[MyAppleMenu] Apr 24, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Apr 24 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Apple Never Did Bare Bones <http://www.itwire.com/content/view/17834/1151/>
by Stephen Withers, iTWire
Apple generally doesn't offer minimal specifications with the primary purpose of advertising them at low prices as a starting point for optioning-up to more realistic, more expensive and also more profitable configurations.

**** Jobs Still Hearts Intel <http://blogs.wsj.com/biztech/2008/04/24/jobs-still-hearts-intel/?mod=WSJBlog>
by Nick Wingfield, Wall Street Journal
"We have a great partnership with Intel," Jobs said. "We expect that to continue forever."

**** Apple's Open Secret <http://www.forbes.com/home_asia/2008/04/23/apple-new-iphone-tech-ebiz-cx_bc_0423iphone.html>
by Brian Caulfield, Forbes
By sticking with its promise to sell 10 million iPhones in 2008 on a call with analysts Wednesday&mdash;even as it announced sales of just 1.7 million handsets during the current quarter&mdash;the secretive Cupertino. Calfi.-basd computer and gadget maker made it plain that it's about to overhaul its iPhone lineup.

**** SDK Showdown: Apple iPhone Vs Google Android <http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,145035-c,cellphones/article.html>
by Brad Reed, Network World

**** Apple Safari Vulnerable To Multiple Attacks <http://www.news.com/8301-10789_3-9926740-57.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Robert Vamosi, CNET News.com
Safari users may be subject to crashes or interactions with an attacker's malicious site, according to a warning posted on Tuesday on BugTraq.

**** Apple To Wall St.: Unlocked iPhones Good For Apple Sales <http://www.crn.com/it-channel/207401681;jsessionid=YR3MZY1T3NZSQQSNDLOSKH0CJUNN2JVN>
by Jennifer Lawinski, ChannelWeb
Apple Tim Cook told analysts and investors that the company expects to hit its target and sell 10 million iPhones this year, and that unlocked iPhones are just evidence of the phone's popularity.

**** Innovation Comes Cheap At Apple <http://blogs.wsj.com/biztech/2008/04/23/innovation-comes-cheap-at-apple/>
by Ben Worthen, Wall Street Journal
Apple is widely viewed as one of, if not the, most innovative company in the world. But innovation at Apple comes cheap compared to other tech companies. Of the industry's 50 most prolific investors in research and development, Apple spends the least as a percentage of revenue.

**** Apple's PA Semi Buyout Motivated By Assets, Not Products <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/04/23/apples_pa_semi_buyout_motivated_by_assets_not_products.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider
Despite speculation that Apple's acquisition of PA Semiconductor was motivated by the chip maker's specific products, a new report reveals that the iPhone designer is interested more in the buyout for its promises of intellectual proeprty and development expertise.
See Also:
DoD May Push Back On Apple's P.A. Semi Bid <http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207401605>, by Rick Meritt, EE Times.

**** Is Apple Going Back To The PowerPC? <http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=315>
by Robin Harris, ZDNet.com
Apple's hardware independence means they can change the game any time they want.

**** How Apple Is Preparing For An iPod Slump <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/how-apple-is-preparing-for-an-ipod-slump/>
by Saul Hansell, New York Times
Apple stands out as one company that has been able to flip its business forward so well that it is in a great position to thrive, even if its iPod problems become more than little.

**** Dairy Dash Causal Game Released <http://www.macworld.com/article/133136/2008/04/dairydash.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** Apple Plans Update To Remedy Video Problem On 5G iPods <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/04/23/apple-plans-update-to-remedy-video-problem-on-5g-ipods>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

**** Wrestling With DVD Region Coding <http://www.macworld.com/article/133147/2008/04/wrestledvdregion.html>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Apple's Q2 Earnings: What Economic Downturn? <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2008/04/apples_q2_earni.html?campaign_id=rss_blog_byteoftheapple>
by Peter Burrows, BusinessWeek

**** Apple Reports Record Q2 Financials <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9581>
by Adam C. Engst, TidBITS
Apple has released its Q2 2008 financial report, showing strong results pretty much across the board. Quarterly revenues were $7.51 billion, leading to a net profit of $1.05 billion, or $1.16 per share.
Most compelling was the increase in Mac sales, up 51 percent in unit sales from the year-ago quarter and up 54 percent in revenue.

**** Apple Enhances QuickTime Security With Anti-Exploitation Technologies <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9579>
by Rich Mogull, TidBITS

**** Tim O'Reilly: We Are In A 'Soup Of Computing' <http://www.news.com/8301-13953_3-9927418-80.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Dan Farber, CNET News.com

**** It's A Boy! The Science Of Gender Selection <http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-wellbeing/features/its-a-boy-the-science-of-gender-selection-814626.html>
by Jeremy Laurance, The Independent
Can your diet really determine the sex of your child? Scientists this week declared that first-time mothers who consume more calories around the time of coneption are more likely to give birth to boys. The throeis surrounding gender selection are as outlandish as they are numerous. So what should we believe?

**** Thank You Singaporeans! <http://leelilian.blogspot.com/2008/04/thank-you-singaporeans.html>
by Lee Lilian, The Itch To Write
I don't think that it was an honest mistake made... it was a case of negligence due to complacency.

**** The Debate For Mas Selamat Rages On <http://v-archive.blogspot.com/2008/04/thats-life.html>
by Jump Into The Sea
PAP risks the ire and cynicism of the electorate. But to tell the truth, I doubt it's going to matter come by election time. People will forget this whole debacle and we will all move on.

**** Cabbies' Earnings Up Despite Fare Hike <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_230647.html>
by Maria Almeanoar, Straits Times
ComfortDelgro, the largest taxi operator here with about 15,000 of the country's 24,000 taxis, saw a 16 per cent increase in takings for a cabby's full day of work.

**** Singapore Government Fines TV Station For Gay Show <http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/04/24/singapore_fines_tv_station_for_gay_show/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+Latest+news>
by Associated Press
A Singapore television station has been fined for airing a show that depicted a gay couple and their baby in a way that "promotes a gay lifestyle," the city-state's media regulator said Thursday
The Media Development Authority fined MediaCorp TV Channel 5 $11,000, it said in a statement on its web site, for airing an episode of a home and decor series called "Find and Design."

**** Good Leadership, High Principles, ... And High Pay... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2008/04/good-leadership-high-principles-and.html>
by Diary Of A Singaporean Mind
Of course, when it comes to the opposition, we cannot "just move on so easkly."

**** Bullet Train Dream <http://quachee.blogspot.com/2008/04/bullet-train-dream.html>
by Quachee's Blog

**** ST's Mas Selamat Coverage Bad For The ST, Worse For Singapore <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/04/24/toc-editorial-st%E2%80%99s-mas-selamat-coverage-bad-for-the-st-worse-for-singapore/>
by theonlinecitizen
The STs' selective coverage and equivocal editorial position risks damaging its own credibility in the long run.

**** Mas Selamat And Government Responsibility <http://siewkumhong.blogspot.com/2008/04/mas-selamat-and-government.html>
by Siew Kum Hong
What has been said about government responsibility, seems to frame the entire discussion around ministers being managers. But ministers are leaders as well. They are /our/ leaders. And they have to demonstrate leadershi, to retain the moral authority that leaders need to have.

**** Singapore Employers Expect Slower Job Growth <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/343369/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia
Employers in Singapore are bracing for a slower job market growth this year, according to the Singapore National Employers' Federation (SNEF).
Its presdient, Stephen Lee, said that job growth this year will moderate to about 3 to 4 percent, compared to the 7.7 percent registered in 2007.

**** Between A Rock And A Hard Place <http://aaron-ng.info/blog/between-a-rock-and-a-hard-place.html>
by Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
It's either we create a culture of aversion to mistakes or we create a modern day nobility. We have to choose between a rock and a hard place. And, the choice has been made for all of us.

**** Cover Up? Cover Down? <http://perrytong.blogspot.com/2008/04/cover-up-cover-down.html>
by A Singaporean

**** Mas Selamat Part Deux <http://onedimensionalman.wordpress.com/2008/04/24/mas-selamat-part-deux/>
by The One Dimensional Island
It was a shrewd move to focus entirely on the extreme measure of the sack and argue that it's ridiculous, thereby deflecting the necessary need for censure.

**** School Canteens Feel Pinch Of Rising Food Prices <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_230460.html>
by Eugene Neubronner, Straits Times

**** Nobody Will Be Punished But Us <http://whowherewhichwhatwhenwhy.blogspot.com/2008/04/nobody-will-be-punished-but-us.html>
by ;Perspective
Such superior authorities I see them as figureheads as their men do all the shit work and get all the blame when things screwed-up, but they'll still be seated nicely on their throne and continue to have their salary increments annually.

**** Responsibility And Accountability... What About Conscience? <http://www.mr-endoh.com/singapore/responsibility-accountability-what-about-conscience/>
by Endoh Pure Ranting Room
Mr (Insignificant) Endoh says, "If a prime minister generate the culture that no minister should be punished and (is) afrid to do something to take responsibilities over his ministry's failure - as Singaporeans always say - would be the biggest mockery of all."

**** Walter Woon - Attorney General <http://article14.blogspot.com/2008/04/walter-woon-attorney-general.html>
by Article 14
Walter Woon is now the AG. Chan Sek Keong is the chief justice. How would the intellectually honest perform?

**** Reflections From The Runway <http://www.syracuse.com/articles/dailydose/index.ssf?/base/entertainment-1/120894114915030.xml&coll=1>
by Ngoc Huynh, The Post-Standard
Why do folks back home in Singaproe look down on the arts?

**** As Inflation Hits Home, Will Wages Suffer? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/250026.asp>
by Esther Fung, Today
As inflation in March hit 6.7 per cent, marking yet another 26-year high, businesses are beginning to feel the pain.
For the salaired employee, this raises the worry of whether employers will resort to reducing wages in order to cut costs.

**** Don't Demoralise MHA By Punishing The Minister <http://singaporepatriot.blogspot.com/2008/04/dont-demoralise-mha-by-punishing.html>
by Gerald Giam, SIngapore Patriot
If the logic goes taht a minister should not be punished for a lapse that occurs down theline, then he will /never/ get punished for /anything/, because everything the minister "does" is actually done by his civil servants.

**** The DPM And PM Should Answer Questions Instead Of Side-Stepping Them <http://www.choongyong.com/2008/04/24/the-dpm-and-pm-should-answer-questions-instead-of-side-stepping-them/>
by Choongyong.com