[MyAppleMenu] Mar 8, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Mar 8 13:15:00 EST 2007

*** Apple: America's Best Retailer
<http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/03/19/8402321/?postversion=2007030806>
Jerry Useem, Fortune

The high-tech wundercompany has landed -- not only on our street corners and in our malls, but also for the first time, on the top 10 of Fortune's Most Admired Companies.

*** Adobe To Release Two Versions Of Photoshop CS3
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/03/07/photoshop/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

The new markets Adobe is reaching out with Photoshop Extended include professionals in architecture, engineering, medicine, and science. Photoshop CS3 Extended includes the same tools as Photoshop CS3 plus a new set of capabilities for integration of 3-D and motion graphics, image measurement, and analysis.

*** Apple And Microsoft Users Differ On Age And Bias
<http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197801029&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_News>
Thomas Claburn, InformationWeek

Internet metrics firm Hitwise reopens a discussion into which of the companies has a monopoly on "cool."

*** Apple Product Shortages, iPhone Receipt, Store Closing
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2555>
AppleInsider

Reports from overseas claim that several Mac and iPod products are becoming scarce ahead of potential refreshes.

*** Analysts: Apple To Use More NAND Flash Memory
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2101661,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Scott Ferguson, eWeek

Apple will likely introduce more NAND flash memory in several of its future products, including a sub-notebook that should hit the market by the second half of this year, according to a March 7 report by American Technology Research.

*** Apple Exec Disses Vista As No Threat To Leopard
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/03/07/vistaleopard/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

Apple's CFO said Tuesday that Windows Vista is no threat to Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard" and argued that the steep hardware requirements of Microsoft's new operating system will give Leopard an opportunity to step in and grab more market share.

[Opinion]

*** iTunes Customer Service
<http://macseason.com/2007/03/08/the-itunes-customer-service/>
Mac Season

*** Photoshop Over-Extended?
<http://www.macuser.com/software/photoshop_overextended.php?lsrc=murss>
Derik DeLong, MacUser

Does this repeated use of the Photoshop brand help or hinder it as a product?

*** 42 Reasons Normal People Can Switch To Macs
<http://valleywag.com/tech/apple/42-reasons-normal-people-can-switch-to-macs-242430.php>
Nick Douglas, Valleywag

Are Macs just for hipster designers? Not at all!

*** The Case For The Mac
<http://www.johnsadventures.com/archives/2007/03/the_case_for_the_mac.html>
John's Adventures

I'm not naive enough to beleive that Apple design and make everything in their computers, but they take charge of the most important bits. Apple gives you attention to detail that you just don't get from PC manufacturers.

*** Intel's Roadmap May Be Apple's Road
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2101695,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Daniel Drew Turner, eWeek

Apple has legendarily been mum on its future product plans, but its relatively recent switch to Intel processors in its Macintosh line of computers has tied these products, at least in processor capabilities, to Intel's public product plans.

*** Bailing On Apple
<http://www.fool.com/community/pod/2007/070307.htm>
Motley Fool

I'm out of AAPL. It's been a nice ride these last few years, but for me the rides over. At least for now. I thought I'd just explain why.

*** An Open letter To Steve Jobs
<http://defectivebydesign.com/actions/open_letter/steve_jobs>
Gregory Heller, DefectiveByDesign.org

Apple carries a large part of the responsibility for the situation in which consumers now find themselves.

[Review]

*** Extreme Base Station Puts The Others To Shame
<http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/288088,CST-FIN-Andy08.article>
Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times

Given its ability to deliver a network that's not just faster but also far more useful, it sounds like a good investment in your network's future.

*** Windows, Macs Co-Exist
<http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/edwardbaig/2007-03-07-parallels_N.htm>
Edard C Baig, USA Today

Reluctant to switch to a Macintosh because so much of your favorite software requires Microsoft Windows? Now you don't have to hold back.

*** Big Bang Fun Games For The Brain
<http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/review_big_bang_fun_games_for_the_brain/>
Don Foy, Macsimum

Freeverse failed miserably.

*** Event Reminder 2.8.6
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2007/03/eventreminder/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

Event Reminder isn't the prettiest or most polished Mac OS X application I've seen, but it's useful for giving you a quick look at what's coming up on your schedule.

[Sidetrack]

*** There's Washington, And Then There's Washington
Heng-Cheong Leong

What's is the opposite <http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/07/Mar/balance.html> of Washington state?

*** Zune For A Song
Heng-Cheong Leong

Turns out that Microsoft cannot even sell <http://apcstart.com/5535/window_shopping> it's Zune MP3 player in its own employee store at the Redmond campus...

This whole PlayForSure-Oh-And-Zune business strategy by Microsoft is so different from its humble beginnings when it was selling MS-DOS to IBM and Compaq. Imagine if Microsoft came up with Windows 1.0 that only works with Microsoft Computers, while MS-DOS (and perhaps OS/2?) will work with the other PlayForSure (a.k.a. IBM compatible) computers? Apple would have won. :-)

*** To Hell In A Handset
<http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2028878,00.html>
Stuart Jeffries, The Guardian

Watches are on the way out. The days of the diary are numbered. And cameras could be next. The world is becoming a poorer place -- thanks to the mobile phone.

*** What's The Hottest Video-Game Console Of Them All?
<http://www.slate.com/id/2161405/fr/rss/>
Chris Baker, Slate

It's not the Wii, the Xbox 360, or the Playstation 3...

*** Aura Of Inevitability (Or: When A Technology's Time has Come)
<http://www.graphpaper.com/2007/02-23_aura-of-inevitability>
Graphpaper.com

Certain technology products are so obvious that when they finally emerge many people shrug and wonder "what took it so long?" We knew they were coming, but year after year they never actually materialized.

*** Do The Impossible: Know Thyself
<http://www.newenglishreview.org/custpage.cfm?frm=5863&sec_id=5863>
Theodore Dalrymple, New English Review

Self-understanding is not around the corner and never will be. We shall never be able seamlessly to join knowledge and action.

*** Think You Know How To Read, Do You?
<http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2007/03/08/reading/>
Tom Lutz, Salon

A new throng of authors wants to sve literature from our nefarious English departments and teach us how to read their way. Now, class, pay attention.

*** How To Bottle A Generation
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/08/fashion/08CALVIN.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
Eric Wilson, New York Times

Calvin Klein hopes to rejuvenate a fragrance embodying the essense of hip 20-somethings -- even at the risk that such a notion is as outdated as a Prince song about partying like it's 1999.

*** Classical Music Ring Tones: Short And Sour
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/lifestyle/chi-0703070116mar07,1,2943359.story?coll=chi-leisuretempo-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true>
Alan G. Artner, Chicago Tribune

Every generation finds new and better ways to ruin things, and one of the best today is the classical ring tone.

*** How We Ended Up With The Great Wall Of Waterfront Blight
<http://www.seattleweekly.com/2007-03-07/news/how-we-ended-up-with-the-great-wall-of-waterfront-blight.php>
Brian Miller, Seattle Weekly

The great bypass route was actually conceived during the 1920s, well before there was any need for it.

*** Fears Of Crowding, Pollution In Clean, Green Singapore
<http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070308/lf_afp/singaporeasiademographicsenvironment_070308050742>
AFP

Singapore's planning for a long-term population of 6.5 million, up nearly 50 percent from the current level, has raised the spectre of overcrowding and pollution in one of Asia's most liveable cities.

*** Expect 450,000 Jobs Over The Next 5 Years
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/176040.asp>
Loh Chee Kong, Today

Manpower minister Ng Eng Hen also said the government woul dbe injecting $20 million into a new programme to help displayed PMETs (professionals, managers, executives and technicians) to exploit the tightening labour market.

*** Online Record Will Not Compromise Confidentiality
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/176009.asp>
Tan Hui Leng, Today

Confidentiality will be key when the government rolls out the Electronic Medical Record system across the board. This was the assurance given by health minister Khaw Boon Wan to allay fears of potential abuse of the online plan, which would enable doctors in the public and private sectors access to patients' records.

*** MOE Takes Great Ownership Of Pre-School And Special Needs Education
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/262596/1/.html>
Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia

In a pilot project implemented in 10 kindergartens last year, pre-schoolers weak in English receive help under the Focused Language Assistance In Reading programme.

*** Concern Over Flight Training By Singapore
<http://nationmultimedia.com/2007/03/08/national/national_30028773.php>
Weerayut Chokchaimadon, The Nation

Defence Minister Boonrawd Somtas yesterday denied Singapore's air force was being allowed to exploit the use of a military airport in Udon Thani to spy on Thailand's neighbours.

[Opinion]

*** A Case For Limiting guarantor Liability In Healthcare
<http://kwayteowman.blogspot.com/2007/03/case-for-limiting-guanrantor-liability.html>
The Kway Teow Man

is it fair for patients to bear the risk of the huge bills arising from medical complications?

*** There Is A Limit To Freedom Of Speech
<http://www.thejakartapost.com/detaileditorial.asp?fileid=20070308.F07&irec=6>
Adithya Lesmana, Jakarta Post

I think Indonesia has expressed its gratitude through its business transactions with Singapore, which benefit Singapore more than Indonesia.

*** On Being Different In A Conformist World
<http://scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com/2007/03/on-being-different-in-conformist-world.html>
Ainan Celeste Cawley, The Boy Who Knew Too Much: A Child Prodigy

In my childhood, everyone seemed to have subtly different hair, across a wide range of possibilities. Here, in most cases, it is black and straight.

*** Reality Shows, Singapore Style
<http://mootzman.wordpress.com/2007/03/08/reality-shows-singapore-style/>
The Adventures Of Mootz-Man

Here are some reality shows with a Uniquely Singaporean twist.

*** Free Up The Free WiFi
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/175981.asp>
Michael A Podolinsky, Today

To get "free" access, you need to sign up, enter passwords and codes and not just from one provider, but three major players and a host of smaller ones. That is not something free.

*** Exhibitions Of Nude Artworks Allowed
<http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:bad4b54b00d21110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
K Bhavani, Ministry of Information, Communications and the Arts, Straits Times

The Mica atrium is a public area which is visited by members of the public, including school children. Display of artworks in such a public space should be done with sensitivity.

*** Is The Aim Of Education A Set Of Perfect Scores?
<http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:8b52b54b00d21110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Lim Boon Hee, Straits Times

There is something missing in our education system and recognition of true talent. We cannot see the wood for the trees.

*** Temasek Accountable To Govt On Portfolio Basis
<http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:5e92b54b00d21110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Laurence Lien, Ministry of Finance, Straits Times

Temasek invests in a broad range of assets to diversify risk and achieve good returns on the portfolio as a whole. It accepts that some investments will do well while others may fail. What is important is that the portfolio asa whole dleivers creditable and sustained returns.

[Entertainment]

*** Dempsey Road Is Reborn As Cool Jungle Retreat: Singapore Dining
<http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601088&sid=axNnEuYsfdUw&refer=home>
Grant Clark, Bloomberg

When they are thinking of upgrading at Samy's, a Singapore institution that's served fish-head curry and dollops of spicy food on banana leaves since 1970, it's a sign that long-neglected Dempsey Road area is heading upmarket.