[MyAppleMenu] Sep 4, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Sep 4 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Why Apple Is Better (Again...) <http://mattheaton.com/?p=100>
by Matt Heaton
Apple still knows that the customer experience is everything.

**** The iPod Is Growing Up <http://news.com.com/The+iPod+is+growing+up/2100-1041_3-6205729.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news>
by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com
If Apple really is putting a version of Mac OS X in a new iPod, presumably it has more in mind than showing high-quality reruns of /The Hills/.

**** MacMate Online Service Cheaper Than .Mac <http://www.macworld.co.uk/digitallifestyle/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=18988>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

**** Apple Attends Handheld Learning <http://www.macworld.co.uk/education/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=18993>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Apple will exhibit at the UK's Handheld Learning Conference and Exhibition next month. The event is described as the signature event for those interested in opportunities presented by 'always-on' learning.

**** Target Prepares For Apple Launch? <http://www.macworld.co.uk/business/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=18994>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Target warns employees to expect a 'high profile' product this week.

**** Drooling Yet? <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20583288/site/newsweek/?from=rss>
by Brian Braiker, Newsweek
Wherein we plunge into the rumor-infested waters surrounding Sept. 5 magical mystery Apple announcement. We want our sixth generation iPods... now!

**** Numerical Data Is Easy To Use With iWork '08 <http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/tech/drmac/5104666.html>
by Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle
If you're a spreadsheet junkie, you probably won't find Numbers sufficient for your needs. But if you're an occasional spreadsheet user, Numbers is easier than other spreadsheets.

**** Share Music? Sure We Do
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
Marie Torrisi, in New York, demonstrates that you really don't need a Zune to share music <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/03/nyregion/03diary.html?n=Top/News/New%20York%20and%20Region/Columns/Metropolitan%20Diary>. iPods work just fine.

**** Word Processing On iWorks 08 <http://www.variousandsundry.com/2007/09/03/word-processing-on-iworks-08/>
by Augie De Blieck Jr, Various And Sundry
I'm seriously considering switching all of my word processing tasks to Apple's Pages program, part of the iWork '08 collection. I don't want to look like a Kook Aid drinker. Only freaks switch away from Microsoft Office, right?

**** The Ubiquity And Future Of OS X <http://lacyiceplusheat.blogspot.com/2007/09/ubiquity-and-future-of-os-x.html>
by Lacy Ice + Heat
This is about as close to a guarantee that OS X won't become an orphan platform as it's possible to get.

**** What Is With "I" And "HD"? <http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13506_1-9770456-17.html>
by Don Reisinger, CNET News.com
As I was looking around, I heard one of them claim that a product "must be good &mdash; it's made by Apple." A couple of minutes later, the couple was walking out of the store with an iHome clock radio in hand. Unfortunately, I didn't have the heart to explain to the woman that just because the name has an "i" in front of it, it doesn't mean it's made by Apple. Oh well.

**** New Images Of Rumored iPod Nano Redesign <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/09/03/could-this-be-the-new-3g-ipod-nano>
by David Chartier, Ars Technica

**** Goodbye To All That <http://www.cjr.org/cover_story/goodbye_to_all_that_1.php?page=all>
by Steve Wasserman, Columbia Journalism Review
The decline of the coverage of books isn't new, benign, or necessary.

**** Bad Annunciation <http://www.slate.com/id/2169224/fr/rss/>
by Joanie Mackowski, Slate

**** Node Idea <http://books.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,2159309,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=10>
by John Sutherland, The Guardian
I have seen the future of literary criticism - and, as John Reed said - 'it works'. Works better, in fact, than Reed's beloved Soviet Union ever worked. And it will work, I believe, for other humanities discipliens. Science, I'm not so sure about. But perhaps there too.

**** Ghost Elephants <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2007/09/03/070903po_poem_valentine>
by Jean Valentine, New Yorker

**** End Of Summer <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2007/09/03/070903po_poem_richardson>
by James Richardson, New Yorker

**** Sixty-Nine Cents <http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/09/03/070903fa_fact_shteyngart>
by Gary Shteyngart, New Yorker
And so, in the midst of my Hebrew-school winter vacation, two Russian families crammed into a alrge used sedan and took I-95 down to the Sunshine State.

**** Luda And Milena <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2007/09/03/070903fi_fiction_vapnyar>
by Lara Vapnyar, New Yorker

**** Would Orwell Have Been A Blogger? <http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,2160684,00.html>
by Robert McCrum, Guardian
The great essayist woul dbe appalled by the writing, but applaud the democracy of the web.

**** Chee Loses Appeal, Chooses 3 Weeks In Jail <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Courts%2Band%2BCrime/STIStory_154730.html>
by Straits Times
Singapore Democratic Party chief Chee Soon Juan has chosen to go to jail instead of paying a $4,000 fine for trying to leave the country without permision while bankrupt.
His appeal against the fine, handed down in February after a lower court found him guilty, was dismissed by Justice Choo Han Teck on Tuesday.

**** Singapore's Temasek Says Stanchart "A Good Investment" <http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinvesting.aspx?type=allBreakingNews&storyID=2007-09-04T094153Z_01_SGC000924_RTRIDST_0_STANDARD-CHARTERED-TEMASEK-URGENT.XML>
by Reuters

**** The 4Th University And Other Simpler Options <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2007/09/4th-university-and-other-simpler.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
Instead of using that money to set up a new university or nw campuses, simply give some of that taxpayers' money to Singaporeans, in the form of financial aid. Help them finance their overseas tertiary education. Say, up to $12,000 per year.

**** Former SingTel CEO Tipped To Head F&amp;N: Report <http://www.cnbc.com/id/20578806>
by CNBC
The former chief executive of Singapore Telecommunications, Lee Hsien Yang, is expected to become chairman of Singapore conglomerate Fraser &amp; Neave, the Business Times reported.

**** Cycle Safer With Young PAP <http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2007/09/cycle-safer-wit.html>
by mrbrown
You may be pleased to know that you can always join the Young PAP on their Night Cycling events. They seem to have no problem getting permits for their outdoor events.

**** New Aggregator In Town <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2007/09/new-aggregator-in-town.html>
by Mr Wang Says So

**** 3Rd World Savings, 1St World Cost Of Living <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/09/04/3rd-world-savings-1st-world-cost-of-living/>
by theonlinecitizen

**** Underwater World Sentosa In Singapore Promotes Cruelty To Marine Animals <http://divinginmalaysia.com/crime/underwater-world-sentosa-promotes-cruelty-to-marine-animals>
by Diving Malaysia

**** Mixed Week For "The" Ho <http://bigozine3.com/rarities/?p=320>
by Talkin' About My Revolutions
The falling share price caused Temasek Holdngs, the Singapore government's investment company, to lose as much as &pound;150 million on its investment in Barclays in the space of just 30 days.

**** The Colour Of The Skin Of Dysfunctional Families <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2007/09/colour-of-skin-of-dysfunctional.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
Personally I wonder whether a dysfunctional Malay family is so different from a dysfunctional Chinese or Indian family that social support and conunselling etc needs to be divided along racial lines and administrated by separate racial organisations.

**** Weaker Students Should Have Equal Access To School Libraries <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_154396.html>
by Osman V.P. Mohamed, Straits Times
At one school recently, I overheard the <school> library staff member telling a group of lower secondary students that it was useless for them to come into the library as they were only 'normal-tech' students.

**** Why No Photos At MRT Stations... <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_154549.html>
by Karen Chow, SMRT Corporation, Straits Times
As part of our security measures, we do not allow people to take pictures within our MRT stations or of our MRT stations without prior permission.
See Also:
... Or Some Parts Of Changi Airport <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_154547.html>, by Toh Boon Ngee, Singapore Police Force, Straits Times.
Can't One Take Photos In MRT Stations <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_153050.html>, by Soh Oon Teck, Straits Times.
/We should be mindful of answers that provided only one "reason", namely the "security reason". This is not accountable, and cannot stand up to public scrutiny./
/What's next? The government's budget cannot be examined by the public because of "security" reason?/

**** Where's Our $6M? STB Asks This Man <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/209167.asp>
by Leong Wee Keat, Today
UK promoter sued for charity concert that never happened.

**** Some Parties Are More Equal Than Others? <http://aaron-ng.info/blog/some-parties-are-more-equal-than-others.html>
by Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
It really smacks of bullying.

**** Say No To Compulsory Annuities <http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2007/09/say-no-to-compulsory-annuities.html>
by Goh Meng Seng, Singapore Alternatives
Is there anything wrong to ask the government to take care of our aged? WHy is the PAP government trying to wash its hands off such social responsibilities?

**** Staff Drop Claims Against Failed Singapore Campus <http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/staff-drop-claims-against-failed-singapore-campus/2007/09/03/1188783158713.html>
by Harriet Alexander, Sydney Morning Herald
More than 50 employees of the University of NSW's failed Singapore campus have been forced by the university to drop legal action in the face of threats they may otherwise lose their payout entitlements.