by Erica Naone, MIT Technology Review
A new tool makes it easier to see the web changing over time.

**** 'Wishful Drinking' By Carrie Fisher <http://www.latimes.com/features/books/la-et-book4-2008dec04,0,3264137.story?track=rss>
by Matthew DeBord, Los Angeles Times
You could say this book is a blistering stream of witty comments, or a dazzling romp through the experiences of a woman who once sought drug-addiction counsel from Cary Grant. But it isn't really about any of that. It's about the dizzying, dissonant music of Carrie Fisher's existence.

**** Nuclear Power Possible: PM <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_310812.html>
by AFP
Singapore may consider using nuclear power and culd even look into building an underground plant because of its limited space, prime minister Lee Hsien Loong said on Friday.

**** Singapore Unsure Where Militant Is <http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24757545-12335,00.html>
by AFP
Singapore does not know if the country's most wanted man is still in the country more than nine months after the alleged Jemaah Islamiah terror cell leader escaped from detention, prime minister Lee Hsien Loong says. "We don't know. He could be here, he could be overseas," Lee said.
Two months after the escape, home affairs minister Wong Kan Seng told parliament that security agencies believed Kastari was still in Singapore, but analysts said Kastari had likely fled to nearby Indonesia.

**** Muddy Singapore Swallows China Workers <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2008/yax-962.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
The source of the problem is the employer, but by action or inaction, our government is abetting all these abuses, ranging from cheating people of their wages, to robbery of their handphones, to kidnap.

**** Singapore's Lee Defends Performance Of Temasek, GIC In Banks <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=a87XCYeeu1z4&refer=asia>
by Shamim Adam and Chen Shiyin, Bloomberg
Singapore's prime minister Lee Hsien Loong defended the performance of the city's state-owned investment companies after a plunge in the value of their stakes in Citigroup Inc., Merrill Lynch &amp; Co. and other global banks.
"The situation looks a lot gloomier now than when <GIC and Temasek Holdings> went in but these are long-term investment. It looks under water now, but the situation can change," Lee told the Foreign Correspondents Asociation at a lunch today. "But if you are taking a long-term view, you have to be in on the downs as well as the ups."

**** Sustainable Singapore - My Trip To Marina Barrage <http://maltzajava.net/2008/12/sustainable-singapore-my-trip-to-marina-barrage/>
by City-State Life
Environmentalism is big here. Lot of 'green' promotions and recycling centers. Interestingly, I rarely see bottle/plastic recycling, but they are getting there.

**** Responsible Blogging, Self-Censoring? <http://www.deadpris.com/2008/12/05/responsible-blogging-self-censoring/>
by Deadpris

**** Singapore Fling <http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?we_cat=16&art_id=75310&sid=21761021&con_type=3&d_str=&fc=9>
by Ivy Ong-Wood, The Standard
Ever since I came to Hong Kong a year ago, I've been on a quest for genuine Singapore/Malaysian food I know from home. It hasn't been easy, as most I've tasted have been watered down to suit the local palate. But I'm glad to say I have located two that have stuck to their guns and are serving the spicy cuisine as authentically as possible.

**** Expat Life In Singapore: Sitting Comfortably? <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?xml=/global/2008/12/04/expat-in-singapore.xml>
by Rosie Milne, Telegraph

**** Death Over CCA: Every Child's Voice Should Be Heard <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_310507.html>
by Samuel Wittberger, Straits Times