[MyAppleMenu] Mar 10, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Mar 10 13:15:01 EST 2007

[Top Stories]

*** Music's New Gatekeeper
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB117340340327331757-aqC21fdikWTyQ_8Wq0nkNv4l5j4_20070407.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top>
Nick Wingfield and Ethan Smith, Wall Street Journal

From their Silicon Valley cubicles, Apple staffers have become music's unlikely power brokers.

[News]

*** Glen Wexler: Bovine Fancies
<http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/wexler/>
Bija Gutoff, Apple

*** Scott Pagano and Jochem Paap: Hi-Fi Fusion
<http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/pagano/?sr=hotnews.rss>
Dustin Driver, Apple

What instruments do the radical artists turn to when they conduct their audio-visual experiments? "It's a no-brainer for me to pick the Mac."

*** Apple's 5th Ave NYC Store Built Out In Second Life
<http://www.boingboing.net/2007/03/09/apples_5th_ave_nyc_s.html>
Xeni Jardin, Boing Boing

[Opinion]

*** Various Responses To The "Apple Capital" Idea
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2007/03/various_respons.html?campaign_id=rss_blog_byteoftheapple>
Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek

I have no clue what Apple's pans for its cash are. But I do know the questions on this topic are going to get louder as the pile grows.

*** Paradigm Shifting Without A Clutch
<http://www.enewscourier.com/entertainment/cnhinspopculture_story_067164850.html?keyword=topstory>
Leif M. Wright, News Courier

Apple has become wildly successful not by trying to destroy competition, nor by trying to "own" a market, but instead by making products that people like and by making those products easy enought o use that people want them.

*** Beware Apple's iPhone Froth
<http://www.forbes.com/personalfinance/2007/03/08/apple-nokia-motorola-pf-ii-in_ty_0308soapbox_inl.html>
Taesik Yoon, Forbes

A closer look at the handset market, as well as at Apple's own launch strategy, suggest 10 million units could prove too lofty a goal for even a consumer electronics powerhouse like Apple.

[Sidetrack]

*** Rumor Today: Apple Plans To Add H.264 Hardware Support To Its Entire Line
Heng-Cheong Leong

I, Cringely <http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007/pulpit_20070308_001806.html>: By going with a chip, Apple ensures the same base performance level from every machine it sells, from the lowliest Mac Mini right up to the mightiest four-core Mac Pro.... The chip Apple has chosen doesn't just do hardware H.264 decoding, it does hardware H.264 encoding, too.

*** Programming Provocateurs
<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1597539,00.html>
Coco Masters, Time

What draws workers to MobiTV? A hot technology, a cool company and maybe even a big payoff.

*** The Big Leap
<http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/business/la-tm-ohioboys10mar11,0,352232.story?track=mostviewed-splashpage>
Deborah Netburn, Los Angeles Times

There are a lot of somebodies in Hollywood, but there are even more nobodies -- the workday dreamers who give L.A. its unique texture and energy. In a town where writers want to be actors and video store clerks yearn to direct, hopefuls like Brad Burnett, Dino Pergola and Matt and Greg Bell became faces in the crowd when they moved here from the heartland. We took a closer look as they hustled valet jobs and unpaid agency internships, learned how to write screenplays and found ways to measure success one meeting at a time. This is the story of their first year in L.A.

*** The Theory Of The Leisure Class
<http://www.slate.com/id/2161309/fr/rss/>
Steven E. Landsburg, Slate

An econonmic mystery: why do the poor seem to have more free time than the rich?

*** Singapore Says Willing To Allow Other Carriers To Operate KL-Singapore Route
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=250593>
Bernama

Singapore is prepared to allow other Singapore and Malaysia carriers to operate on the Singapore - Kuala Lumpur route but that this can only be done through a change in the current Air Service Agreement betwen both countries, transport minister Raymond Lim said.

*** SIA Pitch Shame: Batey Left Out In The Cold
<http://www.marketing-interactive.com/index.php?session=289cf45c321be51b6a76bef527cb4bff&module=Article_Detail&art_id=5782&category=14>
Marketing Magazine

The agency which borne the Singapore Girl, Batey, has lost the battle to retain the lucrative Singapore Airlines account as the shortlist narrowed to just three agencies -- DDB, Publicis and TBWA.

*** Singapore Worried Over Safety Of Buildings On Reclaimed Land After Tremor Experience
<http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/Display_news.asp?section=World_News&subsection=Rest+of+the+World&month=March2007&file=World_News2007031012320.xml>
Reuters

Engineers say that because reclaimed land is created by dumping sand into bodies of water, buildings rock more violently during tremors, although that does not mean they are unstable.

*** Thailand Wants Locals To Own Thai AirAsia
<http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BT/Saturday/Nation/BT612403.txt/Article/>
Bloomberg

The Thai government would like to see local management buy a stake in Thai AirAsia Co from Temasek Holdings Pte's Shin Corp to remvoe concerns over the use of nominees for overseas investors.

[Opinion]

*** Assessing Teachers
<http://jollypuddle.com/?p=454>
Flying Low

Surely most people would agree that what we do in the classroom is of greatest importance and not how many carnivals we organised for the community.

*** One Country, Two Systems: For How Long?
<http://singaporemedia.blogspot.com/2007/03/one-country-two-systems-for-how-long.html>
Cherian George, Singapore: New Media, Politics & The Law

*** Look To Productivity, Not Immigration, To Boost Growth
<http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:1fcf0eba09731110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Richard Lim Siong Kheng, Straits Times

There ought to be smarter ways to grow our economic pie.

*** Clarification From A*Star Over AcidFlask Incident
<http://aaron-ng.info/blog/clarification-from-astar-over-acidflask-incident.html>
Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]

*** A Nervous Tic Motion Of The Head To The Left
<http://www.andrewbird.net/listen.htm>
Andrew Bird
<http://ekonomiskmgmt.com/audio/andrew_bird/Nervous_Tic.mp3>