[MyAppleMenu] Oct 10, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Oct 10 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Apple To Launch Official iPhone Web Applications Directory <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/10/apple_to_launch_official_iphone_web_applications_directory.html>
by AppleInsider

**** VisioVoice Improves Mac OS X's Voice <http://www.macworld.co.uk/education/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=19339>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
VisioVoice makes it easier for people with vision impairments to use Mac OS X, offering a system-wide talking interface, typing echo, text and image zoom windows, large cursors and a document and selection reader.

**** You Work, I Work, We All Work With iWork <http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/iwork-08-review.ars>
by Iljitsch van Beijnum, Ars Technica
Although iWork '08 has its share of flaws, some of which have remained unfixed for years, and some new features are implemented rather sloppily, iWork provides a lot of power in a relatively easy-to-use package, and for a modest price.

**** Theories About Google's Acquisition Of Jaiku <http://factoryjoe.com/blog/2007/10/09/theories-about-googles-acquisition-of-jaiku/>
by FactoryCity
If you think far enough into the future, and realize that the iPhone is essentially the Sputnik of next generation of computing and telephonly, you 'll realize how important the development of presence technology will be in light of the 2.0 Address Book.

**** Is iPod's Hard Drive Days Numbered? <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2007/tc2007109_878560.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_technology>
by Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek
With prices of flash memory chips dropping fast, Apple is likely to make the switch from hard drives to flash for all its music players.

**** The Real, And Fake, Steve Jobs <http://www.macworld.com/2007/10/opinion/nov07spotlight/index.php>
by Andy Ihnatko, Macworld
Think you know the real Apple CEO? You don't.

**** Going For It <http://www.macworld.com/2007/10/opinion/nov07eic/index.php>
by Jason Snell, Macworld
Apple isn't resting on its laurels. It's an aggressive now as it has ever been.

**** The Powerbook! The Powerbook! The Powerbook's On Fire! <http://www.underconsideration.com/speakup/archives/003941.html>
by Under Consideration
The funny thign is, a Mac almost killed me, and I came out of the whole experience feeling more strongly about Apple as a company.

**** Lawsuit Claims iPhone Breaks Calif. Antitrust Laws <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/10/09/antitrust/index.php>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** Diminishing DRM <http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2007/10/diminishdrm/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Christopher Breen, Playlist
The word is starting to get out. Consumers don't care for Digital Rights Management (DRM), the varous schemes devised to restrict media use and, allegedly, protect the rights of media owners and creators.

**** Macs Top Another Satistfaction Survey <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/10/09/macs-top-another-satisfaction-survey>
by Charles Jade, Ars Technica

**** iPod Touch With 1.1.1 Update <http://playlistmag.com/reviews/2007/10/ipodtouchupdate/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Christopher Breen, Playlist
With the 1.1.1 update the quality has improved somewhat. But the touch's feature set remains arbitrary. In short, the iPod touch is a bit better, but still far from perfect.

**** Slicing Apple <http://www.forbes.com/2007/10/08/apple-stock-split-markets-equity-cx_cg_1005markets34.html?partner=yahootix>
by Carl Gutierrez, Forbes
If history is any guide, the time is approaching for a stock-split from Apple.

**** More Brightness Controls <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2007/10/morebrightness/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
DarkAdapted Pro is an impressive utility; its basic features are easy to use, and although its full functionality is likely overkill for many people, it offers enough unique features that even owners of APple's own displays may find soemthing appealing here.

**** I Will Use Good Passwords <http://www.macworld.com/2007/10/features/lockup_passwords/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Joe Kissell, Macworld
Take our Mac security pledge.

**** Proxi 1.5 Released <http://www.macuser.com/updates/proxi_15_released.php?lsrc=murss>
by Derik DeLong, MacUser

**** In Some Schools, iPods Are Required Listening <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/09/education/09ipod.html?_r=1&ex=1349668800&en=2b4712e51570ca4e&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin>
by Winnie Hu, New York Times
The schools here in Hudson County has been handing out the portable digital players to help bilingual students with limited English ability sharpen their vocabulary and grammar by singing along to popular songs.

**** Ballmer Claims Red Hat Violates Microosft IP <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/10/09/Ballmer-claims-Red-Hat-violates-Microsoft-IP_1.html>
by Robert Mullins, Network World
Microsoft's CEO says Red Hat Linux uses unidentified Microsoft intellectual property; analysts thinkt he claim is just a scare tactic.

**** Is Wuala A BitTorrent 2.0? <http://uk.techcrunch.com/2007/10/09/is-wuala-a-bittorrent-20/>
by Mike Butcher, TechCrunch UK

**** Google To Buy Twitter Rival Jaiku <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9793722-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Elinor Mills, CNET News.com
Google is acquiring Helsinki, Finland-based mobile social-networking provider Jaiku, also known as Twitter's competitor.

**** Thunderbird Developers Quit Mozilla <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/10/09/Thunderbird-developers-quit-Mozilla_1.html>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
Just three weeks after Mozilla spun off its Thunderbird to a new subsidiary, the only two paid developers working on the e-mail client said they were quitting the company.

**** Silent Minds <http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/10/15/071015fa_fact_groopman>
by Jerome Groopman, New Yorker
What scanning techniques are revealing about vegetative patients.

**** A Death In The Family <http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2007/11/hitchens200711?currentPage=1>
by Christopher Hitchens, Vanity Fair
Having volunteered for Iraq, Mark Daily was killed in January by an I.E.D. Dismayed to learn that his pro-war articles helped persuade Daily to enlist, the author measures his words against a family's grief and a young man's sacrifice.

**** Why No Singaporean Question And No Singaporean Marches <http://nofearsingapore.blogspot.com/2007/10/wny-no-singaporean-question-and-no.html>
by Huang Shoou Chyuan, nofearSingapore
We must continue to press for greater freedom and choice, which also means greater latitude to express our displeasure (or pleausre) on any issues which we see fit.

**** Something Is Rotten In The State Of Singapore <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/10/10/something-is-rotten-in-the-state-of-singapore/>
by Benjamin Cheah, theonlinecitizen
The constituion itself is at stake. I can think of no reason ho w ahypocrticial government that would break its own laws will be able to justify its rule for long.

**** Singapore Under Pressure To Get Tough With Myanmar <http://beta.malaysia.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20071010/tap-myanmar-singapore-ties-c3bb44c.html>
by Reuters
SIngapore, one of Myanmar's biggest investors, is under pressure from rights groups to use its econoic clout to push the generals down along a more democratic path.
Singapore is a key investor in Myanmar's tourism sector, provides medical care for the regime's generals and is seen as a financialcentre for the Myanmar elite.

**** Repeal Penal Code s377A <http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2007/10/repeal-penal-co.html>
by mrbrown
I cannot accept that my gay friends are legally criminals in Singapore. So I signed it.

**** I Think I Have Just Been Called A Whiner <http://onthereddot.com/ian/2007/10/10/i-think-i-have-just-been-called-a-whiner/>
by Wanderings, Musings And Happenings From Ian On Singapore

**** Capitaland To Acquire F&amp;N's Property Arm? <http://singalore.wordpress.com/2007/10/09/capitaland-to-acquire-fns-property-arm/>
by The News World Disorder
It would make busness sense for Temasek to want to consolidate the property business/assets of F&amp;N into Capitaland. The synergies and near-monopolistic control of the retail mall market in Singapore would be a strong business incentive.

**** Citizen Journalists Are A Threat? <http://www.newschallengeblog.org/2007/10/09/citizen-journalists-are-a-threat/>
by News Challenge Blog
So Singaporeans - talk about ebanking, shopping, and sports all you want, but be wary - blog about politics without approval of the authorities, and you just might be paid a little visit.

**** Singapore Economy: Too Hot To Handle! <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2007/10/singapore-economy-too-hot-to-handle.html>
by Diary Of A Singapore Mind
The people coming in has caused rentals &amp; property prices to escalate at the same time helps to cool wage inflation. So your wages on average will not rise faster than the things in limited supply like property, fresh fish, concert tickets, medical care etc.

**** Lee Kuan Yew Says Myanmar's Ruling Generals Are 'Rather Dumb' <http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/121585.html>
by DPA
Singapore's senior statesman Lee Kuan Yew believes Myanmar's ruling generals are "rather dumb" when it comes to managing the country's economy and will not be able to survive indefinitely, a published interview said Wednesday. However, the army must be part of the solution to the problems facing the country, he said. If the army is dissolved, all of Myanmar's administrative insturments will go with it, and the country will have nothing with which to govern itself.

**** Singapore Dollar Hits New 10-Year High On Cbank Move <http://beta.malaysia.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20071010/tbs-markets-singapore-dollar-a5a65c6.html>
by Reuters
The SIngpaore dollar hit a fresh 10-year high on Wednesday as investors sold the U.S. dollar after the central bank surprised markets with its tighter policy stance.
The Monetary Authority of Singapore in its biannual review said that it would maintain its policy of a "gradual and modest appreciation" in the Singapore dollar but slightly increase the slope of its trade-weighted band.

**** Singapore Slightly Tightens Monetary Policy For Modest, Gradual Appreciation <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/304817/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

**** Singapor GDP Growth Remains Strong In Q3, Up 9.4% Year-On-Year <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/304818/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
The data indicated that the economy is well on track to meet the government's forecast of seven to eight per cent growth for the year.
See Also:
Singapore's GDP Growth Beats Estimates In 3rd Quarter <http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a0JLTQAYLZGg>, by Shamim Adam, Bloomberg.

**** Singapore's Template For Democracy <http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=79565>
by Tom Plate, Pacific Perspectives
Talking to Lee Kuan Yew, Singapore's first prime minister, Tom Plate asks if American democracy is the only way, the best way, or just one way.
See Also:
Full Transcript: Tom Plate And Jeffrey Cole Interview Lee Kuan Yew <http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=79541>, by Tom Plate, Pacific Perspectives.

**** No Thanks, Cab Fares Will Wipe Out Pay Rise <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,144356,00.html?>
by Genevieve Jiang, New Paper

**** Bus Stops In Singapore <http://hyacinthus.wordpress.com/2007/10/10/bus-stops-in-singapore/>
by hya*cinthus
How many different bus-stop designs are there in Singapore?

**** Five Singaproeans Are More Dangerous Than A Group Of Myanmar Nationals Meddling In Singapore Politics? <http://urbanrant.blogspot.com/2007/10/five-singaporeans-are-more-dangerous.html>
by Urbanrant
It now appears that it is easier and acceptable for foreigners to play a part in Singapore politics rather than the Singaporean political opposition member.

**** Time For A "Protest Corner"? <http://melvintansg.blogspot.com/2007/10/time-for-protest-corner.html>
by Melvin Tan, A Singapore Odyssey

**** Fallacious Arguments <http://www.colinandyenyen.com/wordpress/2007/10/09/fallacious-arguments/>
by Colin Goh and Yen Yen Woo
The so-called 'pragmatic' approach is often hypocritical and divorced from reality.

**** Repeal s377A <http://miyagi.sg/2007/10/repeal-s377a/>
by My Very Own Glob

**** Singapore, Indonesia Agree To Put Side Defence Cooperation Agreement Indefinitely <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/304759/1/.html>
by Hasnita A Majid, Channel NewsAsia
Singapore and Indonesia have agreed to put aside the Defence Cooperation Agreement (DCA) indefinitely. The foreign affairs ministry said Singapore respects Jakarta's decision to do this.

**** No Easy Link Between Transport Fare Hikes And Better Service <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/215837.asp>
by Jason Chiam Chiah Sern, Today
I am uncomfortable with transport minister Raymond Lim's statement that capping fares is not feasible and that not increasing bus fares would mean service standards would drop over time. This seems to suggest the only way to provide better service is to increase fares, no matter how insignificant the hikes. The problem, as I see it, is that there is no correlation between the two.

**** Passion Alone Isn't Enough <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/215835.asp>
by Arthur Lim, Tan Hau Teck, Today
Money may not be anything in the world, but it is a necessity.
/Of course money is critical in attracting good people to jobs. But, it will also be naive to think that money alone is enough to attract good people to jobs./

**** Tanjong Pagar Railway Station - Malaysian Food In Singapore <http://sparklette.net/archives/tanjong-pagar-railway-station-malaysian-food-in-singapore/>
by Sparklette.net

**** StarHub Ups The Ante With 'A La Carte' Pay-TV Service <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_165581.html>
by Alfred Siew, Straits Times

**** Counsel Take Exception To Horizon Towers Report <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_165592.html>
by K. S. Rajah, Michael Hwang, K. Shanmugam, Senior Counsel, Straits Times
Neither we nor any of the other counsel invovled were so unprofessional as to allow our personal relationships to affect what we said in court on behalf of our clients.

**** Why Forum At NUS Was Held Indoors <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_165591.html>
by Tan Teck Koon, National University Of Singapore, Straits Times
As outdoor forums of this nature wold contravene the law on public assembly, we had advised the student organisers to move their forums indoors.

**** A Whiff Of Politics Behind Tamasek Probe? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/215873.asp>
by Christie Loh, Today
Political observers say the forces lurking behind the accusations are anything but commercial.

**** Economy Isn't Overheating, Says PM <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/215881.asp>
by Lee U-Wen, Today
Prime minister Lee Hisen Loong disagreed over talks that Singapore economy is overheating. "This year, we expect 7-to-8-per-cent growth. It's a good figure, but at the same time, inflation is well under control," he said.

**** UN Probe: Singapore Hits Back <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/215859.asp>
by Loh Chee Kong, Today
MFA urges anti-fraud team to observe standards of accountability, transparency.
See Also:
Allegations Against Singapore In The Article, "UN Antifraud Team Is In Jeopardy Of Losing Its Funding", Asian Wall Street Journal, 9 October 2007 <http://app.sprinter.gov.sg/data/pr/20071009-MFA.pdf>, by Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Singapore Government. (Note: PDF Document) We have consistently supported strong internal controls and an administration of justice system at the UN, predicated on fairness and accountability. But these principles cannot be applied selectively. The Procurement Task Force (PTF) must also submit itself to the same standards that it seeks to apply to others. Mr Andrew Toh's case clearly reveals a disturbing pattern of abuse of authority by the PTF.