[MyAppleMenu] Sep 10, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Sep 10 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Apple Ships 1 Million iPhones <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/09/10/1.million.iphones.shipped/>
by MacNN
Apple on Monday announced that it has sold its one millionth iPhone over the weekend. The milestone, recorded 74 days after its introduction on June 29, surpasses Apple's own "end-of-quarter" estimates.

**** Oranged Releases Studiometry 5.0 <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/09/10/studiometry.50.ships/>
by MacNN

**** Wrapping Up iWork '08: Not Really Office, But A Great Looking Suite <http://blogs.pcmag.com/miller/2007/09/wrapping_up_iwork_08_not_reall.php>
by Michael J. Miller, PC Magazine

**** Apple Eyes The Wireless Auction <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/sep2007/tc20070910_014733.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_top+story>
by Peter Burrows, BusinessWeek
Two sources tell /BusinessWeek/ that Steve Jobs &amp; Co. have studied the implications of joining the auction, which will be held Jan. 16. The winners will get rights to use the spectrum that analog TV broadcasters are handing back to the government in 2009, given their mandated move to digital television.

**** Apple Cripples iPod Touch, Eliminates "Add" Button From Calendar <http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/breaking/apple-cripples-ipod-touch-eliminates-add-button-from-calendar-297994.php>
by Gizmodo
According to support discussions and their own description pages, Apple has remvoed the ability to add events in the iPod touch's calendar, even while it uses the same operating system and application frameworks as the iPhone.
/If this is true, then it is really sad for Apple and Apple customers. After mocking Microsoft of having different versions of the same operating system, to have Apple pull the same trick is simply beyond words./

**** iPod Touch: PDA Or Not?
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
The mystery &mdash; at least for me &mdash; continues. Is the iPod touch a PDA? In other words, can one enter new appointments and contracts and stuff on the iPod touch, just like the iPhone, and not just read them, just not the old iPods? The latest words <http://everythingapple.blogspot.com/2007/09/apple-has-indeed-crippled-ipod-touch-no.html> seems to be pointing towards the latter...
Looks like I'll be waiting for actual reviews before I want to buy one...

**** Apple Takes A Pass On The Enterprise Prize <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9034938&source=rss_topic123>
by Scot Finnie, Computerworld
For the first time since the Mac was introduced in 1984, Apple has a real opportunity to play to win by focusing some of its resources on selling computers to large corporations. Apple isn't a large company, however, and it's headed in an entirely different direction, transforming itself from a consumer computer company to a consumer electronics company. But is that truly the right move for Apple? It might be, but it's not without risk. ANd it may mean passing up a golden opportunity.

**** Starbucks - Why It's A Big Deal! <http://blog.screencastsonline.com/scoblog/?p=308>
by Don McAllisters, My Own Reality

**** iPhone's Recessed Ratonale <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=851>
by Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet
"Apple found, prior to the iPhone, that a lot of service repairs for iPods were for busted headphone jacks caused by headphone plugs being constrained, pulled, or bent in pockets or other tight areas. This is why they recessed the iPhone's headphone jack into the casing."

**** Hot For iPhone <http://warpspire.com/features/hot-for-iphone/>
by Warpspire
I'm starting to believe in this whole mobile web &mdash; or at least, the iWeb.

**** Steve Jobs: iCame, iSaw, iCaved <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/10/business/media/10carr.html?ex=1347076800&en=e5d2b0cc8e4fc8a4&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Dvaid Carr, New York Times
Let me get this straight: Steve Jobs insists that songs on iTunes cost 99 cents and television episodes cost $1.99 because consumers crave simple pricing.
Except, of course, when it comes to Apple's own products.

**** Fun, Tours And A $3,000 Bill For Hardly Using An iPhone <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/10/technology/10iphone.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin>
by Katie Hafner, New York Times

**** Is Steve Jobs Sick Of The Cell Phone Industry Already? <http://crunchgear.com/2007/09/09/is-steve-jobs-sick-of-the-cell-phone-industry-already/>
by Seth Proges, CrunchGear
I'm not sure what kind of backroom wheeling and dealings Jobs has had with AT&amp;T, but I would bet money that they have been littered with frsturation and tension. I would also bet that Steve has the date his exclusivity agreement with AT&amp;T expires circled on his calendar.

**** iToner 1.0.1 Restores Compatibility With iTunes 7.4.1 <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/08/itoner-1-0-1-restores-compatibility-with-itunes-7-4/>
by Mat Lu, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** Will iPod Touch Revive The PDA Market? <http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/19255>
by Greg Royal, Network World

**** Web-Based Desktop Apps Get Serious <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/09/10/office-web-apps_1.html>
by Juan Carlos Penez, InfoWorld

**** Will Weakening Economy KO Web Startups? <http://gigaom.com/2007/09/09/will-weak-economy-ko-web-startups/>
by Anne Zelenka, GigaOM
Economy watchers see recession as more likely after Friday's weak jobs data. What does this mean for Web 2.0 hopefuls, now readying themselves for the fall conference season and dreaming of a Club Penguin style acquisition?

**** Managing Your Reputation Online <http://www.technologyreview.com/Biztech/19358/>
by Erica Naone, MIT Technology Review
Startup TrustPlus plans to help users build up an online reputation.

**** Faster Wireless Technology In The Works <http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070909/CITIZEN_01/709090026/-1/CITIZEN>
by Associated Press

**** Updating The Lemonade Stand Strategy <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/10/technology/10ecom.html?ex=1347076800&en=dfc59c6c5ec1ee98&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Bob Tedeschi, New York Times
Social networks have made fortunes setting up web sites that allow people to post profiles and trade messages. Now, the rank and file are getting the chance to make some cash from their contracts.

**** The Rise Of The Alpha Geezer <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/07/AR2007090702057.html?nav=most_emailed>
by Joel Achenbach, Washington Post
There are no people anymore. The word "senior" is in disfavor; the folks at AARP often use the term "grown-up" to refer to our most tenured citizens.

**** Party Time <http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2007/09/17/070917crbo_books_lepore>
by Jill Lepore, New Yorker
Smear tactics, skulduggery, and the debut of American democracy.

**** Turning Tricks <http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2007/09/17/070917crbo_books_owen>
by David Owen, New Yorker
The rise and fall of contract bridge.

**** Singapore Transsexual Battles Culture Of Shame <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hsF-lweEksVRQ-npoS2WHLIKPQNA>
by AFP
"Singapore may be a cosmpolitan city, but many things are still swept under the carpet."

**** 8Th September 2007 <http://singabloodypore.rsfblog.org/archive/2007/09/10/8th-september-2007.html>
by Singabloodypore
Those with unrealistic expectations or cynics would quickly label the Saturday event as a major disappointment. Glass half full empty. However, I am among those who see it as glass half full and I am very optimistic about future events.

**** IRs Will Not Dominate Singapore's Diversified Economy: PM Lee <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/298982/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
Prime minister Lee Hsien Loong said the two integrated resorts (IRs) will not dominate Singapore's diversified economy.
/That's Temasek Holdings' job. :-)/

**** Singapore: 90 Minutes And A World Away <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailcity.asp?fileid=20070910.D04&irec=3>
by Patrick Guntensperger, Jakarta Post
Whatever reason for traveling there from Indonesia, it is the contrasts between Jakarta and Singapore that stand out in most people's minds.

**** An Open Letter <http://ottofong.blogspot.com/2007/09/open-letter.html>
by Otto Fong In RI
I am Otto Fong. I have been teaching science in Raffles Institution for the last eight years.
Update:
Thank You All! <http://ottofong.blogspot.com/2007/09/thank-you-all.html>, by Otto Fong. I wrote this blog for my colleagues and some friends, so that is done.
Gay Teacher Forced To Delete His "Coming Out" Article? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/09/10/toc-breaking-news-the-silencing-of-otto-fong/>, by theonlinecitizen.
See Also:
Undelivered <http://tangym.livejournal.com/20751.html>, by tangym. The world would have been a more beautiful place, beseiged by less lies and less deceit. If people were more comfortable with being themselves. Proud of themselves. Less pain and less ignorance. Less hate.

**** Annuity Protest Draws Small Crowd <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/09/09/toc-report-annuity-protest-draws-small-crowd/>
by theonlinecitizen

**** PM Lee Warns Against Protectionism <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/298888/1/.html>
by Val Chua, Today
Increasing protectionist moves against foreign investments &mdash; under the guise of national security &mdash; may end up choking off growth and make things worse, warned Singapore prime minister Lee Hsien Loong yesterday.

**** "I Have Never, No Will I Ever, Read Blogs" (Part 2) <http://ramblinglibrarian.blogspot.com/2007/09/i-have-never-nor-will-i-ever-read-blogs_09.html>
by Ivan Chew, Rambling Librarian
What I take issue is when Mainstream Media writers make sweeping statements that are misleading.

**** Initial Thoughts On Singapore <http://aufrecht.org/blog/one-entry?entry_id=36187>
by Joel Aufrecht
The websites for public transit trip planning are awful.

**** Cycle, Cycle, Give Me A Bicycle <http://antineodem.wordpress.com/2007/09/09/cycle-cycle-give-me-a-bicycle/>
by The Anti Neo-Democracy Theorist
Some people can cycle, while others can't.

**** Govt May Let Some Groups Opt Out Of Annuity Scheme <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_156380.html>
by Lynn Lee, Straits Times
The chronically sick and those who have already bought annuities could be exempted from the government's compulsory annuity scheme, minister in the prime minister's office Lim Boon Heng said yesterday.

**** It Takes More Than Jobs <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/210250.asp>
by Jasmine Yin, Today
The five Community Development Councils (CDCs) are looking to bump up the scale of micro-business schemes &mdash; such as community kitchens &mdash; onto the national platform and a cooperative would help.