[MyAppleMenu] Oct 15, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Oct 15 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Researcher: Mac OS, Linux Probably Have URI Issues Too <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/10/15/Mac-OS-Linux-probably-have-URI-issues_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/10/15/Mac-OS-Linux-probably-have-URI-issues_1.html>
by Robert McMillan, IDG News Service
URI protocol handlers often are registered unnecessarily and with little thought given to security, researchers say.

**** Remember That 3G Chip Apple Was Waiting For? Here It Is <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9239>
by Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

**** iPod Magic: Technophobe Puts A Huge Musical House In Order <http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ/MGArticle/WSJ_ColumnistArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173353116484>
by Ed Bumgardner, Winston-Salem Journal
My entire CD collection now exists on something the size of a thick, hard-cover book.

**** Two GUIs For Jailbreaking Your iPod Touch Available <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/14/two-guis-for-jailbreaking-your-ipod-touch-available/>
by Scott McNulty, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** Trademark Dispute Could Further Delay Apple iPhone In Canada <http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/10/11/tech-iphone-trademark.html>
by CBC News
A dispute between Apple Inc. and Toronto-based Comwave Telecom Inc. over the Canadian trademark rights to the name "iPhone" has yet to be resolved, adding another barrier to the launch of Apple's next-generation handheld device north of the border.

**** Missed Call: The iPhone's Hazardous Chemicals <http://www.greenpeace.org/international/news/iPhone-test-hazardous-toxic-chemicals151007>
by Greenpeace International
Scientific tests, arranged by Greenpeace, reveal that Apple's iPhone contains harzardous chemicals. The tests uncovered two types of hazardous substances, some of which have already been eliminated by other mobile phone makers.

**** OpenOffice's Apparent Mission Creep <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9797089-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Matt Asay, CNET News.com

**** Apache's Lead To IIS Goes "Poof!" <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9797046-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Matt Asay, CNET News.com

**** The Talk Of The Town: You <http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/19549/>
by Mark Williams, MIT Technology Review
Rethinking privacy in an immodest age.

**** What Is He Doing? <http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/19532/>
by Kate Greene, MIT Technology Review
Evan Williams got rich when he sold Blogger to Google. Then he started Twitter. In both cases, he extracted a simple, obvious tool from a more complex, struggling technology. Is this guy lucky?

**** Trivial Pursuits <http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/19552/>
by Jason Pontin, MIT Technology Review
The mundane is the message.

**** 'Lobbyconners' Crash Tech Conferences To Schmooze, Cut Deals <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/10/14/MNKJSL3GM.DTL>
by Verne Kopytoff, San Francisco Chronicle
Some of Silicon Valley's digerati don't let $3,600 admission prices keep them from attending technology conferences. They simply loiter in the venue's lobby &mdash; without paying &mdash; in hopes of mingling with other entrepreneurs, collecting buisness cards and cutting deals.

**** Duty To Buy A Newspaper? <http://strange.corante.com/archives/2007/10/14/duty_to_buy_a_newspaper.php>
by Kevin Anderson, Corante
Until our journalism really is essential to people's lives and we make that case, newspapers will get crowded out by a dizzying array of information and, yes, entertainment choices.

**** Twitter, Jaiku, And The Future Of Microblogging <http://www.technovia.co.uk/2007/10/twitter-jaiku-a.html>
by Ian Betteridge, Technovia
This isn't a feature race. Instead, it's about broadening the tools to as many platforms as possible, so that no matter where you are and what you're doing, you can define the way you receive information and the degree to which it is allowed to interrupt what you're doing.

**** What The F***? Why We Curse <http://www.tnr.com/doc.mhtml?i=20071008&s=pinker100807>
by Steven Pinker, The New Republic
The strange emotional power of swearing&mdash;as well as the presence of linguistic taboos in all cultures&mdash;suggests taht taboo words tap into deep and ancient parts of the brain.

**** Why Flying Now Can Kill <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/12/AR2007101201887.html?nav=most_emailed>
by A.L. Bardach, Washington Post
I didn't know the mother of three who died shackled to a bench in the Phoenix airport on Sept. 28, en route to an alcohol treatment center in Tucson. I don't know, beyond what I read in the newspapers, what troubles weighed on her. But I do know this: Based on my own recent flight experiences, hers was a death foretold.

**** High Tea, India Style <http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/10/14/travel/14Tea.html>
by Matt Gross, New York Times
Flying to a remote corner of India and braving the long drive into the Himalayas may seem like an awful lot of effort for a good cup of tea, but Darjeeling tea isn't simply good. It's about the best in the world.

**** Rocket Man <http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2007/10/22/071022crbo_books_mallon>
by Thomas Mallon, New Yorker
The complex orbits of Wernher von Braun.

**** The Capital Of Capital No More? <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/14/magazine/14wallstreet-t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine&oref=slogin>
by Daniel Gross, New York Times
In today's burgeoning and increasingly integrated global financial markets &mdash; a vast, neural spaghetti of wires, web sites and trading platforms &mdash; the N.Y.S.E. is clearly no longer /the/ epicenter.

**** Don't Bother Asking <http://www.insanepoly.com/blog/?p=386>
by Insane Polygons
But really, what is the point?

**** Singapore - Protest Outside The Istana On! <http://singabloodypore.rsfblog.org/archive/2007/10/15/singapore-protest-outside-the-istana-on.html>
by Singabloodypore

**** Sound Speeches, Unsound Rhetoric, Noisy Bogger <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/167286.html>
by Mollymeek

**** Is Singapore Highly Transparent Or Not? Yes. <http://journalism.sg/2007/10/15/is-singapore-highly-transparent-or-not-yes/>
by Cherian George, Journalism.sg
Experts note that there are different dimensions of transparency; they distinguish between two broad types: "economic and institutional transparency" (in which Singapore scores highly) and "political transparency" (in which Singapore rates poorly).

**** Uniquely Singapore, F1 Or F9: Parliamentary Debate, Then Self-Rebuttal? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/10/15/uniquely-singapore-f1-or-f9-parliamentary-debate-then-self-rebuttal/>
by Leong Sze Hian, theonlinecitizen

**** Lee Kuan Yew Dismisses Singapore's Low Press-Freedom Ranking <http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/world/view_article.php?article_id=94480>
by AFP
Singaporeans are free to read whatever they want, the influential founding prime minister Lee Kuan Yew said of his country, which ranks near the bottom on a watchdog's index of press freedom.

**** Singapore Re-Merge Back Into Malaysia <http://www.chinapress.com.my/content_new.asp?dt=2007-10-15&sec=forum&art=1015fc07.txt>
by China Press
Singapore's success is only a small moment in history, and cannot last.

**** What Is Democracy? <http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2007/10/what-is-democracy.html>
by Goh Meng Seng, Singapore Alternatives
Democracy is not merely about "majority rule". Such thinking is one of the most crude primitive understanding of Democracy.

**** Singapore Can Learn From Myanmar's Opposition <http://singaporepatriot.blogspot.com/2007/10/singapore-can-learn-from-myanmars.html>
by Gerald Giam, Singapore Patriot
I am simply amazed at the grit and determination of the Myanmar opposition activists.

**** Where Are The Passengers? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,144840,00.html?>
by Tan Mae Lynn, New Paper
They wanted the station opened, and they got it. They wanted feeder bus services, they got those too. But they still didn't use Buangkok MRT station on the North-East line.
Now the question is: When will the excuses stop and the very people, who campaigned hard for the station to open, begin using it?

**** A Blanace Between Money And Passion <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/216658.asp>
by Rick Lim Say Kiong, Today
What perturbs me is how new entrants are enticed by the enhancement of remuneration packages. Talents who join for the money will eventually leave for money. A good pay package may attract and retain, but it must be balanced with the passion and enthusiasm to serve.
/One will always wonder, for example, how many of the ministers and MPs are there just becase of money?/

**** Better Gains, But With More Investment Risks <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/216648.asp>
by Jacqueline Poh, Ministry Of Finance, Today
Taken over the last 30 years, the average return on a balanced portfolio of global bonds and equities (5.9 per cent in Singapore dollars) was lower than what the new SMRA (Special, Medisave and Retirement Accounts) formula would have yielded (6.5 per cent).

**** What Price, This Success? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/216668.asp>
by Loh Chee Kong, Today
Lee Kuan Yew: "I don't measure myself by the yardstick of Amnesty International, Freedom House or Reporters Without <Borders>, I measure myself by the objectives of governance of my people."
See Also:
Why Singapore Is What It Is <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_167049.html>, by Lee Kuan Yew, Straits Times.