[MyAppleMenu] Feb 23, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Feb 23 13:15:01 EST 2007

*** Apple iPod Shuffle Wins Design Week Award
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=17306>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

"The shuffle is a simple, beautifully executed concept with minimal, re-useable packaging that is fantastic value for money."

*** Apple Files For Objective-C Trademark
<http://www.macnn.com/blogs/?p=268>
MacNN

*** Apple Announces Six WWDC Session Tracks
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/02/22/wwdc/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Mathew Honan, Macworld

Sessions at Apple's annual developer conference will cover everything from the features in OS X 10.5 to tools designed to help deveopers take advantage of Apple's latest technologies.

*** Wanted: An Apple Security Expert
<http://news.com.com/2061-10789_3-6161552.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news>
Robert Vamosi, CNET News.com

*** Microsoft Tells Some Users No On Vista
<http://news.wired.com/dynamic/stories/M/MICROSOFT_VIRTUAL_VISTA?SITE=WIRE&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT>
Brian Bergstein, Associated Press

Microsoft's Scott Woodgate, a director in Microsoft's Vista team, insisted that the ban on virtualisation was not a marketing decision. "We are absolutely working with our partners to resolve this security issue," he said.

*** New Storage Service Targets iTunes Users
<http://news.com.com/2061-10793_3-6161527.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news>
Greg Sandoval, CNET News.com

Terene Pua is offering to backup music, videos and other media for Mac owners for an introdutory price of $69 a year.

*** Analyst Suggests 'Solid Quarter' For Apple
<http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/story.aspx?guid=%7B45E1F3A5%2D61F9%2D47AB%2DAB7B%2D235E8B0C4EEB%7D&dist=rss>
Matt Andrejczak, MarketWatch

Apple should benefit from stronger sales of its Macintosh computer products and lower component costs for its Macs and iPods, according to Prudential Equity Group, which Wednesday lifted its earnings estimate on Apple for the current quarter.

*** MarsEdit Blogging Software Changes Hands
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/02/22/marsedit/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

Red Sweater Software announced Thursday that it has acquired MarsEdit, the Mac OS X weblog publishing software originally created by Brent Smmons, creator of NetNewsWire.

*** Stem E-Mail Overload
<http://www.macworld.com/2007/02/features/clutter3/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Joe Kissell, Macworld

Strategies for keeping your inbox under control.

[Opinion]

*** A Requiem For An iPod
<http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/archives/2007/02/23/opinion/17446.shtml>
Avi Flamholz, Daily Princetonian

In return for all her bounty, iPod had demanded of me a certain moral dexterity that even I, a child of the digital generation, would never have anticipated.

*** Great Apple Service
<http://www.accmanpro.com/2007/02/23/great-apple-service/>
Dennis Howlett, AccMan

Name me any company, anywhere, in any industry that has this kind of impact on ordinary people?

*** It Is Time For The Distinction Between Mac Software And PC Software To Go Away
<http://www.aquick.org/blog/2007/02/21/it-is-time-for-the-distinction-between-mac-software-and-pc-software-to-go-away/>
Adam Fields

Where you're making a Mac and Windows version of the same software available and currently require two separate licenses, collapse and simplify.

*** Steve Jobs' iTunes Dance
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2007/02/23/itunes/index_np.html?source=rss>
Cory Doctorow, Salon

Now that Apple CEO says he would gladly sell songs without digital restrictions, if the record companies let him. That's hardly a brave definance, and besides, I don't believe him.

*** Would Apple Mix DRM And Non-DRM Music At The iTunes Store?
<http://daringfireball.net/2007/02/drm_and_non_drm_music>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

Apple could still sell everything under the same terms: that you're allowed to play downloads on up to five computers. It's just that with the DRM-free music, there'd be nothing in place to enforce the policy.

*** Steve Jobs Should Blog, Part II
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2007/02/steve_jobs_shou.html?campaign_id=rss_blog_byteoftheapple>
Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek

He has a lot of interesting things to say on topics more far-reaching than just what's cool about the next version of the Mac OS or the iPod. How about it Steve?

*** iTunes Store And The Import Of Apple Lossless
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2007/02/storelossless/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

Given the kind of music that sells large at the iTunes Store, is it any wonder that Apple hasn't rushed to issue Apple Lossless versions of its inventory?

[Review]

*** Toast 8 Titanium
<http://www.macworld.com/2007/02/reviews/toast8/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

This program has dozens of enhancements and improvements under the hood. With Blu-ray support, TiVoToGo, enhancements, interface streaming, and feature improvements galore, Toast 8 Titanium is the best value Roxio has offered in years.

[Sidetrack]

*** Mobile Mac? Any Mac That Has A Battery
Heng-Cheong Leong

I don't know why many people are thinking that Mobile Mac <http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0702mobilemac.html> is a new product category for Apple, but I'll classify all the MacBooks, MacBooks Pro, and iPhone to be mobile Macs. And I strongly believe that the iPod is going to be a mobile Mac too.

Both the OS and iPod teams at Apple are probably all tied up doing furious work for the iPhone, so I'm not expecting any new product categories from Apple this year.

*** Microsoft Tests "Pay-As-You-Go" Software
<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070222-8907.html>
Jeremy Reimer, Ars Technica

Microsoft has been quietly testing a new "pay-as-you-go" software rental service in South Africa, Mexico, and Romania. The service allows users to pay a monthly fee of around $15 for the use of Office 2003.

[Tech & Science]

*** For The First Time, Chimps Seen Making Weapons For Hunting
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/22/AR2007022201007.html>
Rick Weiss, Washington Post

Chimpanzees living in the West African savannah have been observed fashioning deadly spears from sticks and using the tools to hunt small mammals -- the first routine production of deadly weapons ever observed in animals other than humans.

[Life]

*** Mom's Mad. And She's Organized.
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/22/fashion/22mothers.html?ex=1329800400&en=43a51efba6f83bbe&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Kara Jesella, New York Times

A generation of mothers who are largely perceived as postfeminist in every way, from sex to economic discrimination, has begun a consciousness-raising that is almost old-fashioned were it not for the technology involved.

[Ramblings]

*** Start Your Whine
Heng-Cheong Leong

Remember all that whining on Straits Times' Forum Page about the bus lane prevented cars from driving into Oldham Lane from Orchard Road safely?

This <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/260267/1/.html>, the banning of vehicles from entering Oldham Lane from Orchard Road, is the perfect solution.

[News]

*** Problems With Indonesia And Thailand Not Big: George Yeo
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/260293/1/.html>
Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia

"There problems are, on the whole, not large and I think they can be managed. At the people-to-people level, our overall relations with Thailand and Indonesia are very good."

*** No Plan To Review Singapore's Use Of Airforce Base; PM
<http://nationmultimedia.com/2007/02/23/headlines/headlines_30027696.php>
The Nation

The government has no plan to review Singapore's use of an airforce base in Udon Thani, Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said Friday.

*** Protest Against Singapore Escalates To Airbase
<http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/topstories.php?id=117007>
Veera Prateepchaikul, Bangkok Post

The protest against Singapore's use of the airbase represented what was seen as growing nationalistic sentiments among quite a few Thais against the island state following the Shin-Temasek telecommunications deal.

*** Singapore's Inflation Unexepctedly Slows On Oil Costs
<http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=ataWVCKZyawA&refer=home>
Shamim Adam, Bloomberg

Singapore's inflation rate unexpectedly slowed to an 18-month low in January as easing oil and car prices offset higher food costs that were a result of floods in neighboring Malaysia.

*** RI May Let Third Party Join Singapore Training
<http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailheadlines.asp?fileid=20070223.A09&irec=8>
Abdul Khalik, Jarkarta Post

In an effort to avoid a deadlock in its negotiations on a defense cooperation agreement with Singapore, Indonesia will likely allow Singapore to bring a third party to its military training exercises on Indonesian territory, the country's chief negotiator says.

*** Overseas Singaporeans Share Their Gripes
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/173554.asp>
Loh Chee Kong, Today

During the Q&A, there had been no ready answers to several bugbears raisd by the participants.

*** Thailand To Poll Public On Buyback
<http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/feb2007/gb20070222_602470.htm?campaign_id=rss_as>
Associated Press

The government wants to find out if citizens support the retaking of a telecom company now controlled by a Singapore investment group.

[Opinion]

*** Best And Brightest, But From Where?
<http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/140820.html>
Mollymeek

The ideal is nothing bad, but the means of attempting to realize the ideal are questionable.

*** Of Race, Religion And Holidays
<http://jollypuddle.com/?p=436>
Flying Low

What I feel the public holidays in Singpaore reflect is our society's tendency to confuse race and religion.

*** The Certainty Of Being Uncertain
<http://zyberzitizen.wordpress.com/2007/02/22/the-certainty-of-being-uncertain/>
Zyberzitizen

It is ironic that while we happily and proudly announce to the world our high GDP growth and our record-breaking bull run in the stock market, record jobs created and so on, it is those who have worked the hardest in earlier days who are now the ones facing the most dire consequences.

*** Singapore's Moral Obligation
<http://www.thejakartapost.com/detaileditorial.asp?fileid=20070223.C05&irec=4>
Zaki Hammaad, Jarkarta Post

I'm sure Singapore can afford to buy sand from other places at a permium price with the $30 billion it is "safekeeping" for the Indonesian criminals that are living the high-life in Singapore.

*** Green With Envy Over A Red Dot
<http://www.asianewsnet.net/columnist.php?aid=8076>
Janadas Devan, Straits Times

Nationalism -- and its ugly cousin, envy -- are the mirror-images of anti-globalisation. So long as Singapore remains committed to globalisation, it will remain the object of accuation and blame. Till the region as a whole decides to accept the logic of globalisation, this is the price Singapore will have to pay.

*** More Residents Working For An Income That Has Not Changed For 10 Years
<http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=f832758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:b81b9a6c70ae0110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Leong Sze Hian, Straits Times

Income growth may have been negative, after adjusting for inflation.

*** Provide More Details On Singapore Competitiveness
<http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:90519a6c70ae0110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Bin Hee Heng, Straits Times

Over the years, many multinational companies have relocated their investments from Singapore to China -- though its position on the WCS was 31st in 2005 and 19th last year and its tax rate higher.

[Entertainment]

*** Singapore Fling
<http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,21269416-17102,00.html>
John Wright, The Courier Mail

Here are some suggestions for a weekend in Singapore that will give you a good idea of the place without tiring you out. I concentrated more on walking, sightseeing and eating than on shopping.