[MyAppleMenu] Mar 22, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Mar 22 13:15:00 EDT 2007

*** BeLight Software Ships Switft Publisher 2.0
<http://www.macminute.com/2007/03/21/swift-publisher/>
MacMinute

BeLight Software today announced the release of Swift Publisher 2.0, a new version to its page layout application for designing and printing flyers, newsletter, brochures, booklets, etc.

*** Research Firm Says Apple Notebook Number Miscalculated
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/03/21/notebook/index.php>
Jim Darlymple, Macworld

*** Apple Had 4.1% Of Total Notebook Computer Market In 4Q06
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2007/03/21.8.shtml>
John Martellaro, Mac Observer

[Opinion]

*** How Did Apple Blow It With QuickTime VR?
<http://blog.wired.com/cultofmac/2007/03/how_did_apple_b.html>
Pete Mortensen, Wired News

QuickTime VR should have been a contender.

*** Loyalty Vs Perference
<http://thebrandbuilder.blogspot.com/2007/03/loyalty-vs-preference.html>
Olivier Blanchard, The Brand Builder Blog

The reality of a brand's success and apparent customer loyalty comes down to little more than choice. Or rather, preference.

*** Apple TV's Blurry Future
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/mar2007/tc20070321_959989.htm>
Stephen H Wildstrom, BusinessWeek

Wouldn't it be great if iTunes were a one-stop source for all online video? One can always hope the studios will "get it" and just fall in line. But given the fractious and fragmented nature of the entertainment industry, I wouldn't bet on it.

*** We Get It; Apple TV Is Not A DVR
<http://www.macuser.com/hardware/we_get_it_apple_tv_is_not_a_dv.php?lsrc=murss>
Derik DeLong, MacUser

*** Simple Truths About Cross-Platform Apps
<http://theocacao.com/document.page/440>
Scott Stevenson, Theocacao

Developing an application specifically for the Mac will allow you to do things that are not possible with a cross-platform toolkit.

*** For Security, You Can't Beat Mac OS X
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=324>
Adrian Kingsley-Hughes, ZDNet

This hints that OS X might be a tough nut for hackers to crack and that this is keeping malware under control.

*** Why Did Cingular Want The iPhone?
<http://applephoneshow.com/index.php/archives/92>
Apple Phone Show

According to my source, Cingular/AT&T will assign virtually no marketing costs to the iPhone. With Apple taking the lead in marketing the phone, Cingular/AT&T believes they'll just have to sit back and rake in the money.

*** Apple Products As Collectibles
<http://theappleblog.com/2007/03/21/apple-products-as-collectibles/>
Iyaz Akhtar, The Apple Blog

I know I am not the only one who views Apple products as collectibles.

*** iTunes: Why Does The 'Get Info' Command Not Take An Ellipsis?
<http://www.betalogue.com/2007/03/21/itunes-why-does-the-get-info-command-not-take-an-ellipsis/>
Pierre Igot, Betalogue

Make iTunes more consistent with your own guidelines!

*** A Cheap Way To Beef Up Apple TV As A DVR?
<http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/03/a_cheap_way_to_.html>
David Becker, Wired News

Apple bloggers and anlysts suspect that may not be a problem for long, noting the as-yet unitilized USB port on the set-top box.

*** 10 Reasons Why The $300 iDongle Is Not For Me
<http://thomashawk.com/2007/03/10-reasons-why-300-idongle-is-not-for.html>
Thomas Hawk, Digital Connection

Why not just buy a Mac Mini, use Elgato's EyeTV, and skip the middle man?

*** My Digital Life: On Keeping Stuff
<http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2007/03/my_digital_life_on_keeping_stu.html>
Erica Sadun, O'Reilly Mac DevCenter Blog

I have no problem tossing magazines. So why did I feel like a murderer on Sunday when I trashed that episode of Bones where Brennan gets blown up after dancing in Bones' apartment?

*** How Smart Are Your Playlists?
<http://theappleblog.com/2007/03/21/how-smart-are-your-playlists/>
Louis Gray, The Apple Blog

With so many options to choose from, the opportunities are seemingly limitless.

*** Security Experts Befuddled By Lack Of OS X Malware
<http://www.macuser.com/security/security_experts_befuddled_by.php>
Dan Moren, MacUser

Those poor security experts! They've been telling us for ages and ages that malware on OS X was imminent. That it was right around the corner, lurking like some sort of...er...lurker. Any day now.

[Review]

*** Mac Reloaded: The MacBook Pro Experience
<http://www.bangkokpost.com/Database/21Mar2007_data08.php>
Graham K. Rogers, Bangkok Post

*** Apple TV Has Landed
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/22/technology/22pogue.html?ex=1332216000&en=87049b8c46d6ae4e&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
David Pogue, New York Times

If you stay within the Apple ecosystem -- use its online store, its jukebox software and so on -- you get a seamless, trouble-free experience, with a greater selection of TV shows and movies than you can find from any other online store.

*** From PC To TV -- Via Apple
<http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/solution-20070321.html?sr=hotnews.rss>
Walter S. Mossberg and Katherine Boehret, Wall Street Journal

It's a beautifully designed, easy-to-use product that should be very attractive to people with widescreen TV sets and lots of music, videos, and photos stored on computers.

[Sidetrack]

*** Springtime For Leopard
Heng-Cheong Leong

It's officially spring <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_%28season%29>, or at least where Steve Jobs' office is. (Down here in Singapore where I am, there is only one official season: hot and sweaty.) That means that we can expect Leopard to spring (sorry) on us any Tuesday now.

After what seems like a season of nothingness from Apple, it sure is exciting now that Steve Jobs is getting ready to show us what super-duper ultra-uber new stuff that Apple has been keeping in drapes to hide from that big photocopy machine up north.

I just hope it's just not a new check box in iTunes to support iPod Hi-Fi II. :-)

*** Congress Must Make Clear Copyright Laws To Protect Consumers
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB117452094467244796-rPbPr5wjJeLbAvGJ4HesU1fMf_8_20070420.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top>
Walter S. Mossberg, Wall Street Journal

If you don't like all of the restrictions on the use of digital content, the solution isn't to steal the stuff. A better choice is to pressure congress to pass a new copyright law, one that protects the little guy and the internet itself.

*** Newspapers Will Never Get It Right
<http://strom.wordpress.com/2007/03/20/newspapers-will-never-get-it-right/>
David Hakala, Web Informant

Take the money wasted on content delivery and invest it in content creation.

*** Rembrandt's Amsterdam
<http://travel.latimes.com/articles/sns-trvmain1-wk2>
Alan Solomon, Los Angeles Times

He was an artist, a true genius whose gift continues to enlighten and intrigue us 400 years after his birth.

*** The Wisdom Of Children
<http://www.newyorker.com/humor/2007/03/26/070326sh_shouts_rich>
Simon Rich, New Yorker

A conversation at the grownup table, as imagined at the kids' table.

[Expressions]

*** An Intelligent Designer On The Cow
<http://www.inklingmagazine.com/articles/an-intelligent-designer-on-the-cow/>
Dave Ng, Inkling Magazine

Our creator's stream of consciousness while fabricating the cow.

*** Malaysia Expects Talks With Singapore On Train In '07
<http://www.reuters.com/article/reutersEdge/idUSKLT00477920070322>
Reuters

Malaysia expects to start talks with neighboring Singapore on high-speed train project this year, the chief minister of southern Johor state said on Thursday.

*** Government Sets Rules Of Engagement In Face Of New Media
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/265682/1/.html>
Hasnita A Majid, Channel NewsAsia

The government will continue to set political agendas and rules of engagement in the face of the new media, and will not be dictated by online petitions or polls. Speaking at a Foreign Correspondents Association lunch on the government's approach to the new media, second minister for information, communications and the arts, Dr Vivian Balakrishnan, said with the internet, fault lines are even more exposed to foreign influence in the form of religious extremism and terrorism.

*** Asian Educators Looking To Loudoun For An Edge
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/18/AR2007031801160.html>
Michael Alison Chandler, Washington Post

The scientists had come thousands of miles from the island nation of Singapore to the Academy of Science in Sterling in search of ways to improve their teaching. This could be considered surprising, given that Singapore's eighth-graders rank No. 1 in science and math globally and those in the United States rank ninth in science and 15th in math, according to the 2003 Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study. But rankings aren't everything -- how America teaches is admired.

*** Academics Criticise Honour For Former Singapore PM
<http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/news/stories/s1878669.htm>
Radio Australia

Academics says former Singapore prime minister, Lee Kuan Yew's poor record on human rights, should preclude him from an honorary doctorate from the Australian National University.

*** To Singapore, To Buy A New Home
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/178805.asp>
Lee U-Wen, Today

Never before have foreigners picked up so many homes here in a single year, and analysts said that the reasons for them to do so are getting more and more compelling.

*** KPPU Asked To Look Into Temasek's Monopoly
<http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailnational.asp?fileid=20070321.H08&irec=7>
Ridwan Max Sijabat, Jakarta Post

The House of Representatives commission overseeing state enterprises has called on the Business Competition Supervisory Commission (KPPU) to assess Indonesia's national interests in the divestment of two telecommunication firms to a Singapoeran holding company.

[Opinion]

*** Malaysia And Its Singaorean Inferiority Complex
<http://www.infernalramblings.com/articles/Malaysian_Politics/224/>
Infernal Ramblings

Until we escape this bitterness, we will remain as political immature as a nation as we were at independence.

*** The Elizabeth Hotel, Singapore
<http://happyamsguy.blogspot.com/2007/03/elizabeth-hotel-singapore.html>
Adventures And Random Brain Waves

Chantel may be a "confidential secretary", but for she sure she can't read.

*** Climate Change And Singapore
<http://whatonearth.wordpress.com/2007/03/22/climate-change-and-singapore/>
What On Earth Are You Doing?

*** Bus-Service Info At All Bus Stops By August
<http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:e446e080de471110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Naleeza Ebrahim, Land Transport Authority, Straits Times

LTA is working with the bus operators, through TransitLink, to put up the information at the remaining bus stops by August.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]