[MyAppleMenu] Aug 31, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Aug 31 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** iPod's Rosy Future <http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=18971>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Global demand for iPods, MP3 players and PMPs remains strong.

**** Install Unlimited Applications On The iPhone With The Dock <http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/08/install-unlimit.html>
by Charlie Sorrel, Wired

**** NBC To End iTunes Sales Of Its Shows <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/31/technology/31NBC.html?ex=1346212800&en=dec07117d54e611a&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Brooks Barnes, New York Times
NBC Universal, unable to come an agreement with Apple on pricing, has decided not to renew its contract to sell digital downloads of television shows on iTunes.
The decision highlights the escalating tension between Apple and media companies, which are unhappy that Apple will not give them more control over the pricing of songs and videos that are sold on iTunes. NBC Universal is also seeking better privacy controls and wants Apple to allow it to bundle videos to increase revenue, the person familiar with the matter said.

**** Mac OS X Leopard Vs Microsoft Windows Vista <http://chris.pirillo.com/2007/08/30/mac-os-x-leopard-vs-microsoft-windows-vista/>
by Chris Pirillo
With my limited exposure to the latest Leopard beta, I can tell you that it's a far more user-friendly, home network friendly, and 64-bit ready operating system than Windows Vista (even with SP1) could ever hope to be.

**** SketchUp Pro 6: High-Powered 3-D Modeling Program Is Loaded With Features <http://www.macworld.com/2007/08/reviews/sketchuppro6/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by David Karlins, Macworld

**** What's Wrong With Mac OS X? <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9033779&source=rss_topic123>
by Oliver Rist, Computerworld
Overall, does OS X suck? Hell, no. In some ways it's superior to Vista, and that's probably only going to increase whent he elusive Leopard finally rears its furry head. Yeah, Apple failed a category where Vista didn't, but that's a fuzzy business/marketing category, not something tangibly technical. But for all its fuzziness, business marketing is still important to the buyers in that market and the intended readers of this column. And something has to explain why Apple simply isn't doing as well in the business market as Windows &mdash; adn this, three to five years since it began its serious popularity push.

**** Apple AirPort Can Be Grounded With IP Header Hole <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2177367,00.asp?kc=ZDRSS05089TX1K0001002>
by Lisa Vaas, eWeek
Attackers can exploit Apple's AirPort Extreme wireless routers using the IPv6 protocol.

**** iPhone Explodes From Unlock Attempt (Picture) <http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2007/08/30/iphone-explodes-from-unlock-attempt-picture/>
by iPhone Atlas

**** Apparently No One At Apple Uses The Dock On The Side <http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/posts/Thoughts/sidedock-2007-08-29-16-00>
by Rogue Amoeba
It really isn't an exaggeration to say that it may make you dizzy.

**** Mac Mini Core 2 Duo: Apple's Smallest Macs Gets A Subtle, But Solid, Speed Bump <http://www.macworld.com/2007/08/reviews/macminicore2cuo/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by James Galbraith, Macworld
Still a great bargain, the Mac mini's size and price allow it to fit into spaces and budgets that other Macs cannot.

**** Apple Spent $720,000 On Lobbying In 2007 <http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070830/apple_lobbying.html?.v=1>
by Associated Press
Apple lobbied congress on legislation designed to update the U.S. patent system.

**** MacFixIt And VersionTracker Bought By CNET <http://www.macuser.com/troubleshooting/macfixit_and_versiontracker_bo_1.php?lsrc=murss>
by Derik DeLong, MacUser

**** The 'Undo' Problem Is Why Web Applications Aren't There Yet <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Stewart/?p=515>
by Ryan Stewart, ZDNet
We haven't gotten to the point where we can replicate true desktop paradigms on the web.

**** Scientists Aim For A 30,000-Film iPod <http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/08/31/2020166.htm?section=world>
by ABC News
Scientists at IBM said on Thursday they had moved closer to such a feat by learning how to steer single atoms in a way that could create building blocks for ultra-tiny storage devices.

**** What's So Good About British Architecture? <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/322b628a-5762-11dc-9a3a-0000779fd2ac.html>
by Edwin Heathcote, Financial Times
British architecture, so often talked about as one of our biggest cultural success stories, is dull, corporate and profoundly uninspired.

**** The Waiting Game <http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1657807,00.html>
by Steve Rushin, Time
Depending on whom you believe, the average American will, over a lifetime, wait in lines for two years (says National Public Radio) or five years (according to customer-loyalty expert Nick Wreden, whose post-office branch you might want to avoid).
The crucial word is average, as wealthy Americans routinely avoid lines altogether. Once the most democratic of institutions, lines are rapidly becoming the exclusive province of suckers. Poor suckers, mostly.

**** A Fight To Be Heard <http://www.citypages.com/databank/28/1395/article15803.asp>
by Matt Snyders, City Pages
A rare disorder left him deaf, blind, and quadriplegic. Then the county took away his voice.

**** Watching Matt Drudge <http://nymag.com/news/media/36617/>
by Philip Weiss, New York Magazine
He hides, but craves attention. He is prurient and prudish, powerful and paranoid, an icon of the right who seems obsessed with makign Hillary Clinton our next president. And he has America caught in the grip of his contradictions.

**** So Many Exclamation Points! <http://www.slate.com/id/2173076/fr/rss/>
by Jacob Rubin, Slate
A new style guide says we should pepper our e-mails with them. Really?

**** Next Two Years Critical In Singaore's Push For Re-Employment Of Older Workers: Labour Chief <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/297169/1/.html>
by Foo Siew Shyan, Channel NewsAsia

**** Prosecution May Drop Two Criminal Charges Against Richard Yong <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/297190/1/.html>
by Mok Fei Fei and Valarie Tan, Channel NewsAsia

**** Extravagant Help For The Needy? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/08/31/extravagant-help-for-the-needy/>
by Leong Sze Hian, theonlinecitizen

**** Singapore Film On Music For Dead Brings Hokkien To Life <http://au.news.yahoo.com/070831/11/14bep.html>
by Reuters
Getai, a traditional preserve of the middle-aged and performed in the seventh Chinese lunar month to entertain the living as well as the dead, is suddenly attracting hordes of young people after a hit Singaporean film has made it cool.
The film "881," a musical about the trial of two getai singers called the Papaya Sisters, si beating Hollywood blockbusters and revitalizing the Hokkien language in a city where Chinese dialects have been phased out of public life.

**** Surprise, Surprise... NOT! <http://mybitchingarea.blogspot.com/2007/08/surprise-surprise-not.html>
by My Bitching Area
What was it that George Orwell wrote... 4 legs good, 2 legs bad? As it is known, only the PAP can be non-partisan and all others are always partisan. It's all so clear to me now.

**** Singapore Swing <http://www.smithsonianmagazine.com/issues/2007/september/singapore.php>
by David Lamb, Smithsonian Magazine
Peaceful and prosperous, southeast Asia's famous uptight nation has let its hair down.

**** Crowd Control Will Be Improved For Future Events: Police <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/208522.asp>
by Toh Boon Ngee, Singapore Police Force, Today
The officers should have considered taker firmer action to move members of the public away instead of allowing them to stay on the bridge, as Mr Chong observed. We thank Mr Chong for his feedback and acknowledge that our officers could have done better in terms of communicating their instructions to the public in a clear and professional manner.
See Also:
Fireworks Over Where To Stand <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/206643.asp>, by Chong Chin Hui, Today.

**** Religious Affiliation Of MPs <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2007/yax-784.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
Out of 82 People's Action Party MPs, I was able to see the religion for 66 of them. There is quite a significant difference between the religious distribution of Singaporeans compared to that of these 66 MPs.

**** The Good News Times Strikes Again <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2007/yax-785.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
You would think, wouldn't you, that a more appropriate headline and lead sentence would be something like "Bottom income groups suffer markedly more inflation than top ones"?

**** Do Away With The Frills, Pay Higher Interest Instead, POSB <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_153193.html>
by Chin Kee Thou, Straits Times

**** Why Have Evening ERP In The First Place? <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_153374.html>
by Ivy Bragassam, Straits Times
It runs contrary to the reason for introducing ERP &mdash; for better business efficiency.

**** Annuities: It's Risk-Sharing Among All <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/208489.asp>
by Christopher Tan, Today
Singaporeans are unhappy because we feel that the government is often high-handed. In this case, we feel that the government has already decided on forcing everyone to participate in a scheme that does not give us flexibility to do what we want with our own money.

**** Changi Airport To Be Privatised <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/208538.asp>
by Leong Wee Keat, Today
Changi Airport will be privatised and run like a business, while the CAAS' existing regulatory and strategic functions will come under a new regulatory body.
/I hope that the "new" Changi Airport will not nickel-and-dime out of every existing free services in place that makes Changi Airport such a great airport./

**** Odex To Hire Independent Auditor To Show Sincerity <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/208537.asp>
by Today

**** NSF Died Of Misadventure After Taking Anti-Malaria Tablets? <http://www.bloglines.com/blog/anibodi?id=5>
by Anibodi's Perceptions
Why was SAF stil using that drug up to the stage when NSF Sufian, very sadly, has died? WHy did SAF only switch to other drugs in April 2006?

**** Singapore To Open World's Largest Ferris Wheel <http://uk.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUKSIN32231520070830>
by Reuters
Singapore is set to open the world's largest Ferris wheel in March next year, as part of the city-state's drive to attract more tourists.