[MyAppleMenu] Jun 26, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jun 26 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** iPhone's iPod Features Only Active With New 2-Year Plan <http://ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/apple-iphones-ipod-features-only-active-with-new-2-year-plan/>
by Jeremy Horwitz, iLounge

**** Can iPhone Change The Way We Live? <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/06/26/MNGMDQLP6Q1.DTL&feed=rss.business>
by Ellen Lee, San Francisco Chronicle
The iPhone won't stop global warming. It won't bring peace to the Middle East. But if it lives up to even a portion of the hype, it does have the potential to change how people interact with their cell phones, computers and each other.

**** Apple Drops Ringtone Tab From iTunes <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=639>
by Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet

**** LicenseKeeper 1.1.2 <http://www.macobserver.com/review/2007/06/26.1.shtml>
by Jeff Gamet, Mac Observer
LicenseKeeper is an invaluable tool for keeping track of thsoe vital bits of information.

**** Apple Places Full-Screen QT, ZFS, More Hidden Features In Leopard <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06/26/apple_places_full_screen_qt_zfs_more_hidden_features_in_leopard.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider
A new version of QuickTime included with Leopard will reportedly allow full-screen mode without a QuickTime Pro key, echoing teh feature added months before to iTunes. DVD Player will also see a major update with an HD options pane for Blu-Ray and HD DVD discs as well as the opportunity to add DVD cover art and change movie region support on the fly.

**** Apple Says iPhone Can Be Activated By Users At Home <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06/26/apple_says_iphone_can_be_activated_by_users_at_home.html>
by AppleInsider
Apple and AT&amp;T Inc. said Tuesday that iPhone users will be able to activate their new iPhones using Apple's popular iTunes software runnig on a PC or Mac computer in the comfort and privacy of their own home or office, without having to wait in a store while their phone is activated.

**** AT&amp;T And Apple Announce Service Plans, iTunes Activation For iPhone <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/26/atandt-and-apple-announce-service-plans-itunes-activation-for-iph/>
by David Chartier, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
The iPhone will work with any of AT&amp;T's service plans, bu tthey have put together three bundle plans that include unlimited data, Visual Voicemail (apparently /not/ included if choosing a standard plan), 200 SMS and of course, roll-over minutes and unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling.

**** Analyst Alleges iPhone Already Hitting Palm Sales <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/06/26/iphone_vs_palm/>
by Tony Smith, The Register

**** The Wrath Of Steve Jobs <http://valleywag.com/tech/peter-elkind/the-wrath-of-steve-jobs-272104.php>
by Valleywag
Don't be surprised if Fortune, the nation's premier business magazine, has to scramble to assemble coverage of the hotly anticipated cellphone device.

**** iPhone Line Has Started... 100-Hours Early <http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/iphone-line-has-started100+hours-early-272088.php>
by Gizmodo
Two dudes are already waiting in line at the NYC 5th Avenue Apple flagship store.

**** Want One Friday? It Calls For A Plan <http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-strategy26jun26,1,2653800.story?coll=la-headlines-technology>
by David Colker, Los Angeles Times
Across America, people are planning to line up for hours and even camp out overnight to be among the first to lay down $500 or $600 for the long-awaited cellphone-on-steroids from Apple Inc.
Some of the early adopters planning to be out there Friday were willing to share their strategies for iDay.

**** Steve Jobs A Controversial Visionary <http://cooltech.iafrica.com/features/142627.htm>
by AFP
Apple's founder and rejuvenator Steve Jobs has revolutionised culture; up-ended the music world and set his sites unabashedly on the "smart phone' industry.

**** Shut Out Of Service, Tech-Head Alaskans Will Need Guts To Get Hands On An iPhone <http://www.adn.com/life/story/9072643p-8988611c.html>
by Lelie Anne Jones, Anchorage Daily News

**** Daring Fireball On iPhone Exchange Support (Or Lack Thereof) <http://babygotmac.com/a/daring-fireball-on-iphone-exchange-support-or-lack-thereof/>
by BabyGotMac
The problem isn't simply email. It's collaboration.

**** Appleism Is A New Religion... <http://blog.beliefnet.com/jwalking/2007/06/appleism-kuo.html>
by David Kuo

**** I, Too Ponder The Switch <http://photomusings.wordpress.com/2007/06/25/i-too-ponder-the-switch/>
by Musings On Photography
The big win is that the hardware is just so darn well designed.

**** Importing Data Into iLife Applications <http://blog.smalldog.com/article/771/importing-data-into-ilife-applications>
by Barkings!

**** Quick Look And Excel Files <http://daringfireball.net/linked/2007/june#mon-25-excel>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
Makes me wonder whether this is finally the year Apple adds a spreadsheet to iWork.

**** Apple Basks In iPhone Buzz <http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-6193168.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news>
by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com
As iPhone Week dawns, one thing is clear: marketing is a lot easier &mdash; and cheaper &mdash; if you let other people do it for you.

**** Apple's iPhone Marketing Machine. Is It Enough? <http://www.oreillynet.com/etel/blog/2007/06/apples_iphone_marketing_machin.html>
by Aaron Huslage, O'Reilly Emerging Telephony
Apple will need to have another device available soon that requires les of carriers.

**** Arrival Of iPhones Greeted By 'Armed Guards' <http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9734100-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com

**** Connect360 3.1: Software Turns Your Xbox 360, Mac Into An Integrated Media Center <http://www.macworld.com/2007/06/reviews/connect360/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** SafariSource 1.7.1 <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2007/06/safarisource/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** The Once And Future iPHone <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/06/iphoneupdates/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld
I like new gear as much as the next guy, but I dread the notion of upgrading my phone every year. The iPod-update model should be our guide. Let's hope Apple and AT&amp;T agree.

**** Hands On With Final Cut Studio's Color <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/06/25/hands-on-with-color>
by Grover Saunders, Ars Technica
With features like motion tracking and advanced chroma keying, Color seems like a pretty amazing value to have gone from five grand to free with purchase.

**** Soundtrack Pro 2: Improved Editing And New Features Help You Sync Audio With Video <http://www.macworld.com/2007/06/reviews/soundtrack/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Kirn, Macworld
No other tool implements these combined features so elegantly, and SoundTrack Pro 2 is the only tool with this level of Final Cut Pro integration.

**** Backing Up Your Mac <http://maczealots.com/articles/backup/>
by Justin WIlliams, MacZealots
I prefer SuperDuper for backing up my entire machine to an external drive connected to my Mac, but I also recommend using a service like CrashPlan if you are storing mission critical data on your Mac.

**** Apple Stores To Offer 25 iPhone Accessories Near Launch <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06/25/apple_stores_to_offer_25_iphone_accessories_near_launch.html>
by AppleInsider
The majority of those products will likely consist of third party cases and protective gear, which are amongst the simlest for outside firms to develop given the limited xposure to the Apple handset thus far.

**** Analyst: Apple To Sell 10 Million iPods In June Quarter <http://ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/analyst-apple-to-sell-10-million-ipods-in-june-quarter/>
by Charles Starrett, iLounge

**** First Apple iPhone Shipments Arrive Stateside <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06/25/first_apple_iphone_shipments_arrive_stateside.html>
by Kasper Jade, AppleInsider

**** Arriving Friday, The iPhone Is Already Having An Impact <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003761252_iphone25.html?syndication=rss>
by Seattle Times
It's not unusual to hear industry executives, analysts and consumers talk about it as if it's been a tried-and-true product &mdash; even though only a few select testers have even used it.

**** Start-Up Bard <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19196680/site/newsweek/>
by Newsweek
New web companies in Silicon Valley aren't really launched until they're blogged in TechCrunch.

**** Billionaire Thinks In Trillions For His Computer Designs <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/26/technology/26sun.html?ref=technology>
by John Markoff, New York Times

**** Defenders Of Secrets, Unite! <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/26/books/26pott.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Motoko Rich, New York Times
While fans take endless delight in spinning their own theories, bringing Talmudic fervor to the analysis of clues dropped throughout the previous books and in interviews with Ms Rowling, they tend to oppose spoilers violently.

**** Lilacs <http://www.slate.com/id/2164499/fr/rss/>
by Peter Campion, Slate

**** Humans Have Spread Globally, And Evolved Locally <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/26/science/26human.html?ex=1340510400&en=0f5be7d7ceab0ad7&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Nicholas Wade, New York Times
Historians often assume that they need pay no attention to human evolution because the process ground to a halt in the distant past. That assumption is looking less and less secure in light of new findings based on decoding human DNA.

**** Venice <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2007/07/02/070702po_poem_longenbach>
by James Longenbach, New Yorker

**** Like A Prisoner Of Soft Words <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2007/07/02/070702po_poem_wright>
by C. D. Wright, New Yorker

**** The Mahogany Elephant <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2007/07/02/070702fi_fiction_biller>
by Maxim Biller, New Yorker

**** Drama King <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2007/06/24/svsorkin24.xml>
by Benji Wilson, Telegraph
Having broken new ground with 'The West Wing', Aaron Sorkin cemented his reputation with a show that savaged American TV. Then American TV hits back...

**** The Pixar Predicament <http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2007/06/24/the_pixar_predicament/>
by Mark Feeney, Boston Globe
How does an animation studio remain the picture of success?

**** It's Curtains For The Critics <http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/stage/theatre/article1961473.ece>
by AA Gill, The Times
Where once we had the wit of Tynan and Levin, today's theatre critics are a joyless, detached bunch. And it's not only their readers who get a raw deal &mdash; culture is suffering too.

**** Philippines Sees Closer Strategic Ties With Singapore <http://pinoypress.net/2007/06/26/philippines-sees-closer-strategic-ties-with-singapore/>
by PinoyPress

**** Singapore GIC Looks To Move Into Russia <http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2007/06/26/057.html>
by Sebastian Tong, Reuters
The property arm of the Government Investment Corp of Singapore is looking to move into Russia and Turkey but is "extremely careful" in the London office market where prices have soared.

**** Indonesian Lawmakers Reject Defence Agreement With Singapore <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/284599/1/.html>
by Sujadi Siswo, Channel NewsAsia
A hearing by the parliamentary commission on security and foreign affairs concluded that it will not ratify the agreement in its current form &mdash; citing sovereignty concerns.

**** Singapore Takes On Dengue Fever, But Victory Is Not Assured <http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/06/26/news/dengue.php>
by Wayne Arnold, Internationa Herald Tribune
If there is a silver lining to Singapore's dengue problem, it is that it has turned the island state into a global center for knowledge about the diesease.

**** Mobile Phone SMSes To Come With Adverts By 2009 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/284572/1/.html>
by Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia
"It's a service that's free for the user. They get a much better, much more engaging consumer experience at the same cost as the old SMS and with the same simplicity as the old SMS," says Anuj Khanna, CEO, Affle.
/Excuse me, what benefits do I, the customer, gets?/

**** In One Article, Straits Times Reveals How One-Sided It Can Be <http://urbanrant.blogspot.com/2007/06/in-one-article-straits-times-reveal-how.html>
by Urbanrant
It seems that our economy is zooming like a ferrari but the sound system is a mono channe stereo playing only from a single radio station.
/The Straits Times, like Fox News Channel, likes to claim its "objective" and "fair and balanced." But, like Fox News Channel, it's anything. However, the newspaper's position is very clear and transparent; we all know it's pro-PAP government./
/The solution to the problem of an echo chamber is not to demand Straits Times to report on "both sides", or be more "objective." All entities are inherently bias, and holding a strong opinion is really no big deal. The solution is in having more sources of information. Preferably another news media that is not under the direct or indirect control of Temasek and the Singapore government./
/Let a thousand flowers bloom. Let there be real conversations in the marketplace of ideas. Straits Times is fine as it is; we simply need more voices./

**** "World Premiers" That Cannot Walk Out Of Singapore <http://www.zaobao.com/fk/fk070626_513.html>
by Zhou Wenlong, Lianhe Zaobao

**** What Contribution Did You Make With Your Blog? <http://decayonnet.blogspot.com/2007/06/what-contribution-did-you-make-with.html>
by Decay On Net
Did I contributed anything? I don't know. It never occur to me that I needed to contribute anything to the new media scene.

**** Ample Alternatives, No Need For Adult-Theme TV Channel <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_132885.html>
by Amy Chua, Media Development Authority of Singapore, Straits Times
There are sufficient alternatives for adults and there is no need for an adult-theme channel on free-to-air TV.
/There is a place, I believe, for more serious programmes for free-to-air television as an alternative to mindless soap operas, idiotic game shows, and press-release-like news. And Arts Central doesn't cut it./
/In fact, nowadays, I much prefer listening to podcasts by the likes of NPR and WNYC than the programming dished out by MediaCorp./

**** Singapore's 4M Population Not Reason It's Graft-Free <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_132869.html>
by Goh Kian Huat, Straits Times
We are proud of our government's intolerance of corruption and ability to maintain a relatively low level of corruption all these years.

**** From Watchdog To Watchtower <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/196538.asp>
by Loh Chee Kong, Today
More than being the proverbial watchdog, the press must now becomes a "watchtower" as journalism come sunder siege in the changing media landscape, said one veteran Bangladeshi journalist at a conference here yesterday.
Just how far newspapers should go beyond the facts was the subject of debate among some 400 journalists and media academics at the 16th Asian Media Information and Communication Centre Annual Conference.
See Also:
Press Freedom As Seen From East And West <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_132865.html>, by Chua Hian Hou, Straits Times.

**** CPI Inches Up As Food, Transport Costs In Singapore Increase <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/196525.asp>
by Sheralyn Tay, Today
Driven by the growing costs of food, petrol and cars, inflation in Singapore hit a 10-month high in May, with the consumer price index registering a 0.4-per-cent seasonally-adjusted increase over April.

**** National Stadium Time Capsule Lost <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/196543.asp>
by Jose Raymond, Today
Three months ago, the Singapore Sports Council (SSC) hired contractors to try to locate it, but they have drawn a blank so far.

**** Said Zahari To Launch Book <http://singabloodypore.rsfblog.org/archive/2007/06/25/said-zahari-to-launch-book.html>
by Singabloodypore

**** Singapore: Strong Leaders Needed In Asia <http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/4917787.html>
by Derrick Ho, Associated Press
Asia's economies and businesses cannot thrive without strong and courageous political leadershiop, a senior Singapore cabinet minister said Monday, citing the success of China, India and his own country.
"An army of rabbits led by a lion is superior to an army of lions led by a rabbit," senior minister Goh Chok Tong told the closing session of the two-day World Economic Forum on East Asia.

**** GMA Vows To Transofrm RP <http://www.mb.com.ph/MAIN2007062696580.html>
by Genalyn D. Kabiling, Manila Bulletin
President Arroyo yesterday vowed to propel the Philippines into the same league as Singapore as she intends to follow Lion City's program against red tape and corruption to entice more investments back home.

**** Asia Economies 'Must Remain Wary' <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6236498.stm>
by BBC News
Asian policymakers must not allow today's economic stability to generate complacency, Singaporean prime minister Lee Hsien Loong has warned.