[MyAppleMenu] May 22, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue May 22 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** Million-Color Myth: Apple's Not Alone Making 6-Bit Displays <http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/05/apple_lcd_lawsu.html>
by Rob Beschizza, Wired
The chances are, you think your laptop's LCD panel displays millions of colors. If so, the chances are that you're very much mistaken.

**** Hands On: Setting Up Mac OS X Open Directory <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9019898&source=rss_topic123>
by Ryan Faas, Computerworld
Open Directory, Mac OS X's native directory service, allows users to both manage local accounts management and to create shared directory domains hosted by Mac OS X Server. WIth shared directory domains, administrators can create network accounts that can be used to log into computers and to access server-based resources throughout an organization's network.

**** Apple iTunes Ships iPod Game Of Hit Show 'Lost' <http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=18096>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

**** Feature Presentation <http://www.newyorker.com/talk/financial/2007/05/28/070528ta_talk_surowiecki?from=myapplemenu>
by James Surowiecki, New Yorker
You might think that companies could avoid feature creep by just paying attention to what customers really want. But that's where the trouble begins.

**** HexColorPicker And TextClipping <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2007/05/twoplugins/index.php>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** Silverlight Will Sell A Lot Of Macs, And That Is Very Cool <http://www.oreillynet.com/windows/blog/2007/05/silverlight_will_sell_a_lot_of.html>
by Jesse Liberty, O'Reilly Windows DevCenter Blog
I just sat back and watched it work.

**** Interview With Will Shipley Of Delicious Monster <http://jordanchark.com/blog/?p=27>
by Jordan Chark
I had the change to ask him a few questions regarding his start with development, his past with Omni, and his current deliciousness.

**** R.I.P. FreeHand <http://www.losingfight.com/blog/2007/05/17/rip-freehand/>
by Andy Finnell, Safe From The Losing Fight
I've known for a few years that it was a dead product, but I'm still saddened to see that it's official now.

**** Hello, Residuals <http://johnaugust.com/archives/2007/hello-residuals>
by John August
$86.50.

**** An iMac Phones Home <http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/5547>
by Robert L. Mitchell, Computerworld
Can Apple make gains in the business market? Perhaps that's the wrong question to ask.

**** Apple's Color-Blind MacBook Marketing <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macword/2007/05/colorblind/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jason Snell, Macworld
A lot of Apple's customers are extremely color-sensitive design and graphics professionals. Even if it turns out that the display industry's standard practice /is/ legitimate, Apple owes it to those customers to more completely disclose what they're getting when they buy an Apple computer or display.

**** In Suburbs, Locked Into A High-Tech Lure <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/20/AR2007052001724.html?nav=most_emailed>
by Kim Hart, Washington Post
Fiber-optic service disappoints many, but contracts span decades.

**** Five Crucial Things The Linux Community Doesn't Understnd Abot The Avergae Computer User <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=420>
by Adrian Kingsley-Hughes, ZDNet
It's pretty sad, but beyond a certain small segment of computer users, you can't give Linux away.

**** Remember This? <http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/05/28/070528fa_fact_wilkinson>
by Alex Wilkinson, New Yorker
A project to record everything we do in life.

**** '$100 Laptop' Sparks War Of Words <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6675833.stm>
by BBC News
Nicholas Negroponte accused Intel of selling its own cut-price laptop &mdash; the Classmate &mdash; below cost to drive him out of markets.

**** What If Every Child Had A Laptop? <http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/05/20/60minutes/main2830058.shtml>
by Lesley Stahl, CBS News
Nicholas Negroponte, a professor at MIT, had a dream. In it every child on the planet had his own computer. In that way, he figured, children from the most improverished places &mdash; from deserts and jungles and slums could become educated and part of the modern world. Poor kids would have new possibilities.

**** The Ball Of Earth And Heaven <http://www.slate.com/id/2163334/fr/rss/>
by Shea Stadium, Slate

**** This Is Your Life (And How You Tell It) <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/22/health/psychology/22narr.html?ex=1337486400&en=ffa067cbab04016e&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Benedict Carey, New York Times
Every American may be working on a screenplay, but we are also continually updating a treatment of our own life &mdash; and the way in which we visualize each scene not only shapes how we think about ourselves, but how we behave, new studies find.

**** His First Objective: Write A Page-Turner <http://www.calendarlive.com/books/cl-et-frost22may22,0,6332599.story?track=rss>
by Scott Timberg, Los Angeles Times
A little-known Nazi spy mission during the Battle of the Bulge inspires 'Twin Peaks' co-creator Mark Frost to emulate the World War II thrillers of yore.

**** Interviews, Going The Way Of The Linotype? <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/20/AR2007052001549.html?nav=most_emailed>
by Howard Kurtz, Washington Post
The humble interview, the linchpin of journalism for centuries, is under assault.

**** In Prison <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2007/05/28/070528po_poem_valentine>
by Jean Valentine, New Yorker

**** Puppy <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2007/05/28/070528fi_fiction_saunders>
by George Saunders, New Yorker

**** The Mystery Of The Daytime Idle: Why Aren't You Working? <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2007/05/21/onthejob.DTL>
by Chris Colin, San Francisco Chronicle
Two mysteries have followed me well into adulthood: Does soaping yourself work underwater, and how come there are so many people out on the street all day, seemingly not working? Having pitched a work, and not a soap, column, I recently attempted to answer the latter.

**** Singapore's Real-Estate Bubble Won't Be Pricked <http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601039&sid=acv7Zo0hBK1M>
by Andy Mukherjee, Bloomberg
Those who believe all central banks should be in the business of pricking bubbles will find the Singapore authority's stance unsatisfactory. But the Monetary Authority will be prudent to react only if runaway asset prices spill over into consumer prices. That is what it did between 1991 and 1994.

**** Asean Open Sky Policy Not Likely To Be Brought Forward, Says Najib <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_business.php?id=263486>
by Bernama
The Association of South-East Asian Nations (Asean) open sky policy is unlikely to be brought forward to this year from 2008, deputy prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said.

**** HK-Listed China Eastern Airlines Says Singapore Air To Buy Co Stake <http://www.abcmoney.co.uk/news/22200775527.htm>
by XFN
China Eastern Airlines Corp Ltd said it has reached an agreement allowing Singapore Airlines to buy a stake in the mainland carrier.
A copmpany official told XFN-Aisa that the talks have been concluded, but he declined to give further details, saying an official announcement will be made on or before Friday.
See Also:
Singapore 'To Buy China Eastern' <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6679445.stm>, by BBC News. Shares in SIngapore Airlines and China Eastern Airlines have been suspended amid reports that Singapore is about to buy a 25% stake in the CHinese carrier.

**** RI Told To Stand Up To Singapore's New Strengths <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailheadlines.asp?fileid=20070522.A04&irec=3>
by Ridwan Max Sijabat, Jakarta Post
A legal expert and national resilience supporter have warned the government against providing Singapore with concession in moves to enhance bilateral ties.
In a seminar on defense and foreign policy organized by the Golkar Party on Monday, they said foreign policy should be pursued consistently for the sake of the people.

**** Cord Blood Saves First Singapore Life <http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=118906>
by DPA

**** GST Hike + NETS Fee Hike = Opportunity For Profiteering <http://www.mrbiao.com/blog/gst-hike-nets-fee-hike-opportunity-for-profiteering.html>
by This Lush Garden Within
Singaporeans are once again exploited by the market economy that we love and hate.

**** The Singapore Solution <http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=5864>
by Chris Winslow, On Line Opinion
A vehicle quota system offers a long term traffic management system that is much more comprehensive than tolls and congestion charges.

**** Singapore Government Television Interviews Taiwan's President For The First Time <http://www5.chinesenewsnet.com/MainNews/Topics/cna_2007_05_21_09_02_19_750.html>
by Chinese News Net
This is surprising because of the closeness between Singapore and China.

**** Natons Spend Billions To Woo Biotech <http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.aspx?feed=AP&Date=20070521&ID=6928825>
by Associated Press
One major success story is Singapore's Biopolis, a 222,000-square-foot site opened in 2004 with the purpose of harnessing the nation's biomedical industry. In addition to a myriad of small, clinical-stage companies, several large international drug developers including Eli Lilly &amp; Co. and Genentech Inc. have set up research and manufacturing shops at the site.

**** Singapore's Healthcare System - Uniquely Singapore? (Part 2) <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/05/21/singapores-healthcare-system-uniquely-singapore-part-2/>
by Leong Sze Hian, theonlinecitizen

**** God, Morality And Haidt <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2007/yax-746.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
For our future, we've got to learn to settle issues primarily through the harm and fairness principles. We've got to learn to distinguish valid arguments from spurious ones that pretend to be harm and fairness considerations, but are in fact trojan horses for the other foundational yearnings.

**** Footpaths Won't Be Safe For Pedestrians Any More If Cyclists Are Allowed To Use Them <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=f832758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:504911bfa3ea2110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
by Eleanor Soo-Tho May Sein, Straits Times
/I will encourage every pedestrians that has been threatened by a cyclist in Tampines (and elsewhere too) report to the police. I will encourage people to take videos of dangerous cyclists on pavements and post them on videos. Flood the authorities./

**** Another Blow To Sanctity Of Civilian War Memorial <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:c54ec87f9bfa2110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
by Daryl Hong Shyh Long, Straits Times
The mausoleum element of the Civilian War Memorial has been largely forgotten.
/In fact, I already cannot remember a time when there are no ugly construction sites in the downtown area./

**** NS And Punishment Serve Different Purposes <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:549fc87f9bfa2110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
by Jie Kai Koh, Straits Times
The purpose of criminal punishment, even of a young offender, is not just rehabilitation. A criminal sentence is also society's way of sending out a message of retribution and deterrence.
/We must also not forget that we treat adult and children "criminals" differently. Teenagers are not children, that's for sure, but they aren't adults either./
See Also:
Passing The Buck To Mindef Won't Help <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:9f4fc87f9bfa2110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>, by Tan Hong Boon, Straits Times.

**** Singapore-Indonesia Pact Problematic <http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/4821896.html>
by Gillian Wong, Associated Press
Singapore said Monday an extradition treaty with Indonesia will help crime-fighting cooperation, but could create problems as the two neighbors scrutinize each other's judicial processes.