[MyAppleMenu] Dec 8, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Dec 8 13:15:01 EST 2007

**** The Elite Apple Corps <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/07/AR2007120700617.html>
by Hank Stuever, Washington Post
Whatever it is (Radio Shack for rich people? The Sharp-/est/ Image?), the Apple Sore isn't what it used to be, even a year or so ago. The initial thrills, the feelings of i-comfort and i-belonging, still await you behind its translucent facade, especially now, in the gizmodic spree of the Christmas season. But somewhere along the way, the zendo quality of the Apple Store changed.

**** Analyst: Apple TV Sales Below Expectations <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/12/07/appletv/index.php>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
Apple may have had high hopes for its first generation Apple TV, but analyst sales estimates indicate the product is not as successful as once thought. Blaming the iTunes video revolution that never hapened, market research firm, Forrester said the Apple TV failed to catch on with consumers.

**** Diehard Apple Fans Line Up Way In Advance For N.Y. Store Opening <http://www.news.com/8301-13577_3-9831069-36.html?tag=nefd.blgs>
by Caroline McCarthy, CNET News.com

**** Apple's French Connection <http://www.fool.com/investing/dividends-income/2007/12/07/apples-french-connection.aspx>
by Dave Mock, Motley Fool

**** MacBook Pro Vs. Eurocom: Who's Fastest? <http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/006035.html>
by Harry McCracken, PC World
The MacBook Pro was indeed the fastest Vista machine we'd seen when we reviewed for our August print issue... and remained so until we evaluated the Eurocom for the December issue.

**** Apple Macintosh Computers Likely To Gain Market Share <http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/newstex/IBD-0001-21528092.htm>
by Investor's Business Daily
Apple's Macintosh computers are poised to make sizable market share gains in the coming months, according to a research firm that tracks PC purchase intent.

**** Boycott Mac Heist. It Really Is That Simple. <http://rhymeswithgeek.com/blogs/someone_else/archive/2007/11/28/boycott-mac-heist-it-really-is-that-simple.aspx>
by Robert Moir, Someone Else
The sad thing is that only have these people chosen to tarnish themselves, but also by acting in that way they've tarnished the rest of us too.

**** The Victorian iPod <http://nymag.com/arts/books/reviews/41519/>
by Sam Anderson, New York Magazine
Amazon's new e-reader, Kindle, is good because it feels old. Wonder how long that'll last.

**** Reading Between The Lines With Kindle <http://www.latimes.com/features/books/la-ca-webscout9dec09,0,3792095.story?coll=la-books-headlines>
by David Samo, Los Angeles Times
The e-book reader raises questions about the fundamentals of literature and its future.

**** Is That All There Is? <http://books.guardian.co.uk/reviews/politicsphilosophyandsociety/0,,2223998,00.html>
by Stuart Jeffries, Guardian
In 1500, our ancestors thought the natural world testified to divine purpose. Floods, plagues, periods of fertility and flourishing were seen as acts of God. Now "acts of God" is a dead metaphor used by lawyers. How did that happen?

**** A Hunger For Books <http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,2223780,00.html>
by Doris Lessing, Guardian
Writing, writers do not come out of houses without books.

**** Arpeggio <http://www.indigestmag.com/lemon1.htm>
by Alex Lemon, InDigest

**** More Singaporeans Turning Whistle Blowers On Maid Abusers <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_184927.html>
by Straits Times

**** Singapore Economy To Slow Next Year <http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8TCI7C00.htm>
by Associated Press
Singapore's economic growth is expected to slow next year, with inflation likely to accelerate due to rising rents, wages and global oil prices, according to a central bank poll issued Friday.

**** Why Dengue Fever Is Spreading <http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1691616,00.html>
by Krista Mahr, Time

**** Pre-School Teachers With Poor English Go Back To School <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_184530.html>
by Sandra Davie, Straits Times

**** Elections In Singapore: Survey Shows Reality <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/226395.asp>
by Loh Chee Kong, Today
Political scientist Ho Khai Leong interpreted the results this way: THat Singaporeans distinguished between a system that was "not too fair" to the opposition, and the "money politics" in some countries in the region.

**** Give Reliefs Based On Flat Valuation, Not Flat Type <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_184721.html>
by On Giin Jau, Straits Times

**** 'Charities' A Misnomer. Call Them SSOs <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_184718.html>
by Anthony Yeo, Conselling and Care Centre, Straits Times