[MyAppleMenu] Oct 30, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Oct 30 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** Leopard Weekend Sales "Far Outpaced" Tiger At 2 Million Copies <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/10/30/leopard-weekend-sales-far-outpaced-tiger-at-2-million>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica
During its debut weekend, Mac OS X 10.5 "far outpaced" sales of Tiger in its first weekend.

**** Inside Leopard's Time Machine: Backups For The Rest Of Us <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9044339&source=rss_topic123>
by Ryan Faas, Computerworld
The goal set for Apple's engineers in designing Time Machine was to create a backup technology that requires little or no configuration, performs backups automatically and invisibly, and makes restoring files from those backups as simple and intuitive as humanly possible. That's a pretty tall order, even for Apple, and yet the company has managed to deliver those results.

**** Apple Not Just Refusing Cash, Also Refusing Apple Gift Cards For iPhones <http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/29/apple-not-just-refusing-cash-also-refusing-apple-gift-cards-for/>
by Ryan Block, Engadget
/I wonder if Apple will accept currency in the form of souls, with a paper trail./

**** Apple Kills Sherlock In Leopard <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/10/29/apple.kills.sherlock/>
by MacNN

**** Is Apple's .Mac For OS X Worth It? <http://chris.pirillo.com/2007/10/29/is-apples-mac-for-os-x-worth-it/>
by Chris Pirillo

**** Apple Trusts Users More Than Microsoft? <http://chris.pirillo.com/2007/10/29/apple-trusts-users-more-than-microsoft/>
by Chris Pirillo
You heard me right, folks. Apple trusts us.

**** Leopard Is Fugly <http://www.powazek.com/posts/738>
by Derek Powazek

**** How Deep Are Leopard's Changes? <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9806564-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Elsa Wenzel, CNET News.com

**** Smug Ugly <http://www.dashes.com/anil/2007/10/smug-ugly.html>
by Anil Dash
Arrogance is ugly. If you claim to care about aesthetics and design, it's in your interest to keep from being completely tacky and lacking in taste.

**** Leopard Will Open The Mac OS X Floodgates (And Embarrass Microsoft) <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9806255-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Don Reisinger, CNET News.com
Mac OS X Leopard is one of the most significant operating system achievements we have witnessed in years. Not only does it add functinality that Microsoft could only have dreamed of, it does so in a snappy environment that doesn't annoy you with pop-ups asking for permission or all of those security threats we have come to know (and hate) in Windows.

**** Chocolatier: Chanllenging Business Tycoon Game Adds Sweet Arcade-Style Element <http://www.macworld.com/2007/10/reviews/chocolatier/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Chocolatier is a delightfully challenging business tycoon game with some sweet twists and turns.

**** Blue In The Face <http://daringfireball.net/2007/10/blue_in_the_face>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
The evidence as of this writing indicates that every single instance of a "blue screened" botched Leopard upgrade is attribute to the presence of APE. The biggest problem seems to be that many of these blue screen sufferers had no idea APE was installed on their system.
/On the other hand, I'll be pretty surprised that Apple didn't encounter this problem in the test labs. (Not everyone was pulled to do iPhone, right?) A few man-days of extra effort could have prevented this bad press./

**** Another Look At Friday's Leopard Launch <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/10/leopardinsf/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Brian Chen, Macworld

**** Zucker Says Apple Deal Rotten <http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117974910.html?categoryid=1009&cs=1>
by Michael Learmonth, Variety
"Apple sold millions of dollars worth of hardware off the back of our content and made a lot of money," <President &amp; CEO of NBC Universal> Jeff Zucker said. "They did not want to share in what they were making off the hardware or allow us to adjust pricing."

**** The iPhone Cash Ban: It's Legal, And Here's Why <http://blog.wired.com/business/2007/10/the-iphone-cash.html>
by Bryan Gardiner, Wired
There is no federal law that prohibits a private business, a person or an organization from dictating what currency or coins they do acceot for payment for goods and/or services.

**** Inside Leopard: iCal <http://www.macworld.com/2007/10/features/leopard_ical/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Dan Miller, Macworld
The interface tweaks will make iCal a welcome upgrade for any of its current loyalists, but won't be enough to convince anyone to switch. If you're in an office where you can convince your IT folks to switch to OS X Server or some other CalDAV-compliant calendaring platform, its group scheduling tools would be great for any small business or workgroup.
/Apple should really beef up its .Mac offerings, and having a hosted CalDAV server solution for families will be an attractive addition./

**** The Web 2.0 World Is Skunk Drunk On Its Own Kool-Aid <http://www.micropersuasion.com/2007/10/the-web-20-worl.html>
by Steve Rubel, Micro Persuation

**** What's A Zuda? Major Publisher Leaps Into The World Of Webcomics <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9806598-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Seth Rosenblatt, CNET News.com
So what took so long?

**** Once Thought Dead, Net Neutrality Roars Back To Center Stage <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071029-once-thought-dead-net-neutrality-roars-back-to-center-stage.html>
by Nate Anderson, Ars Technica

**** On Desperate Days <http://www.slate.com/id/2175498/fr/rss/>
by Barry Spacks, Slate

**** Why They Called It The Manhattan Project <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/30/science/30manh.html?ex=1351396800&en=60332fd9b1797d79&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by William J. Broad, New York Times
By nature, code names and cover stories are meant to give no indication of the secrets concealed. Many people assume that the same holds true for the Manhattan Project, in which thousands of experts gathered in the mountains of New Mexico to make the world's first atom bomb.
Robert S. Norris, a historian of the atomic age, wants to shatter that myth.

**** Wanting Sumptuous Heavens <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2007/11/05/071105po_poem_bly>
by Robert Bly, New Yorker

**** The Dog <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2007/11/05/071105fi_fiction_doyle>
by Roddy Doyle, New Yorker

**** Fear And Allergies In The Lunchroom <http://www.newsweek.com/id/62296>
by Greg Ruffing, Newsweek
There was a time when food allergies were of little concern to the medical community. Today about 11 million Americans suffer from them, and many scientists agree the numbers are climbing.

**** NUS Don Warns Of 377A Fallout <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_171987.html>
by K. C. Vijayan, Straits Times
In his essay on the recent changes to the Penal Code, professor Hor argues there is no indication that the policy of not prosecuting under the 377A will not change overnight and without prior notice.

**** ICJ To Hear Pedra Branca Sovereignty Case Next Week <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/308612/1/.html>
by May Wong, Channel NewsAsia
The International Court of Justice (ICJ) will hold its public hearings on the soverignty of Pedra Branca island and its outcrops, Middle Rocks and South Ledge, from November 6 to 23.

**** Singapore Distancing Itself From Myanmar - Analysts <http://malaysia.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20071030/tbs-myanmar-singapore-a5a65c6.html>
by Reuters
Officially, Singapore has not deviated from the line given by prime minister Lee Hsien Loong a month ago that sanctions would be unlikely to shunt Myanmar towards political reform. But gradually, signs are emerging of institutions in the city-state pulling back from involvement with the generals.

**** Sex Ban On The Airbus A380 <http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/travel/news/article2747522.ece>
by Steve Bleach, The Times
The A380 may have the world's first airborne double bed, but it won't be put to the obvious use if Singapore Airlines has its way.

**** Singapore Economic Growth To Ease Next Year On Slower US Expansion - MAS <http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited/feeds/afx/2007/10/30/afx4275918.html>
by Thomson Financial
Singapore's economic growth is expected to slow to 4-6 percent in 2008 from 7-8 percent this year as strong domestic demand is offset by the impact of slower US economic growth, the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) said Tuesday in its semi-annual macroeconomic review.

**** Dr Thio Li Ann's Infamous Speech <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2007/10/dr-thio-li-anns-infamous-speech.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
And so this is a rather sad moment in the history of Singapore. Hate speech has made its own way into parliament. For so many years, Singapore has restrained the freedom of speech, supposedly as a trade-off for ensuring the greater good of social harmony and peace. /Yet hate speech has nevertheless made its own way into parliament./
And according to reports, it even gained the noisy, boisterous support of some chair-thumping PAP members of parliament.
What happened? Where did we go wrong? What a sad moment this is, for Singapore.

**** Singaporeans Blur On Sex <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/10/30/nation/19315645&sec=nation>
by The Star
Many Singaporeans have been seeking help from doctors on how to have sexual intercourse.

**** M1 Is Tracking Your Every Move <http://onthereddot.com/ian/2007/10/30/m1-is-tracking-your-every-move/>
by Wanderings, Musings And Happenings From Ian On Singapore

**** Gov't Pays $40M To Create Traffic Jam <http://magnezium.blogspot.com/2007/10/govt-pays-40m-to-create-traffic-jam.html>
by Mohan Gopalan, Musings
That's how we do things around here, isn't it? Everything that's unique must be altered so that it fits into the "theme".

**** The Great Tragedy Of Section 377A <http://siewkumhong.blogspot.com/2007/10/great-tragedy-of-section-377a.html>
by Siew Kum Hong
My "take-aways" from the entire experience were not really about all this stuff about "consensus" and "engagement". We (i.e. those who supported repeal) engaged with society and with parliament, and we did so according to the rules, in a manner that I felt was highly principled and civil. That was enough for me. That was the mark of democracy at work.

**** 5 Dollars For ERP - Everyday Rob People? <http://antineodem.wordpress.com/2007/10/29/5-dollars-for-erp-everyday-rob-people/>
by The Anti Neo-Democracy Theorist
Question of the day: Who benefits from the ERP hike?

**** 377A Issues: Social Acceptance Of Gays And Lesbians <http://singaporesundry.blogspot.com/2007/10/377a-issues-social-acceptance-of-gays.html>
by All And Sundry Singapore
We should show genuine compassion for others, even when we disagree with them and we should also take a firm stand for what is right.

**** People, People Everywhere... <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/219379.asp>
by Siamak Adibi, Darren Chong, Mark Lee, and Pritam Paul, Today
Already the public transport system is stretched.

**** Beware Of (Seemingly) Misleading Letter From M1 Broadband! <http://blog.simplyjean.com/2007/10/29/beware-of-seemingly-misleading-letter-from-m1-broadband/>
by Simply Me. Simply Jean.
What M1 actually means was that instead of charging you up to 10GB (as per previous service agreement), now they can charge you up to 50GB!

**** Robo Chan's Short-Lived Happiness <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2007/yax-802.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

**** Police Questin Poet Over E-Mail To NMP <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_171739.html>
by Chong Chee Kin, Straits Times

**** MediaCorp's TV Channels Remain Leading Medium <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_171816.html>
by Kenneth Liang, MediaCorp TV Singapore, Straits Times