[MyAppleMenu] Mar 18, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Mar 18 13:15:00 EDT 2007

*** A Solemn Goodbye To The Apple Wireless Mouse
<http://www.macuser.com/accessories/a_solemn_goodbye_to_the_apple.php?lsrc=murss>
Scott Silverman, MacUser

Citing "parts supply issues" Apple has discontinued production of its original, one-button wireless bluetooth mouse.

[Opinion]

*** Ready, Aim... Listen To Pretty Music!
<http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/news/local/states/california/16930002.htm>
Tony Hicks, Contra Costa Times

I have an idea that can solve both my problem and those of the quasi-insane people who think night jogging in Berkeley is a good idea. I'm asking Apple to start making iPods with flame-throwers attached.

*** War Drums From Apple
<http://gracefulflavor.net/2007/03/18/war-drums-from-apple/>
Graceful Flavor

The armies are amassing now, and only a fool can't hear the drums.

*** Full Radio Silence On The Mac
<http://davidweiss.blogspot.com/2007/03/full-radio-silence-on-mac.html>
David Weiss

[Sidetrack]

*** There's Money To Be Made On Vaporware
Heng-Cheong Leong

No, the iPhone hasn't been released yet. But, according to HammerTap <http://press-releases.techwhack.com/8222/iphone-ebay/>'s research, more than $18,000 wroth of iPhone buzz has exchanged hands on eBay.

*** Superstunt For The Superbowl
Heng-Cheong Leong

It's the greatest biggest football match of the year, so what do you do? A SuperSunt <http://www.zug.com/pranks/super/index01.html>, of course!

*** Souls Of The New Machine
<http://www.boston.com/ae/books/articles/2007/03/18/souls_of_the_new_machine/>
Gail Cladwell, Boston Globe

How our reliance on the online universe can endanger the vital tool of narrative.

[Tech & Science]

*** Free To Choose
<http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&articleID=5B90A7E1-E7F2-99DF-3083871CC967A052&ref=rss>
Michael Shermer, Scientific American

The neuroscience of choice exposes the power of ideas.

[Life]

*** Prince Of Darkness
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/18/magazine/18hill.t.html?ex=1331870400&en=cbd20fdc7046827f&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Ben Neihart, New York Times

How Joe Hill got over being Stephen King's son and wrote his own best-selling horror novel.

*** Television: Pilot Error
<http://www.startribune.com/459/story/1057913.html>
Neal Justin, Star Tribune

The way TV develops programming flies in the face of creative greatness. But changing course is a tricky proposition.

*** Sand Ban A Lost Opportunity For Economic Cooperation, Says S'pore PM
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=251883>
Jackson Sawatan, Bernama

Singapore prime minister Lee Hsien Loong has described Indonesia's ban on sand export as a lost opportunity for economic cooperation which hurts both sides, a report here said. Commenting for the first time on the issue, Lee said that Singapore had to accept the decision and look for ways to overcome the problem.

*** Singapore Accused Of Land Grab As Islands Disappear By Boatload
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article1527751.ece>
Richard Lloyd Parry, The Times

The huge South-East Asian nation, Indonesia, has become caught up in a furious dispute with Singapore, its tiny neighbour, which is accused of literally making off with its territory.

*** Singapore At Ease With Capital Flows
<http://www.gulfnews.com/business/Banking_and_Finance/10111819.html>
Reuters

The Monetary Authority of Singapore, the country's de facto central bank, is expected to stick to its three-year-old, modestly tight monetary policy, even though analysts say that warning lights are flashing.

[Opinion]

*** Reaction To Reactions To SM's Comments
<http://perspectiveunlimited.blogspot.com/2007/03/groundhog-over-reaction-when-sm-goh.html>
Perspective Unlimited

It is part of the process that some will come, some will stay, and some will leave. There is also a recognition that some talent churn may in fact be a healthy thing. This is one area where I think official thinking is ahead of many bloggers.

*** Engaging Iran: Singapore Is Playing Its Cards Right
<http://urbanrant.blogspot.com/2007/03/engaging-iran-singapore-is-playing-its.html>
Urbanrant

*** This Is A True Story - Thoughts On A Play About The Death Penalty
<http://aussgworldpolitics.wordpress.com/2007/03/18/this-is-a-true-story-thoughts-on-a-play-about-the-death-penalty/>
Readings From A Political Duo-Ble

While Lex Lasry is right to concur that the Singapore government is extremely infelxible on granting clemency to death penalty cases, he fails to mention that there are more intricate complications when it comes to discussing and abolishing the death penalty in Singapore.