[MyAppleMenu] Feb 13, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Feb 13 13:15:02 EST 2007

*** Beatles Ready For Legal Downloading Soon
<http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,251410,00.html>
Roger Friedman, Fox News

"It will be on all the services, not just one."

*** Apple Denies Apple TV Delay Rumors
<http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2174702/apple-brushes-tv-delay-rumors>
Shaun Nichols, vnunet.com

"We're still planning to release Apple TV in February, as announced," a spokeswoman for Apple said.

*** Unplugging An iPod: Harder Than It Should Be
<http://www.ipodobserver.com/story/30286>
John Martellaro, iPodObserver

Apple has proposed a mechanism for validating the connection between two divices and leaving the iPod unmounted unless there is a communication in progress.

*** Lionsgate Signs Up With iTunes For Movie Deal
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2007/02/12/lionsgate/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Playlist

Lionsgate and Apple announced a distribution deal that will see the iTunes Store expand its catalog of online movies by more than 150 titles in February, including hits like "Terminator 2."

[Opinion]

*** A Windows Kinda Guy Does A Mac Kinda Thing
<http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4548538.html>
Dwight Silverman, Houston Chronicle

I've not seen anything that is as friendly as Parallels Desktop for Mac.

*** That Web Look
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6343789.stm>
BBC News

Youf eel that a typically British sarcastic barb or aside is just around the corner, as if it was a sketch.

*** Filtering Out iPhone Speculation
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/02/12/iphonecoverage/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

To add some measure of a reality check to all this iPhone pondering, we're taking a closer look at some of the more frequently asserted opinions to see which ones provide more noise than signal.

*** Command, Option, Control
<http://daringfireball.net/2007/02/command_option_control>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

The problem from the music industry's perspective is their technically ludicrous pipe dream of devising a scheme that forces everyone to pay for every single song they play. They obsess over pirates while taking their honest customers for granted.

[Review]

*** FinanceToGo 1.1: Financial Application Offers Alternative To Established Accounting Programs
<http://www.macworld.com/2007/02/reviews/financetogo/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jeffery Battersby, Macworld

While it appears that FastForward Software will aggressively update this application, there are several other programs on the market that offer more features and functionality for the same or only slightly more money.

[World]

*** What The West Can Learn From Islam
<http://chronicle.com/temp/reprint.php?id=mk4phhfw6qh399ql5g40d24l0j9vpq99>
Tariq Ramadan, Chronicle Of Higher Education

The muffling of critical opinion should be of immediate concern to all freethinking individuals. To accept such a state of affairs is to accept that the United States, in the name of the "global war on terror" and national security, requires all citizens to think the same way.

[Tech & Science]

*** Faces, Faces Everywhere
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/13/health/psychology/13face.html?ei=5088&en=22178cffdfe2d708&ex=1329022800&adxnnl=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1171343631-F8AU9SFX3ITJ6elTRvEPNg>
Elizabeth Svoboda, New York Times

Why do we see faces everywhere we look? Compelling answers are beginning to emerge from biologists and computer scientists who are gaining new insights into how the brain recognizes and processes facial data.

[Life]

*** Flashy Libraries? I Prefer To Get My Adventure Out Of The Books Not The Building
<http://arts.guardian.co.uk/art/visualart/story/0,,2010978,00.html>
Germaine Greer, The Guardian

I like my libraries stable, durable, serene. I am looking for adventure in the books, rather than in the building.

[Expressions]

*** Lightning Stirke In Paradise
<http://www.slate.com/id/2158511/fr/rss/>
Andrew Hudgins, Slate

Andrew Hudgins teaches at the University of Cincinnati. His most recent book of poems is Babylon in a Jar.

*** Thai Govt Evaluating Singapore's Gestures: FM
<http://nationmultimedia.com/2007/02/13/headlines/headlines_30026742.php>
The Nation

The Thai government is assessing Singapore's latest gestures following the ousted prime minister's visit to the island state, foreign minister Nitya Pibulsonggram said Tuesday.

*** Budget Carriers Eye Malaysian Cities As Air Links May Liberalise By 2008
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/258283/1/.html>
Dominique Loh, Channel NewsAsia

Though details of the proposed liberalisation have yet to be announced, budget carriers are already eyeing certain destinations in malaysia.

*** Singapore's Economy Probably Expanded At Fastest Pace In A Year
<http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aVsCQ_DOpwrw>
Shamim Adam, Bloomberg

Singapore's economy probably expanded in the fourth quarter at the fastest pace in a year as surging drugs production and increased consumer spending helped offset slower electronics manufacturing and exports.

*** No Bubble In Property Market: Mah
<http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:296cba04047b0110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Li Xueying, Straits Times

"I guess if you look purely at the number of sub-sales, I will say that there is no cause for concern at the moment." Still the government is "monitoring the situation and making sure that the property market stays healthy," he said.

*** Indonesia, Singapore Disagree Over Extradition, Defense Treaties
<http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailheadlines.asp?fileid=20070212.A07&irec=6>
Abdul Khalik, Jarkarta Post

The signing of a long-awaited exradition treaty with Singapore is being delayed by arguments over whether it can be signed at the same time as a defense treaty.

*** Phone Tapping Claim 'Absurd'
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/2/13/asia/16860923&sec=asia>
Associated Press

Singapore denied it was listening in on Thai military conversations through a telecommunications company it bought last year and yesterday called the accusation "absurd."

*** Spam Control Bill Tabled In Parliament
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/258142/1/.html>
Margaret Perry, Channel NewsAsia

The Spam Control Bill, tabled in Parliament on Monday, will make it an offence for companies to send out bulk advertisements or offers to people who have not previously agreed to receive them.

[Opinion]

*** Locking Out Liberalisation
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/171649.asp>
Burton Ong, Today

Will the postage savings enjoyed by residents, as a result of rigorous price competition between basic mail service providers, be eroded by higher conservancy fees arising from the junk mail problem?

*** Let's Not Be Insular
<http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/columnists/2007/2/11/onthebeat/16839500&sec=On%20The%20Beat>
Wong Chun Wai, The Star

Johor needs Singapore as much as the city-state needs Johor.