[MyAppleMenu] Jun 9, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jun 9 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** St. Phil Laptop Program COnsidered A Success <http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070609/NEWS01/706090353>
by Ryan Holland, Battle Creek Enquirer
As St. Philip Catholic Central High School freshmen begrudgingly handed in their iBooks this week, administrators, teachers and students described the first year of the laptop-per-student program as a success in progress.

**** iPhone Details From AT&amp;T's Sales Training Workbook <http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/08/iphone-details-from-atandts-sales-training-workbook/>
by Mac Rumors

**** iPhone Hype Has Gadget Geeks Camping And Drooling <http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2007/06/09/iphone_hype_has_gadget_geeks_camping_and_drooling/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Technology+stories>
by Dana Ford, Reuters
With free wireless internet, a hot dog stand and a few friends, Daniel Eran Dilger calculates he could survive for days outside a store in a dogged attempt to grab the latest must-have consumer gadget.

**** Massive Adobe Upgrade Offers Lots Of Improvements <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003740905_ptmacc09.html?syndication=rss>
by Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times
Adobe didn't just accomplish a nearly impossible software feat &mdash; coordinating even a couple of programs to work together and ship at the same time is considered rather hard &mdash; but it also managed to smooth out rough edges and improve how each program works with every other program.

**** Latest Photoshop A Trove Of Treasures <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003740899_ptgett09.html?syndication=rss>
by Linda Knapp, Seattle Times

**** Who's Afraid Of The Stevenote? Virtualization Developers Should Be <http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2007/06/whos_afraid_of_.html>
by Michael Calore, Wired
As far as Parallels and VMWare are concerned, those dirty words are "Virtualization in Boot Camp." If they are uttered during the Stevenote, the companies' young products are as good as dead.

**** Paralels 3.0 A Worthy Upgrade <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Orchant/?p=473>
by Marc Orchant, ZDNet
It's all very seamless.

**** Apple iPhone, Not Yet For Sale, Drives Stock <http://www.informationweek.com/software/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199902411&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_News>
by Reuters
Apple has not yet sold a single iPhone, but investors are driving up the company's shares to record highs as they bank that the combined telephone and media player will be a major hit.

**** Developers To Jobs: Give Me My iPhone! <http://www.forbes.com/wireless/2007/06/07/apple-iphone-developer-tech-wireless-cx_rr_0608apple.html>
by Rachel Rosmarin, Forbes
As iPhone anticipation reaches fever pitch, more than 4,000 of Apple's faithful techies are making their way to San Francisco. Where they won't get a chance to play with the must-have gadget, which won't be formally unveiled until the end of month.
/"Oh, one more thing. There's an iPhone under every seat...." "Just kidding." :-)/

**** MacBook Pro Benchmarks <http://www.macworld.com/2007/06/firstlooks/mbpbench/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by James Galbraith, Macworld
15-inch configurations show performance gains, but games test is puzzling.

**** Roz Ho Steps Down From Microsoft's Mac BU <http://www.macobserver.com/article/2007/06/08.8.shtml>
by Jeff Gamet, Mac Observer
Roz Ho, well known for her role in leading Microsoft's Macintosh Business Unit, is leaving the group after seven years to work in the company's entertainment and devices division. Craig Eisler will be taking over the reigns as Mac BU general manager.

**** Get A Mac Ads Honored As Most Effective <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/06/08/getamac/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
The Effie Awards honor the most significant achievements in the business of marketing communications, and Apple's "Get a Mac" ad campaign won the Grand Effie, the biggest award.

**** WHy A .Mac-Google Apps Integration Makes Sense <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9024099&source=rss_topic123>
by Seth Weintraub, Computerworld

**** A Patent Lie <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/09/opinion/09lee.html>
by Timothy B. Lee, New York Times
Patents are bad for the software industry. Nothing illustrates that better than the conflict between Verizon and Vonage.

**** Brave Old World <http://www.slate.com/id/2168092/fr/rss/>
by William Saletan, Slate
What dad didn't tell you about the birds and bees.

**** Land Of Plenty <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/10/books/review/Will-t.html?ex=1339128000&en=c373e26ad949e860&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by George F. Will, New York Times
Ever since mass affluence, a phenomenon without precedent in the human story, exploded upon postwar America, social and political theorists have wondered, and worried, about the moral and even the spirital consequences of material conditions. Putting scarcity behind us has been pleasant, but has it been good for us &mdash; meaning good for our souls?

**** Brave New Singapore <http://aidilomar.com/2007/06/09/brave-new-singapore/>
by Phew!

**** Kafka's Shadow <http://www.blurty.com/talkread.bml?journal=sleepless77&itemid=161258>
by Blurty.com
If I was still a teacher, I would give your letter a failing grade.
See Also:
More Evidence Of Our Absolutely Transparent And Non-Discriminatory System? <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/157766.html>, by Mollymeek.
Bureaucracy At Its Ugly Worst <http://singaporeandthestuff.blogspot.com/2007/06/bureaucracy-at-its-ugly-worst.html>, by Singapore And The Stuff.

**** Gray <http://loyolachicago.typepad.com/asia/2007/06/gray.html>
by Loyola's Blog Around The World
To me, the city turned darkly creepy. Yes the city center was nice if not a little antiseptic, but the sterility and regimentation of the surrounding neighborhoods deeply creeped me out.

**** Tempers Flaring <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/2007/6/9/columnists/insightdownsouth/17962032&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
Known for its strict law and order, Singapore has surprising witnessed a spate of unprovoked "rage" violence that could belie a sense of restlessness among its youth.

**** Singapore Falun Gong Case Goes To The Judge <http://en.epochtimes.com/news/7-6-8/56253.html>
by Epoch Times

**** Shanghai May Overtake Singapore As Busiest Port <http://www.cargonewsasia.com/secured/article.aspx?id=3&article=13178>
by CargonewsAsia.com
Shanghai aims to surpass Singapore as the world's busiest container port next year, as China's growing exports of toys, clothes and other gods boosts shipping demand.

**** Burma To Sell 50,000 Tonnes Of Sand To Singapore <http://www.mizzima.com/MizzimaNews/News/2007/June/10-June-2007.html>
by THan Htike Oo, Mizzima News
The Burmese mlitary junta is toying with the idea of selling 50,000 tonnes of sand to Singapore from the Irrawaddy RIver basin in Burma but is concerned about possible changes in the course of the river because of over excavation.

**** Why Isn't Singapore Caning Spammers? <http://www.networkworld.com/community/?q=node/16037>
by Paul McNamara, Network World
Now doesn't that seem about righ for a spammer? I mean if you believe in that sort of thing? And you live in a country where it's considered perfectly civilized?

**** SIngapore Bids To Attract More Malaysian Tourists <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=266477>
by Yai Ban King, Bernama
With discounts of up to 70 per cent at almost all its major shopping cntres and a campaign that allows Malaysians to pay half price at many of the government-sponsored tourism sites, the Singapore Tourism Board must have gone into overdrive to attract Malaysians during the mid-term holiday season that will come to an end on Sunday.

**** Nets Defends Fee Hike On Its Website <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_127543.html>
by Lim Wei Chean, Straits Times
Stung by the negative publicity it has been getting it has been getting over its impending fee hike, Nets yesterday launched a defence of its decision on its website.
It published a '10 Frequently Asked Question' segment which assured consumers that retailers were not allowed to pass on the merchants' transaction fee to them.

**** Consider Social, Environmental Factors When Comparing Singapore's MRT System With Those In Other Countries <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_127235.html>
by Noelle Tang, SMRT Corporation, Straits Times

**** Universities Should Give Singaporeans Priority <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_127579.html>
by Ong Tong It, Straits Times
We have been inviting and giving scholarships to foreign students to shore up our pool of talent when actually we have a pool of our own talent which can and should be developed.

**** A Tale Of Two Bankrupts <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/157505.html>
by Mollymeek
Perhaps it is precisely because there is so much transparency and freedom in the country that even Mr. Yong had become transparent and managed to slip past the immigration officers.