[MyAppleMenu] Feb 25, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Feb 25 13:15:01 EST 2007

*** Wilkes University Goes All-Mac
<http://www.thebizofknowledge.com/2007/02/wilkes_university_goes_allmac.html>
Bill Belew, The Biz of Knowledge

One goal is to create a virtually virus-free IT network.

*** Europe's Apple Attack
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17313123/site/newsweek/?from=rss>
John D. Sparks, Newsweek

There are few legal parallels between the Microsoft and Apple cases. But both reflect Europe's deep anxiety about its lack of clout in the digital world.

[Opinion]

*** My First Mac Problem
<http://www.crunchnotes.com/?p=360>
CrunchNotes

Turns out Mac Minis are notoriously bad at playing nicely with TVs through a DVI connection. This surprised me given how many people I know have connected a Mac Mini to their living room televisions.

*** The Apple Experience
<http://blog.1530technologies.com/2007/02/the_apple_exper.html>
Memoirs Of A Bystander

You really don't appreciate the whole "Apple Experience" until you experience an amateurish attempt by some other company.

*** A Visit To Apple
<http://googlemac.blogspot.com/2007/02/visit-to-apple.html>
Scott Knaster, Google Mac Blog

And so, a gang of new Mac fans at Google visited Apple and became full on converts.

[Sidetrack]

*** Beware Of Giving Something As Cool As An iPod
Heng-Cheong Leong

As Wendy Donahue <http://www.chicagotribune.com/technology/chi-0702250489feb25,1,4548185.story?coll=chi-technology-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true> found out, when she gave her husband an iPod Nano and Nike+iPod sport kit for their wedding anniversay, she "never dreamed he'd use them to impress other women." :-)

*** That Error Condition Will Never Happen, Or Why Writing Bug-Free Software Can Be Hard
Heng-Cheong Leong

From Hugh Thompson <http://blogs.csoonline.com/node/151>, here's an account of how he managed to crash an entire in-flight entertainment system with Tetris.

*** Millions Of Videos, And Now A Way To Search Inside Them
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/25/business/yourmoney/25slip.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
Jason Pontin, New York Times

*** Crouching Tiger, Hidden Agenda
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/25/magazine/25Style.China.t.html?ex=1330059600&en=1c8cb66aa63f99db&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Francesco Bonami, New York Times

The word on Chinese art right now is "Buy!" but I'm not convinced that we Westerners really understand what's going on there.

*** No Problem If Temasek Sells Shin Statellite, Says George Yeo
<http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:31f52a7fd24f0110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Straits Times

Foreign Minister George Yeo does not think that it would be a problem if Temasek Holdings decides to divest Shin Satellite, Thailand's only satellite operator -- as long as it is a commercial transaction between willing parties.

*** Singapore Lawmakers Show Off Dance Moves
<http://www.boston.com/news/world/asia/articles/2007/02/24/singapore_lawmakers_show_off_dance_moves/>
Derrick Ho, Associated Press

Clad in military-style pants, bright T-shirts and dangling chains, 12 Singapore lawmakers grooved to hip-hop music in the city-state's largest annual street parade Saturday, part of the ruling party's efforts to ditch its authoritarian and conservative image.

[Opinion]

*** "I Want The World To Know How I Die."
<http://kitana.wordpress.com/2007/02/24/i-want-the-world-to-know-how-i-die/>
Coffee And Cigarettes

*** Give Them Something To Own, But Not Too Much
<http://onthereddot.com/ian/2007/02/25/give-them-something-to-own-but-not-too-much/>
Wanderings, Musings And Happens From Ian On Singapore

And so, give the people enough such that they won't play punk in their own country, but not too much so they can leave this country.