[MyAppleMenu] Dec 23, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Dec 23 13:15:01 EST 2007

**** The iPhone And I Have Parted Ways <http://justinblanton.com/2007/12/iphone-divorce>
by Justin Blanton, Life. Technology.
This little rant is by no means an indictment of the iPhone; it is /the/ phone for the majority of the population, and will be for the foreseeable future. However, as it stands right now, it just gets in /my/ way more thn it should.

**** User-Friendly Apple Shows A Blogger Its Ruthless Core <http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007/dec/23/apple?gusrc=rss&feed=technology>
by John Naughton, The Guardian
Jobs may wear velvet gloves, but they're lined with lead.
See Also:
Sorry To Tell You, But Think Secret Was Wrong <http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/business/appleaday/blog/2007/12/sorry_to_tell_you_but_think_se.html>, by David Zeiler, Baltimore Sun. This settlement threatens no one on the Mac web who follows the rules.

**** Getting All Charged Up Over Gadget Chargers <http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071223/BUSINESS/564422891/-1/news>
by Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post
The price of electronic progress has been a steady increase in the number of power adapters for all the electronic devices we carry.

**** Mac OS X Leopard Still Ready For Prime TIme <http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=259>
by Robin Harris, ZDNet.com
A few more months of development bake time would have brought Leopard up to Apple's normal high standards. Steve, next time let the developers, not the calendar, tell you when the release is ready

**** Apple To Turn Down The Volume On iPod <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2007/12/23/dlipod123.xml>
by Richard Gray, Telegraph
A new patent reveals that the next iPods and iPhones could automatically calculate how long a person has ben listening, and at what volume, before gradually reducing the sound level.

**** Macs Are Even More Expensive Than I Thought <http://www.scripting.com/stories/2007/12/22/macsAreEvenMoreExpensiveTh.html>
by Dave Winer, Scripting News
I buy Macs knowing they're more expensive, but I expect to be treated better.

**** iRemember <http://www.macnn.com/reviews/iremember.html>
by Ilene Hoffman, MacNN

**** Citizen Curators' Two Cents: Worth Every Penny <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/21/AR2007122100717.html>
by Robin Givhan, Washington Post
The country's most prestigious fashion museum has invited the masses to serve as critics, historians and kibitzers in its new exhibition, "blog.mode: addressing fashion." The Costume Institute at the Metropolitan Museum of Art is opening its doors to bloggers. This warm, fuzzy egalitarian gesture makes the stomach roil and heave. Is elitism really all bad?

**** Intimate Shopping <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/23/magazine/23wwln-lede-t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine&oref=slogin>
by Christopher Caldwell, New York Times
"Information," the apostles of cyberspace have been singing for more than a decade, "wants to be free." Well, maybe /your/ information does. But in late November, the social networking web site Facebook discovered that many of its 58 million members don't feel that way.

**** The Unmaking Of A Technophobe <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/23/weekinreview/23hamilton.html?_r=1&ref=yourmoney&oref=slogin>
by William L. Hamilton, New York Times
I am now, technically, an early adopter. It's been a quick year.

**** Son Of A Gun Got The Drop On Me: Recycled Pulp <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/21/AR2007122100721.html>
by Neely Tucker, Washington Post
It would be a crime to let these tales die. That's where 'Black Lizard' anthology comes in.

**** Programmed For Love <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/20/AR2007122002662.html>
by Joel Achenbach, Washington Post
If advances in artificial intelligence continue, your next lover may have an on/off switch.

**** You Are What You Read <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/23/books/review/Price-t.html?ref=books>
by Leah Price, New York Times
Today, as we supersize our burgers and abridge our books, reading and eating continue to provoke symmetrical anxieties.

**** The Two Sides Of America's Boulevard <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/artsandliving/magazine/features/2007/americas-boulevard/gallery.html>
by Henry Allen and Andrew Cutraro, Washington Post
For richer, for poorer, Pennsylvania Avenue weds the city together.

**** A Toy Maker's Conscience <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/23/magazine/23Mattel-t.html?ref=magazine>
by Jonathan Dee, New York Times
How a business-school professor and consultant for Mattel would turn "Made in China" into something other than a curse.

**** Is Singapore A Libertarian Utopia? <http://reason.com/blog/show/124068.html>
by Kerry Howley, Reason Magazine
No, we don't want to be more like Singapore overall. We want to be more like Singapore in the ways that Singapore is /more liberal than we are/.

**** Life's A Bentley For Ultra-Rich In Singapore Hotel <http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSSP24333520071222>
by Neil Chatterjee, Reuters
Demand for luxury is coming not only from visitors.

**** The Cotai Strip - A Reprise Of Singapore's IR Strategy <http://bleongcw.typepad.com/simple_is_the_reason_of_m/2007/12/the-cotai-strip.html>
by Bernard Leong, Simple Is The Reason Of My Heart

**** Wherefore Art Thout Not SIngaporenow.com? <http://diodati.omniscientx.com/2007/12/22/wherefore-art-thout-not-singaporenowcom/>
by Elia Diodati, E Pur Si Muove
The Singapore government and the MSM still dictate the agenda of many Singapore blogs, let alone that of coffeeshop debate and taxi-drivers' unsolicited musings.

**** Antics At The Guard Post <http://brennan.sg/2007/12/22/antics-at-the-guard-post/>
by Digital Conscript

**** US Sailors Can Have Fun - But Within Limits <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_189522.html>
by Jamie Ee Wen Wei and Shuli Sudderuddin, Straits Times
Those on shore leave have a curfew and most of them must return to their ships by midnight. And if they get into drunken brawls, shore guards will step in to cool things down.

The Shuffe by MyAppleMenu

**** Out Of Focus <http://www.thewowz.com/music.html>
by The Wowz
Click here to listen <http://www.thewowz.com/cooldumpmp3s/outoffocus.mp3>.