[MyAppleMenu] Mar 6, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Mar 6 13:15:01 EST 2007

*** Apple Updates iTunes For AppleTV But Not Vista
<http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/03/06/apple_updates_itunes/>
Tony Smith, Reg Hardware

Windows Vista users hoping the new release provides the promised support for Microsoft's latest operating sytem will be disappointed: Apple is still listing the app as an XP-only affair.

*** Intel Chief Sings iPhone's Praises
<http://www.itweek.co.uk/vnunet/news/2184773/intel-chief-sings-iphone>
Tom Sanders, vnunet.com

Apple's iPhone is forcing a new wave of mobile device innovation and validates the speriority of Unix-like systems on mobile devices over Windows, claimed Intel chief executive Paul Otellini.

*** Google/Apple Working On More 'New Things'
<http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7bCB371615-9828-4D12-8040-B64CDBB47560%7d&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo>
Ben Charny, MarketWatch

"We have similar goals, similar competitors."

*** Airport Extreme Does Seinfeldian DHCP Reservations
<http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/03/05/airport-extreme-does-seinfeldian-dhcp-reservations>
Iljitsch van Beijnum, Ars Technica

It's possible for another computer to get the reserved address first.

*** Apple Updates iTunes And QuickTime
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/03/05/itunesquicktime/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

iTunes 7.1 appears to add additional support for the upcoming release of Apple TV, which is due out later this month.

*** Memo: Microsoft Threatened To Shut Down Mac Office In '97
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/03/05/macoffice/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

Microsoft threatened to dump the Macintosh version of Office 10 years ago during talks with Apple because the mvoe would "do a great deal of harm" to its rival, according to a memo made public in a recently-settled antitrust case.

*** Adobe To Announce Creative Suite 3 Marh 27
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/03/05/cs3/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

While the announcement is being made this month, Adobe said the product would not ship until later this spring.

*** Chronos Releases SOHO Notes 5.7
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/03/05/soho/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

*** Doubts Raised Over Motorola, Apple AIDS Charity Campaign
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/05/red_charity_concerns/>
Chris Williams, The Register

According to Advertising Age, as much as $100m splurged on advertising Red products by Gap, Motorola and Apple has returned just $18m to the Global Fund.

[Opinion]

*** Steve Jobs, Spymaster
<http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,72877-0.html?tw=rss.index>
Leander Kahney, Wired News

It's true that Jobs is very secretive -- but he certainly doesn't play devious spy games.

*** Show Me
<http://daringfireball.net/2007/03/show_me>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

It's always been about missing facts. Explaining what we don't know, rather than what we know.

*** Making The Move To Mac
<http://dan.rode.org/2007/03/05/making-the-move-to-mac/>
A Path Less Travelled

The most notable thing is what's missing. I don't see any wizards, the OS asks very few questions and it just seems to always know the right thing to do with little user input.

*** Three Years Of Using A Mac (Was The AppleCare Worth It?)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2007/03/three_years_of_using_a_mac_was.html>
Matthew Russell, O'Reilly Mac DevCenter Blog

Sure, I could have saved a few dollars by having a 3rd party perform this most recent repair, but what about the peace of mind over this three year period?

*** Steve Jobs' Bad Bet
<http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/03/19/8402325/index.htm?postversion=2007030510>
Geoff Colvin, Fortune

The great seer of tech trends had no idea what was coming -- indeed, no idea how much his company, or he himself, was really worth.

[Review]

*** 24-inch iMac Is Nearly Perfect
<http://washingtontimes.com/technology/20070305-100107-4417r.htm>
Mark Kellner, Washington Times

For those who need, or just want, something that'll look good and work great for a good long while, it's going to be tough to beat this 24-inch wonder -- or even to come close.

[Sidetrack]

*** Slow News Days
Heng-Cheong Leong

There's an announcement <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/03/05/cs3/index.php?lsrc=mwrss> about there being going to be an announcement. There's another announcement <http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7bCB371615-9828-4D12-8040-B64CDBB47560%7d&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo> about there may be more announcements.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother. :-)

*** Microsoft Attacks Google OnCopyright
<http://www.ft.com/cms/s/3109938c-cb61-11db-b436-000b5df10621.html>
John Gapper, Financial Times

Microsoft on Tuesday launches a fierce attack on Google over its "cavalier" approach to copyright, accusing the internet company of exploiting books, music, films and television programmes without permission.

[Tech & Science]

*** Why Is A Minute Divided Into 60 Seconds, An Hour Into 60 Minutes, Yet There Are Only 24 Hours In A Day?
<http://www.sciam.com/askexpert_question.cfm?articleID=231B40A6-E7F2-99DF-3EC857EC9DB18A45&ref=rss>
Michael A. Lombardi, Scientific American

Thanks to the ancient civilizations that defined and preserved the division of time.

[Life]

*** The New Disorder
<http://www.newyorker.com/critics/atlarge/articles/070305crat_atlarge_denby>
David Denby, New Yorker

Adventures in film narrative.

*** He Runs That Mickey Mouse Outfit
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/04/movies/04hols.html?ei=5090&en=ef352800b0d761b9&ex=1330664400&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all>
Laura M. Holson, New York Times

A Hollywood outsider whose independent shop popularized computer animation, Mr Lasseter might seem an odd fit for a studio built on old-school cartoons and the mythology of Snow White and Cinderella. But since Pixar was acquired, Mr. Lasseter has been heralded as a latter-day Walt Disney, a cultural arbiter who can rekindle the spirit of Disney's famous animation at its theme parks, on store shelves and in a theater near you.

*** Going Native In The Australia Outback
<http://www.slate.com/id/2161053/entry/2161054/fr/rss/>
Rolf Potts, Slate

I have resolved to spend the next week looking for a meaningful experience of Australian aboriginal culture.

[Expressions]

*** History Of A Disturbance
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/articles/070305fi_fiction_millhauser>
Steven Millhauser, New Yorker

*** The Gaijin In The Teachers' Room In December
<http://www.slate.com/id/2158514/fr/rss/>
Freeman Rogers, Slate

Freeman Rogers works as a reporter in the British Virgin Islands.

[Ramblings]

*** 2nd Toronto Singapore Film Festival
Heng-Cheong Leong

If you are interested in some of the lesser known Singapore films, even for many Singaporeans, and if you are in Toronoto, here's <http://www.tsff.org/joomla/index.php> a film festival that you might want to attend.

[News]

*** Evacuees At Hong Leong Building Experience Dizziness, Vomiting
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/262327/1/.html>
Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia

Most of such complaints came from those working at the higher levels of the 44-storey building.

*** Thailand TV Station Taken Over
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6422061.stm>
BBC News

The Thai government has announced that it will take over the country's only main independent TV station, iTV, after it failed to pay unpaid fees. The station was once owned by ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra, who sold it to Singapore-based firm Temasek in 2006.

*** Singaore, Malaysia Leaders To Hold Summit In Sign Of Improving Bilateral Ties
<http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/03/06/asia/AS-GEN-Singapore-Malaysia.php>
Associated Press

The current leaders of Singapore and Malaysia will hold their first informal summit meeting later this year, a sign that bilateral relations are improving, the city-state's foreign minister announced.

*** Singapore Seen Increasing Defence Spending Up To 6 Pct Of GDP
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_business.php?id=249927>
Bernama

Singapore is prepared to increase its defence spending of up to six per cent of Gross Domestic Product (GDP), defence minister Teo Chee Hean said. "I will not hesitate to ask for more if I feel that I need it."

*** Quake Hits Sumatra, Tremor Felt In Singapore
<http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/03/05/quake.reut/>
Reuters

*** Navy Tightens Control To Prevent Sand Smuggling To Singapore
<http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailgeneral.asp?fileid=20070305230540&irec=2>
Antara

The chief of the Western Fleet command's Sea Security Taskforce, commodore Denny Novendy, said Monday the navy had tightened control to prevent sand smuggling to Singapore. He said sand price had soared to S$50 per cubic meter in Singapore, while it was only S$6.5 when the sand exports to the neighboring country were still allowed.

*** Tremors Felt In Singapore
<http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2007/03/tremors_felt_in.html>
mr brown

*** Lapses In Handling Of Land Sales At Sentosa Cove
<http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:c8adecb963321110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Goh Chin Lian, Straits Times

Trade and industry minister Lim Hng Kiang explained that SDC set up a private firm, Sentosa Cove Private Limited, which adopted more flexible land sales practices common in the private sector. But the auditor-general found that these practices did not comply with government procedures -- which Sentosa Development Corporation has to follow as a statutory board.

[Opinion]

*** Projecting "Soft Power" But Not Going Soft
<http://singaporepatriot.blogspot.com/2007/03/projecting-soft-power-but-not-going.html>
Gerald Giam, Singapore Patriot

It is certainly heartening to note that the two ministers at the forefront of our foreign policy have emphasised the intrinsic value in rendering assistance to our neighbours, rather than solely focusing on a "balance of benefits" or quid pro quo.

*** HOTA Can Do With A Little More Compassion
<http://aaron-ng.info/blog/hota-can-do-with-a-little-more-compassion.html>
Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

I believe most people will be willing to respect the wishes of the dying person if it was explicitly expressed. Then, we won't have to deal with the tricky case of the brain dead lorry driver ever again.

*** Singaporeans Blog About Indonesian Earthquake Tremors
<http://www.globalvoicesonline.org/2007/03/06/singaporeans-blog-about-indonesian-earthquake-tremors/>
Global Voices Online

Singaporeans has an extended lunch today as tremors from the earthquake in nearby Indonesian island of Sumatra resulted in precautionary evacuation of several buildings.

*** Can We Ever Become A So-called Paris Of The East?
<http://kitana.wordpress.com/2007/03/06/can-we-ever-become-a-so-called-paris-of-the-east/>
Coffee And Cigarettes

So long as there are people who hold overly-cautious conservative views that pander to the likings of a vocal but conservative minority, Singapore may never go far in what it hopes to achieve in becoming acultural and vibrant city, yet alone a "Paris of the East."

*** GST Offsets For Poor May Not Last 19 Years
<http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:a00eecb963321110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Png Eng Huat, Straits Times

Our MPs should not take this '19 years' worth of GST offsets for the poor' too literally.

*** Ban On Nude Art Hurts Bid To Be Arts Hub
<http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:1041ecb963321110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Toh Han Shih, Straits Times

How can we expect creative ideas for art galleries and art to flourish with such bans on nude art that would be considered restrictive in many other countries?

*** Maid In Singapore
<http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.com/2007/03/devil-in-outsourcing.html>
Singapore Life And Times

While our students get sparkling results because of the many hourrs of extra lessons put in after school hours with tuition for every subject they take in school and then some others, they do not know anything else execpt to 'outsource'.

*** How To Solve The Problem Of Sand Exports
<http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/143735.html>
Mollymeek

Perhaps the ban on sand exports is not to give Singapore pressure on bilateral issues but to help Singapore solve bilateral issues with Indonesia.