[MyAppleMenu] Feb 1, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Feb 1 13:15:00 EST 2007

*** Woz Unimpressed With iPhone
<http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37347>
Fuad Abazovic, The Inquirier

He can see why some of the compromises have been made and this is of course only the first generation device.

*** Apple And Cisco Issue Joint iPhone Statement
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=17096>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

In a tersely worded message, the companies declared themselves to have agreed to delay procedures slightly in order to create the opportunity for a consensus deal outside of court.

*** SyncTogether Syncs Macs Without .Mac
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/01/31/synctogether/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

Mark/space, developers of the Missing Sync products for PDAs and smartphones, announced Wednesday the release of SyncTogether 1.0, a Mac-to-Mac synchronization product that doesn't require .Mac or a dedicated server to operate.

*** Mac Users Now ABle To File Gov't Grant Applications
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/01/31/grants/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

This is the first time a Mac-compatible software application has been available directly for download from the Grants.gov web site.

[Opinion]

*** A Mac User Switches To Vista
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16873608/>
Joe Hutsko, MSNBC

I really miss that peaceful, Zen-like quiet I felt with my Mac when I'd wake it up or put it instantly to sleep. For me, it just works right, without really have to think about it. So I decided to switch again. From Vista, back to the Mac -- to the brnd new, white MacBook on which I told this story.

*** iTunes Store: Downloading Music, Saving The Environment
<http://www.macuser.com/itunes-store/itunes_store_downloading_music.php?lsrc=murss>
Scott Silverman, MacUser

Here's something Greenpeace never really thought about: Apple's iTunes Store is reducing waste, reducing the manufacture of petroleum-based plastics, and reducing the effects transportation has on the environment.

*** Apple's Virtual Future
<http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2007/01/why_apple_will_.html>
Scott Gilbertson, Wired News

Forget Parallels, what about Wine?

[Review]

*** Maya Complete 8.5: Powerful 3-D Modeling Application Achieves Universal Support
<http://www.macworld.com/2007/01/reviews/maya85/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Sean Wagstaff, Macworld

Maya 8.5 is an animation package that's full of features. Its steep price makes it a tool for serious users, but few animation packages can match Maya's depth and power.

[Wintel]

*** Vista Has speech Recognition Hole
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6320865.stm>
BBC News

Microsoft has admitted that speech recognition features in Vista could be hijacked so that a PC tells itself to delete files or folders.

*** Google Planning Change In China Censorship Policy?
<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070131-8739.html>
Nate Anderson, Ars Technica

The comment signals that Google might not be mulling a policy shift after all, instead choosing to follow its current course and let the US government push for changes.

*** Thailand Hopes Singapore Steps Up
<http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=116470>
TNA

Thailand still hopes its soured relationship with Singapore will be mended soon with Singapore showing more positive response to the kingdom's concern, Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Kitti Wasinondh said on Wednesday.

*** DPM Was Very Clear About The Cause Of Floods - Syed Hamid
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=244592>
Bernama

Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak made it very clear yesterday that the cause of floods in Johor will be determined through a technical study, Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar said today.

*** Singapore Bio Drive Misguied - Lee Family Member
<http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/SIN227593.htm>
Mia Shanley, Reuters

Singapore should reassess its strategy for creating a biomedical industry after spending billions of dollars without achieving significant results, a member of the country's top political family said. Lee Wei Ling -- whose brother, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, is driving Singapore's economic overhaul by moving into new areas such as scientific research, education and casions -- told Reuters that research resources had been spread too widely.

[Opinion]

*** Forced To Be Fit: Another Uniquely Singaporean Phenomenon?
<http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/138297.html>
mollymeek

Never mind that nothing is said about how the supposedly non-NS aspects of NSmen's lives can be badly affected by NS. Never mind that these men are losing opportunities to women and their more talented and liability-free foreign counterparts who will take better jobs and draw higher salaries. Never mind anything. Serve. Serve the state and your own expense.