[MyAppleMenu] Dec 5, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Dec 5 13:15:00 EST 2007

**** Review Roundup: Invasion Of The Ultrasmall Desktop PCs <http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=hardware&articleId=9050678&taxonomyId=12&intsrc=kc_feat>
by David Haskin, Computerworld

**** Two Certainties: Death And Apple Taxes? <http://www.mactropolis.com/editorial/two-certainties-death-and-%E2%80%9Capple-taxes%E2%80%9D/>
by Mactropolis.com
Are we paying too much?

**** My Switch To Mac... A Developer's Perspective On Mac OS X. <http://nicksergeant.com/blog/2007/12/04/my-switch-to-mac-a-developers-perspective-on-os-x/>
by Nick Sergeant
Bottom lline: Using OS X is just plain easier and more graceful than using Windows XP.

**** Darn You Apple <http://www.blue-turtle.net/2007/12/04/darn-you-apple/>
by Blue Turtle
There are some compelling reasons for me to stick with Excel for things, but Numbers is just inching its way in.

**** Apple Ordering LED-Backlit Displays Ahead Of Rumored Subnotebook Launch <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/12/04/apple-ordering-led-backlit-displays-ahead-of-rumored-subnotebook-launch>
by Justin Berka, Ars Technica
See Also:
Apple Ultraportable Rumor Of The Month <http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/12/apple-ultraport.html>, by Rob Beschizza, Wired. I think people just want an ultraportable Apple so badly that an order for glue or paint would somehow be contrived as evidence for it.

**** Analysts: iWork Strong, But Won't Affect Office Sales <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/12/04/iworkoffice/index.php>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
Why is Office 2008 expected to retain the large market share enjoyed by its predecessor? Because the mixed feelings Mac users might have for Microsoft don't necessarily extend to the company's products, says Chris Swenson, director of software industry analysis for NPD.

**** Creative Manager Pro 8.5 Released <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/12/04/creative.manager.pro.85/>
by MacNN

**** Why We Acquire Macs <http://lowendmac.com/myturn/my07/1204.html>
by John Carlson, Low End Mac

**** Deutsche Telekom Wins Ruling In iPhone Sales Dispute <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601100&sid=aUd5_GXQYwY0>
by Karin Matussek and Kenneth Wong, Bloomberg
Deutsche Telekom AG, Europe's largest telephone company, can block buyers of Apple Inc.'s iPhone from using the handset on competitors' networks, a German court ruled, overturning an injunction won by Vodafne Group Plc.

**** iPhone Browser Share Overtakes Windows Mobile <http://ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/iphone-browser-share-overtakes-windows-mobile/>
by Charles Starrett, iLounge

**** VisualHub <http://www.macnn.com/reviews/visualhub.html>
by Galen Wood and Ilene Hoffman, MacNN

**** Report: Apple Should Kiss And Make Up With NBC... Fast <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9828867-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Greg Sandoval, CNET News.com
In a report issued Monday, James McQuivey, a Forrester analyst, asked what good it is equipping iPods with video monitors if there isn't anyting video to watch. The way McQuivey sees it, NBC Universal is the clear winner in the feud between the two companies.
/I am, however, living in the part of the world where I don't get iTunes Store, let alone the video store, and I have been finding plenty to watch on my new iPod nano. From podcasts (including NBC's Nightly News) to rips from VCDs, my bus commute is full of "content"./

**** LogMeIn Releases Remote Control For Macs <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9828896-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Elsa Wenzel, CNET News.com

**** Mac Gift Guide 2007: 10 Picks For Your Favorite Apple Fan <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=operating_systems&articleId=9050318&taxonomyId=89&intsrc=kc_feat>
by Ryan Faas, Computerworld

**** Apple Gives Free iPod To Kids Affected By California Wildfires <http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/04/apple-gives-free-ipod-to-kids-affected-by-california-wildfires/>
by Nilay Patel, Engadget

**** Is The Entree Heading For Extinction? <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/05/dining/05entr.html?ref=dining>
by Kim Severson, New York Times
THe entree, long the undisputed centerpiece of an Amercian restaurant meal, is dead.
O.K., so maybe it's not quite time to write the entree's obituary. But in many major dining cities like New York, San Francisco and Chicago, the main course is under attack.

**** The Dictatorship Of Talent <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/04/opinion/04brooks.html?ex=1354424400&en=1b35185ceb24c27f&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by David Brooks, New York Times
Imagine the Ivy League taking over the shell of the Communist Party and deciding not to change the name. Imagine the Harvard Alumni Association with an army.

**** My Paper To Be Full-Fledged Bilingual Freesheet <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_183688.html>
by Straits Times
Singapore's first Chinese freesheet My Paper will be transformed into a full-fledged bilingual newspaper from next month.
/Is this a back-door way for SPH to slowly crawl back into the freesheet market and regain the readers lost when it terminated Streats so as to merge its television stations with Mediacorp?/

**** Uncanny Similarities Between Singapore Inc And The Chinese Corporacy <http://aaron-ng.info/blog/uncanny-similarities-between-singapore-inc-and-the-chinese-corporacy.html>
by Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

**** Malaysia-Singapore Relations Progressing Well - Ng Yen Yen <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=300328>
by Bernama
Malaysia's relations with Singapore have progressed well since Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi took office as prime minister about four years ago, Malaysian deputy finance minister Datuk Dr Ng Yen Yen said today.
She said the cordial relations had come to a stage where there was now an easy camaraderie among the leaders on both sides of the causeway.

**** Throwing Good Money <http://statestimes.wordpress.com/2007/12/04/throwing-good-money/>
by The States Times

**** Prima Deli Faces PR Nightmare <http://www.youngupstarts.com/index.php/2007/12/05/prima-deli-faces-pr-nightmare/>
by Daniel Goh, Young Upstarts
Nothing was mentioned in the news reports of how Prima Deli wanted to help those affected. I'm not even sure if any Prima Deli staff even visited those sent to hospital.

**** New Money Settles In Singapore <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d90640fe-a2d3-11dc-81c4-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1>
by Assif Shameen, Financial Times
The private banking business in Asia is so good these days that banks are flying aircraft-loads of customers for weekends away just to say thank-you &mdash; whereas in the past they might have sent a year-end gift hamper.

**** Singapore's Temasek Eyes Western Bank Stakes <http://www.guardian.co.uk/feedarticle?id=7124968>
by Saeed Azhar, Reuters
Singapore's Temasek, Asia's pioneer sovereign wealth fund with stakes in Barclays and Standard Chartered, looks to be calling the top of the China stock boom and is scouting for cheaper targets in the West.
See Also:
Singapore's Temasek To Back $2 Billion China Fund <http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/singapores-temasek-back-2-billion/story.aspx?guid=%7B3D0BD885-3CAA-4724-AC9A-9908A2545B61%7D>, by MarketWatch.

**** Discard All Food From PrimaDeli: AVA, MOH <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/225745.asp>
by Today
The AVA has ordered Prima to stop all production and recall all its food products. It will not be allowed to resume production until it attains the required hygiene standards.

**** Shape Of 3Rd Generation Team Clear In Next Cabinet Reshuffle? <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_183503.html>
by Peh Shing Huei, Straits Times
The final shape of the third-generation leadership will become clear when the cabinet is reshuffled next year, analysts and MPs are predicting.

**** ComfortDelGro To Increase Taxi Fares <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_183435.html>
by Christopher Tan, Straits Times
Taxi giant ComfortDelGro Corp has notified the Public Transport Council (PTC) about an imminent fare increase. The PTC could not say more.
Sources said the adjustment will include a 30-cen trise in flag-down rate.

**** Sensitive Approach To Mandai Development <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_183516.html>
by Muhamad Rostam Umar, Singapore Tourism Board, Straits Times
See Also:
Leave The Beautiful Mandai Rainforest Alone <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_180797.html>, by George Pasqual, Straits Times.
Mandai To Be Turned Into Asia's Top Nature Spot <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_180797.html>, by Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia.

**** Government Links Pay To Performance <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_183518.html>
by Ong Toon Hui, Public Service Division, Prime Minister's Office, Straits Times