[MyAppleMenu] Jan 4, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jan 4 13:15:01 EST 2007

*** Apple Financials Confirm Four-Fold Growth
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=16840>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

Apple's net sales climbed almost 400 per cent in five years, financial statements reveal.

*** Apple In 2007 - The Only Way Is Up
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=16838>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

Leopard, new Macs, iPods and mobile phone will generate bumper Apple corp, an analyst explains.

*** The Good, The Bad Of Bug Campaigns
<http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-6147026.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news>
Joris Evers, CNET News.com

A third monthlong parade of security flaw release has kicked off, this time focused on Macs. But some are questioning the purpose of such campaigns.

*** Is Steve Jobs Untouchable?
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2007/tc20070104_659422.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_businessweek+exclusives>
Peter Burrows, BusinessWeek

An internal inquiry gives him a pass in Apple's backdating scandal -- but raises questions about whether he's getting special treatment.

*** Adobe Brings Premiere Back To The Mac
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/01/03/premiere/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

Adobe will announce on Thursday that it will revive a Mac version of Premiere, the software maker's video program aimed at professional editors. The new Mac version will only run on Intel-based Macs and will be part of a larger Adobe Production Studio suite that will include Adobe Encore DVD and Adobe Soundbooth.

*** Monkey Business
<http://www.apple.com/business/profiles/paulfrank/>
David Levy, Apple

*** Catch The Next Chapter On Your iPod (It's Even Cheaper)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/04/books/04audio.html?ex=1325566800&en=aa5a53499f96d332&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Andrew Adam Newman, New York Times

Unlike onscreen e-books, which never quite caught on, downloadable audiobooks have taken off, driven by the explosive popularity of the iPod.

*** Mac Desktop Sales Slump, Portable Mac Sales Skyrocket
<http://www.techweb.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=196800758>
Gregg Keizer, TechWeb

*** WriteRoom 2.0 Released For Your Attention Deficit
<http://www.macuser.com/software/writeroom_20_released_for_your.php?lsrc=murss>
Pat Nakajima, MacUser

Additions include a new live word count, support for standard file formats, and more flexible display options.

*** 2007: The Year In Preview
<http://www.macworld.com/2007/01/features/2007pre/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Macworld

Predictions for what to expect from the coming year.

*** 2007: The Reader's Predictions
<http://www.macworld.com/2007/01/features/2007readers/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Macworld

[Opinion]

*** What Jobs Told Me On The iPhone
<http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,1981815,00.html>
David Sobotta, The Guardian

Steve's ability to know where consumers and technology will intersect often creates a road paved in gold. That's why he'll focus his energy on mobiles.

*** How Apple Might Wangle Wi-Fi Into Its iTV
<http://news.com.com/2061-10793_3-6146832.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news>
Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com

*** Good Sites For Creative Professionals
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/creative/2007/01/creative-guy-roundup/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
James Dempsey, Macworld

[Review]

*** The 24" iMac: A Quick, Subjective Review
<http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/01/the_24_imac_a_q.html>
Rob Beschizza, Wired News

The 24" iMac is splendid, particularly in those areas that are easy to take for granted until you actually see it in person: the all-in-one form factor and the expansive LCD panel just do it for me, and will do it for anyone else who has similar pretnetions to the simple and straighforward.

[Sidetrack]

*** Things To Try On A Rainy Afternoon
Heng-Cheong Leong

I don't have an Intel Mac, so I can't enjoy the best of both worlds (Mac OS X + Windows) on one machine. Therefore, I tried to next best thing: running VNC Server on my iBook, and connecting via my Windows laptop.

Turns out that the speed is simply too slow. I'm still using the old original AirPort (802.11b), so that may well be the bottleneck.

No, I'm not upgrading to the new AirPort Extreme just do try this trick again. I, like almost everyone else out there, am eagerly awaiting the Steve Keynote next week, to see if I will part with my hard-earned money.

*** New Disc May Sway DVD Wars
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/04/technology/04video.html>
Richard Siklos, New York Times

Warner Brothers, which helped opularize the DVD more than a decade ago, plans to announce next week a single videodisc that can play films and television programs in both Blu-ray and HD-DVD, the rival DVD technologies.

*** When The Internet Fails, It's Sink Or Swim
<http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/03/business/ptend04.php>
Victoria Shannon, International Herald Tribune

When the great internet meltdown struck Asia last week, many resourceful and knowledgeable computer users devised homegrown work-arounds to avoid the painfully slow crawl that characterized connections in its wake.

*** $100 Laptop Project Launches 2007
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6224183.stm>
BBC News

The first batch of computers built for the One Laptop Per Child project could reach users by July this year.

*** Protecting Internet Democracy
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/03/opinion/03wed1.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
New York Times

*** Why Hawks Win
<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3660>
Daniel Kahneman, Jonathan Renshon, Foreign Policy

Why are hawks so influential? The answer may lie deep in the human mind. People have dozens of decision-making biases, and almost all favor conflict rather than concession. A look at why the tough guys win more than they should.

*** And You Thought Snow Globes Were Harmless Decorations
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/02/business/02road.html?ex=1325394000&en=37df618adc847aaf&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Joe Sharkey, New York Times

To paraphrase a classic line from Lily Tomlin, I worry that the person who thought up the rules for carrying liquids and gels on airplanes last year is busy thinking up something new this year.

[Ramblings]

*** The Danger Of Blind Trust
Heng-Cheong Leong

Grace Cheah Gek Neo <http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:9e1bde30129ef010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>, writing in Striats Times: I do not think that it is justified to press the Housing Board for its land and construction costs or doubt its word that the flats are subsidised.

Blind trust is always dangerous. More transparency is always good for everyone. Remember, HDB is using public mony; it is not a private coopration, whether it is or not for-profit.

[News]

*** A Better Economy Means Bigger Flats For Singaporeans
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/163956.asp>
Lee Ching Wern, Today

The downgrading bug has subsided -- Singaporeans are moving on to bigger flats, in line with an improved economy, said analysts.

[Opinion]

*** Causeway Immigration Officers Pleasant, Cheerful
<http://www.malaysiakini.com/letters/61667>
Malaysiakini

The Singpaore immigration officers were not helpful at all. A call to their 'help line' was a disaster.

*** High Level Of Police Efficiency In Singapore!
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2007/01/high-level-of-police-efficiency-in.html>
Diary Of A Singapore Mind

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>