[MyAppleMenu] Sep 19, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Sep 19 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** A Game Of Cat And Mouse: The iPhone, Steve Jobs And An Army Of Blind Hackers <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9781162-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Chris Soghoian, CNET News.com
My suspicion is that Apple will not want to risk losing the golden-egg laying DMCA goose, and thus, will stick to frequent software updates for the iPhone that break community written applications. Wy sue when you can patch?

**** Top Funds Joined Apple Dissenters <http://www.contracostatimes.com/technology/ci_6935081?nclick_check=1>
by Troy Wolverton, San Jose Mercury News
When Apple held its annual meeting in May, activist investors made a lot of noise about the company's backdating scandal and the job Apple directors were doing.
It turns out that these generally small but vocal shareholders weren't alone in their concerns. Many of the leading mutual fund investors in Apple &mdash; including household names such as Vanguard and Oppenheimer &mdash; sided with the activists, recent regulatory filings reveal.

**** Apple Demands Dismissal Of Burst.com iPod Suit <http://www.macworld.co.uk/business/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=19143>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Apple legal has requested the dismissal of a patent-infringement lawsuit bought against it by Burst.com.

**** iPhone To Launch Nov 9 On T-Mobile In Germany <http://ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/iphone-to-launch-nov-9-on-t-mobile-in-germany/>
by Charles Starrett, iLounge
Apple and T-Mobile announced today that T-Mobile will be the exclusive German carrier for the iPhone when it launches in that country on Nov 9.

**** Why I Support iPhone Hacking <http://www.macnn.com/blogs/?p=411>
by Don Reisinger, MacNN
iPhone hacking is good, it makes our lives easier and better. Why should anyone discourage this form of art?

**** Apple Promises 3G iPhone For 2008 <http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/10212/11236/apple-iphone-3g-coming-2008.phtml>
by Sutart Miles, Pocket-lint.co.uk
Making the comments at the "Mum is no longer the word" press conference at the Regent Street Apple store in London, Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple said: "You can expect a 3G iPhone later next year".
See Also:
If True, Jobs Quote Of "A 3G iPhone Later Next Year" Should Kill Demand For iPhone 1.0 <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=782>, by David Berlind, ZDNet.

**** iPhone Wedding Gets Mixed Reception <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7001203.stm>
by Rory Cellan-Jones, BBC News

**** Review: iPod Touch <http://playlistmag.com/reviews/2007/09/ipodttouch/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Christopher Breen, Playlist
For some expecting a hybrid of the iPod and iPhone, the touch will come as a disappointment. But even without skewed expectations, the iPod touch is an imperfect player&mdash;offering a somewhat arbitrary feature set, no physical or remote controls for adjusting volume or controlling the player, very restricted video output capabilities, and, at best, an under-whelming display (and, at worst, one that's virtually unwatchable when viewing dark video).

**** Paying More And Paying Twice For Less <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/09/ringtonesscam/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
OK, so Apple's got the better deal. But is that anything to crow about? You're still being forced by a song /twice/ just to be able to use a few seconds of that song as a ringtone&mdash;ironically, on the /very same device/ on which you can already play it as a music track!

**** Yet Another Problem With The New iPods?
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu

>From MacInTouch <http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/ipodclassic/index.html>, here's another distrubing information I've found regarding Apple's new line of iPods...

Steven Wicinski: On my 5G iPod, if I make a smart playlist of podcasts or audiobooks, it will play them one after the other, which I like, since it makes no sense to have to deal with the distractions of going back to where I was to pick another episode. However, with my nano, it works different, playing just one entry in the playlist then stopping (how this is helpful or wanted is beyond me).
Is this true? If so, the new line of iPods is getting more and more unattractive to me...

**** Mark Cuban Switches To A Mac <http://gracefulflavor.net/2007/09/18/mark-cuban-switches-to-a-mac/>
by Graceful Flavor
People switch brands and allegiances every day, but I can't think of another product that carries the consumer word-of-mouth momentum as Apple.

**** iPhone Comes To Europe - First Take <http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analysts/gartenberg/archives/2007/09/iphone_comes_to.html>
by Michael Gartenberg, JupiterResearch
This is not a sprint for Apple but rather a marathon. Apple has already demonstrated that while not early to market, they are a powerful and relevant force with the abbility to capture the mind share of consumers.

**** Apple May Benefit From EU Ruling On Microsoft <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2184562,00.asp>
by Daniel Drew Turner, eWeek
Should Microsoft comply with the EU's decison and publish full server protocols, Matthew Sparby, a tecnology consultant, said, Mac OS X server products&mdash;including Mac OS X Server and the Xserve hardware&mdash;could gain these features.

**** CBS Says Staying Out Of iTunes Pricing Battle <http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKWEN104420070918?rpc=44>
by Reuters
CBS Corp does not plan to fight Apple Inc over the pricing of television shows sold on the iTunes online media store, CBS chief executive Les Moonves said on Tuesday.

**** Bombich Unveils Carbon Copy Clone 3 <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/09/18/ccc/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
Users have better control over what gets backed up, and are provided with detailed information about the progress of their backup.

**** Age Of Empires III <http://www.macnn.com/reviews/age-of-empires-iii.html>
by Scott Gureck, MacNN

**** MacBU Office 2008 Sneak Peek Site Debuts <http://www.macminute.com/2007/09/18/office-2008-mac/>
by MacMinute

**** Apple's Cheap-To-Build Nano <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/sep2007/tc20070917_491032.htm>
by Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek
A teardown of the new iPod points to big savings in parts, which should help maintain hefty sales.

**** iTunes To Be Exclusive Distributor Of Ed Burns' New Movie <http://daringfireball.net/linked/2007/september#tue-18-burns>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball

**** Will Europe Snub The iPhone? <http://www.forbes.com/markets/2007/09/18/apple-iphone-update-markets-equity-cx_ll_0918markets38.html>
by Lionel Laurent, Forbes
The model's lack of 3G capability, along with prospective rivals from Nokia and Sony Ericsson, left much to be desired after the initial fanfare.

**** Apple May Be Next In EU Antitrust Sights <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/09/18/Apple-may-be-next-in-EU-antitrust-sights_1.html>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
With Microsoft's antitrust appeal now decided, the next U.S. technology company to get a place ont he European Union (EU)'s regulatory hot seat may be Apple, an antitrust expert said Tuesday.
Apple, in fact, will face two days of hearings before the commission starting Wednesday to answer charges that it and its four music label partners are violating EU laws with the pricing structure and purchase restrictions of the iTunes music store.

**** iPhone In The UK: Apple Faces Stiff Competition <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/09/18/ukcompetition/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Sayer, IDG News Service
When it arrives in the U.K. November 9, the iPhone will face stiffer competition in that market than it does in the U.S. That's because prices for other smartphones are typically lower in Europe, where many operators subsidize the cost of new phones in order to attract customers.

**** Mozilla Fixes QuickTime Flaw In Firefox <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/09/18/Mozilla-fixes-QuickTime-flaw-in-Firefox_1.html>
by Robert McMillan, IDG News Service
Mozilla has fixed a critical bug in the way the Firefox browser works with QuickTime media files.

**** Jobs Says Apple Will Fight iPhone Unlocking Hacks <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9037398>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
Apple Inc. CEO Steve Jobs said today that it's his company's job to stymie hackers who try to unlock the iPhone &mdash; the first time the company has officially said it would fight attempts to use the popular device on unauthorized networks.
/Game on!/

**** Hacker Finally Publishes Notorious Apple Wi-Fi Attack <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/09/18/Hacker-finally-publishes-notorious-Apple-Wi-Fi-attack_1.html>
by Robert McMillan, IDG News Service
More than a year after claiming to have found a way to take over a Macintosh computer using a flaw in the system's wireless card, David Maynor has published details of his exploit.
See Also:
OS X Kernel-Mode Exploitation In A Weekend <http://uninformed.org/?v=8&a=4>, by David Maynor, Uninformed.
Glenn Fleishman <http://wifinetnews.com/archives/007918.html>: This first report, with more promised, isn't /simple/ proof. But it should be verifiable by a party that has no vested interest.

**** Intel Announces, Demonstrates USB 3.0 <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070918-intel-announces-demonstrates-usb-3-0.html>
by Joel Hruska, Ars Technica

**** Strategy Letter VI <http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2007/09/18.html>
by Joel Spolsky, Joel On Software
Crazy story? Substitute "Google Gmail" with "Lotus 1-2-3". The NewSDK will be the second coming of Microosft Windows; this is exactly how Lotus lost control of the spreadsheet market. And it's going to happen again on the web because all the same dynamics and forces are in place. The only thing we don't know yet are the particulars, but it'll happen.

**** Tough Times Ahead For The Web? <http://avc.blogs.com/a_vc/2007/09/tough-times-ahe.html>
by A VC

**** NYTimes Discovers The Paywell Doesn't Pay <http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/doc/2007/09/18/nytimes-discovers-the-paywall-doesnt-pay/>
by Doc Searls

**** Laptop Ownership Spikes Among Increasingly Wired College Students <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070918-american-students-awash-in-gadgets.html>
by Nate Anderson, Ars Technica

**** The Most Dangerous Game <http://www.slate.com/id/2173969/fr/rss/>
by Emily Yoffe, Slate
I have never played golf. So why, oh, why, did I start now?

**** J. B. Jeyaretnam Back To Practice Law After Seven-Year Hiatus <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Courts%2Band%2BCrime/STIStory_159491.html>
by Straits Times
Veteran opposition politician J. B. Jeyaretnam, 81, is back in business as a lawyer after a seven-year hiatus. He was granted a practising certificate free of any conditions on Wednesday.

**** Remaking Our CCs <http://ephraim.blogspot.com/2007/09/remaking-our-ccs-last-friday-night.html>
by Ephraim Loy, A Writer's Blog

**** CPF Reform Fundamental And Long-Term: Ng Eng Hen <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/300770/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia
Wrapping up the three-day debate in parliament on CPF reforms, Dr Ng said all CPF members, especially the lower- and middle-income groups, will be better off with the higher CPF interest rates.
He stressed that in making the CPF changes, the government is not leaving Singaporeans to fend for themselves.

**** On Dying At Home <http://www.mrbiao.com/blog/on-dying-at-home.html>
by This Lush Garden Within
I hope MOH would provide more help, education and support for the terminally ill to allow them to die at home. It is the very least comfort that can be given to these people and their families.

**** HDB Family Season Parking Ticket Available From Oct <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_159366.html>
by Straits Times
The Housing and Development Board (HDB) will issue family season parking tickets from next month. THe HDB said the family season parking ticket (SPT) is for HDB residents require SPT to two different two car parks because of family arrangements.

**** Singapore's Independent Anti-Corruption Agency "Have Power Larger Than The Sky" <http://big5.xinhuanet.com/gate/big5/news.xinhuanet.com/lianzheng/2007-09/19/content_6751781.htm>
by Xinhua Net

**** Can Singapore Become Major Financial Hub? <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detaileditorial.asp?fileid=20070919.F04&irec=3>
by Kai-Alexander Schlevogt, Jakarta Post
Repeated technical glitches at SGX cast doubts over its standards and hurt its reputation, because pledges for improvement proved empty.

**** Hospitalized Men In Singapore To Be Asked To Take HIV Test <http://nationmultimedia.com/worldhotnews/read.php?newsid=30049495>
by DPA

**** Canadian Legal Expert Banned In Singapore <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2007/09/canadian-legal-expert-banned-in.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
Of course it is convenient to characterize the above provisions as a "political agenda". Because once you claim that Section 377A is a political matter, thenyou can say, "Oh, foreigners should not be allowed to meddle in our politics! We must not allow our sovereignty as an independent nation to be raped!".
And stupid people would even believe you.

**** When Saying "Traditional, Conservative Society" Doesn't Cut It Anymore <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/09/19/when-saying-%e2%80%9ctraditional-conservative-society%e2%80%9d-doesn%e2%80%99t-cut-it-anymore/>
by Joel Tan, theonlinecitizen
Since the conservative majority is used as a trump over the gay activists at every juncture of the debate, it is only right for the government to disclose how it arrived at the conclusion that a majority of our population is, indeed, conservative.

**** KNN... We Kena Censor <http://vistalabbers.blogspot.com/2007/09/knn-we-kena-censor.html>
by Vista Lab
MDA contacted Theatreworks and asked for us to remove one line of my Confucian timeline poem/monologue from our "Impetus" performance.

**** CPF Lies <http://freedom-for-man.blogspot.com/2007/09/cpf-lies.html>
by Making Sense - The Free Man
The very blackest kind.

**** Spoilsport <http://thegirlwithsakura.wordpress.com/2007/09/19/spoilsport/>
by The Girl With Sakura

**** Subtle But Significant Shift In Government's Stance <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/09/18/subtle-but-significant-shift-in-governments-stance/>
by Andrew Loh, theonlinecitizen
One, no longer is the word 'compulsory' used and two, the scheme is now called 'Longevity Insurance' instead of 'the annuity scheme'.

**** Speech On The Ministerial Statement On CPF Reforms <http://siewkumhong.blogspot.com/2007/09/speech-on-ministerial-statement-on-cpf.html>
by Siew Kum Hong
We are able to extract higher returns from CPF balances, thanks to the GIC's expertise. So why are we not pasing these higher returns to CPF members? Until we do so, why are we considering implementing a compulsory annuity, which will fundamentally change the nature and dynamics of CPF members' relationship with their CPF balances? Why are we so ready to encroach on their ownership rights over their CPF funds?

**** You Must Use Parking Lot <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,142287,00.html?>
by Celine Lim, New Paper
He was surprised to receive a parking sumons - after all, he had parked his car in front of his own house.

**** I Saw The Monkey God Tree <http://sheylara.com/2007/09/18/i-saw-the-monkey-god-tree/>
by The Sometimes Damsel In Distress
I made a trip to Jurong West St 42 last Sunday to check out the much-hyped Monkey God Tree.

**** Webcams At Polyclinics Raise Issue Of Privacy <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_159264.html>
by Tan Wee Kiat, Straits Times

**** That 1-Percentage Point Does The Trick <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/212038.asp>
by Cheow Xin Yi, Today
It was a concern: Would a bond peg hurt Central Provident Fund (CPF) returns for the older generation? Now, economists and finance professionals have their answer, and they are satisfied that, at least, nobody will be worse off under the new CPF formula.