[MyAppleMenu] Feb 11, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Feb 11 13:15:01 EST 2007

*** Sneak Preview Of Europe's Internet Video Market
<http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/02/11/business/video12.php>
Doreen Carvajal, International Herald Tribune

Apple's expected entry into online video in Europe has TV broadcasters bracing for advantage.

*** Xbox 360 Nixes AirPort Security
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=17177>
Macworld UK

Despite being based on semi-officially endorsed standards, Apple's new AirPort Extreme Base Station isn't properly supported by Microsoft's Xbox 360.

*** The Buzz On The Beats
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/10/AR2007021000007.html?nav=rss_technology>
Washington Post

The debate resonated throughout the blogosphere.

[Wintel]

*** Vista's Successor, Longhorn Deja Vu?
<http://www.wordyard.com/2007/02/10/vista-successor/>
Scott Rosenberg, Wordyard

To me it all sounds like: "We're going to do big, big things, but we don't know exactly what they are yet."

*** Biting Words On Apple Come Back To Haunt Dell
<http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/16669692.htm>
Rachel Beck, Associated Press

Michael Dell offered up some harsh advice a decade ago on how to fix struggling Apple Computer, words that now provide an ironic sting for the newly minted CEO of his own slumping company.

*** The Next Big Language
<http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2007/02/next-big-language.html>
Stevey's Blog Rants

If you want to spare yourself a lot of angst in deciding which programming language to use, then I recommend this simpel rule: Go ugly early. C++ will go out with you in a heartbeat.

*** When It Comes To Innovation, Geography Is Destiny
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/11/business/yourmoney/11ping.html?ex=1328850000&en=fe4d19c92748b279&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
G. Pascal Zachary, New York Times

Google's astonishing rise and Apple's reinvention are reminders that, when it comes to great ideas, location is crucial.

*** Ah, Paris -- The Romance, The Food, The Airport, The Agony
<http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-kids11feb11,1,7576730.column?coll=la-travel-headlines>
Mary McNamara, Los Angeles Times

I don't think our family can again face the gantlet of security forces one must go through to get in and out of this country. Or in and out of Los Angeles for that matter. Perhaps the terrorists have won after all.

*** Viewpoint
<http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article1334436.ece>
Sarah Vine, The Times

Well, zut alors! A distinguished French literary professor has become a surprise bestselling author by writing a book explaining how to wx intellectual about tomes that you have never actually read. Obviously, I haven't read this book; but it is in the spirit of his oeuvre that I shall proceed to write about it anyway.

*** How Green Was My Wedding
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/11/fashion/11green.html?ex=1328850000&en=94b881812c6d617e&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Mireya Navarro, New York Times

People in the wedding business say the eco-friendly or "green" wedding has arrived, its appeal having expanded to spur a mini-industry of stores and web sites offering couples biodegradable plates made of sugar cane fiber and flowers grown according to sustainable farming practices.

*** What Are You Laughing At?
<http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/featurepages/0,,2009748,00.html>
Simon Pegg, The Guardian

You could spend a lot of time exploring the differences between British and American comedy only to reach the conclusion that, ironically, they're pretty much the same.

*** Singapore Airlines Denies Spoiling Bid
<http://news.monstersandcritics.com/business/news/article_1262178.php/Singapore_Airlines_denies_spoiling_bid>
UPI

Singapore Airlines has denied allegations that it used Tiger Airways to undermine an $11.1 billion bid for the Austrlaian airline Qantas.

*** AirAsia Eyes Singapore-KL Route
<http://timesofoman.com/inner_cat.asp?cat=4&detail=3167&rand=X9bWlLW0ZmEgFbGkhPVupusLx9>
AFP

The head of Malaysian low-cost airline AirAsia said Sunday he hoped to secure approval by May to fly between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, and could operate 20 flights a day on the lucrative route.

*** Abdullah Too Nice To Singapore, Says Mahathir
<http://www.asianewsnet.net/news.php?aid=7836>
Reme Ahmad, Straits Times

Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad yesterday took swipes at Singapore as he attacked the policy of Prime Minister Abdullah Badawi for being "too nice" to the Republic in dealing with bilateral relations.

*** Clash Of Titans Over Singapore's Biomed Push
<http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:e2afd4ada9ca0110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Chang Ai-Lien, Straits Times

A*Star's Philip Yeo and NNI's Lee Wei Ling trade barbs over the direction Singapore's biomed research drive should take.

*** Let's All Bash Singapore
<http://www.economist.com/printedition/displayStory.cfm?story_id=8680932&fsrc=RSS>
The Economist

It is hard to avoid the suspicion that the little country's unforgivable offence is being richer and more successful than its neighbours, and not particularly apologetic about it.

*** Fewer Singaporeans Opting To Strike Out On Their Own: Survey
<http://news.monstersandcritics.com/business/news/article_1261965.php/Fewer_Singaporeans_opting_to_strike_out_own_their_own_survey>
DPA

Fewer Singaporeans are willing to strike out on their own with entrepreneurial activity dropping amid a buoyant economy, an international survey said Saturday.

[Opinion]

*** Second Dawn Of Post-LKY Era
<http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2007/02/second-dawn-of-post-lky-era.html>
Goh Meng Seng, Singapore Alternatives

The real post-LKY era will only come with the end of Mr. Lee KY's active political participation.

*** Your Choice Is Now
<http://tomato75.blogspot.com/2007/02/coming-soon-65-million-populations-in.html>
Work To Live / Live To Work

One thing for sure, Singapore is getting expensive to live in. Many of the policies tend to be more pro-rich, dividing the gap wider and increasing the average-income earners group.

*** Missing Chairs Outisde Singapore Courts
<http://renminbao.com/rmb/articles/2007/2/10/43168b.html>
Tianyun, Renminbao