[MyAppleMenu] Aug 28, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Aug 28 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** New iPhone Lawsuit Targets Unlocking <http://www.ipodobserver.com/story/32765>
by Jeff Gamet, iPod Observer

**** iGlasses 2.0 Adds Digital Zoom And More <http://www.macminute.com/2007/08/28/iglasses/>
by MacMinute
Ecamm Network has announced the release of iGlasses 2.0, a plug-in that allows Mac users to adjust and manipulate camera settings from within popular video applications.

**** Why Apple Can't Stop iPhone Hackers <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2007/tc20070827_230698.htm>
by Olga Kharif, BusinessWeek
It could be argued that the lock only protects access to a carrier's communications network&mdash;and communications services aren't copyrightable under the DMCA, explains Jane Ginsburg, professor literary and artistic property law at Columbia Law School.

**** Did Apple Hurt Its Loyal Customers? Or Bravely Resist Software Bloat? <http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/08/did_apple_hurt.html>
by Mitch Wagner, InformationWeek
The disagreement over iMovie '08 is a microcosm of the entire Apple user experience. Apple is a company that thinks it knows what you want better than you know it yourself. When they're right, customers are delighted. But in this case, many of Apple's customers think Apple was wrong, and that the customer got screwed.

**** Think Twice About Tweaking Mac Hardware From Windows <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=812>
by David Morgenstern, ZDNet

**** My Biggest Complaint About Apple's $99.95 .Mac Email - Not Secure <http://mybiggestcomplaint.com/apples-9995-mac-email-not-secure/544/>
by My Biggest Complaint

**** Lure Of iPhone Proves Too Strong For Some In Vermont <http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/phones/2007-08-27-vermont-iphone_N.htm>
by Adam Silverman, USA Today
The device is tethered exclusively to AT&amp;T, which offers no wireless service in Vermont and threatens in legal documents and media interviews to terminate the contracts of anyone who buys an iPhone while living here.

**** The Apple Store Shopping Experience <http://theappleblog.com/2007/08/27/the-apple-store-shopping-experience/>
by Josh Pigford, The Apple Blog
I honestly don't understand how this entire setup is a good idea. Sure I get that they want you to interact with the employees so they can hopefully sell you more stuff... but what about the people like me who just need to go in and buy something?

**** Print It! 2.5 Enhances Shortcut System <http://www.macminute.com/2007/08/27/print-it/>
by MacMinute

**** Handcuffs Chafe Wireless Users <http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/2007-08-22-cellphones-abroad_N.htm?csp=34>
by Leslie Cauley, USA Today

**** Debating The Design Dilemmas Of Apple's iPhone <http://news.com.com/8301-13579_3-9767007-37.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com
In the long run, if Apple wants to make the iPhone a more mainstream device, the designers think the company will have to tweak future versions to make them easier to use with one hand without eroding the capabilities of the touch screen.
See Also:
Coming To Grips With The iPhone's Design <http://news.com.com/Coming+to+grips+with+the+iPhones+design/2100-1041_3-6204462.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news>, by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com.

**** So Who Won The PC Wars, Exactly? <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2007/08/so_who_won_the.html?campaign_id=rss_blog_byteoftheapple>
by Peter Burrows, BusinessWeek
To me, it's a powerful reminder of the wisdom of Jobs' approach to business&mdash;which values profits over growth, and which values market share mostly as a trailing indicator of success rather than a primary peg of a strategy.

**** GarageBand '08: iLife Audio Program Adopts Welcome Musical Refinements <http://www.macworld.com/2007/08/reviews/garageband08/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld
While I found little kinks in some of these new features, overall they're quite useful. Though not specifically intended for podcasters, those producing podcasts benefit from such new GarageBand features as enhanced and expanded effects and automation.

**** Unlocking The iPhone Could Invite DMCA Suit <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/08/27/dmca/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Grant Gross, IDG News Service
Figuring out how to unlock the iPhone yourself is not likely to be a DMCA violation, most of the IP lawyers said. But posting instructions or code online, even for free, may earn you a cease and desist letter from an unfriendly lawyer, and selling software or a device that unlocks the phone is inviting trouble, most of the lawyers said.

**** TV To Fade After 'IPod Moment' <http://www.macworld.co.uk/digitallifestyle/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=18932>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
In future all television will be internet-based, warns internet pioneer, Vint Cerf.

**** Web 2.0'S Five-Year Development Cycle <http://www.wordyard.com/2007/08/27/five-years-2/>
by Scott Rosenberg, Wordyard
It sound like, after the phase of "gee whiz, we got a great idea, let's buy a domain name and put it out there" &mdash; once reality kicks in &mdash; major web applications have an upgrade cycle of /once every five years or so/.

**** OLPC Battery Life: What's The Real Story? <http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9766574-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Peter Glaskowsky, CNET News.com

**** Microsoft Office XML Formats? Defective By Design <http://www.arstdesign.com/articles/OOXML-is-defective-by-design.html>
by Arts Design

**** The Conquerors <http://www.slate.com/id/2169048/fr/rss/>
by L.S. Asekoff, Slate

**** Dinosaur House <http://www.identitytheory.com/fiction/fahmy_house.php>
by Ali Fahmy, Identity Theory

**** Barclays In Trouble, And So Is Temasek <http://utwt.blogspot.com/2007/08/barclays-in-trouble-and-so-is-temasek.html>
by Under The Willow Tree
As its size continues to grow and assets under management balloon, Temasek seems to be making poor acquisitions as it ventures overseas, beyond Singapore's shores.

**** Why No Islamic Bombers In Singapore? <http://vridar.wordpress.com/2007/08/28/why-no-islamic-bombers-in-singapore/>
by Vridar
Why don't they bomb the nightclubs in Singapore where many westerners also turn up?

**** SingNet: We Did Not 'Consent' To Odex <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_152613.html>
by Straits Times
SingNet spokesman Chia Boon Chong said the firm would 'entrust the courts to apply the law and make a ruling'.

**** Jurong East Crop Circle <http://www.wackysingapore.com/?p=135>
by Wacky Singapore

**** SAF Troops To Wear Black Armbands, Deployed At Four Key Places <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_152576.html>
by Straits Times
Troops from the Singaproe Armed Forces (SAF), with beefed-up powers to search, detain and arrest suspicious individuals will be deployed at four key installations from Wednesday.

**** Permit FO rWP Cycling Event Was Declined... "City Of Impossibilities" <http://leelilian.blogspot.com/2007/08/permit-for-wp-cycling-event-was.html>
by Lee Lilian, The Itch To Write
So this is where our tax-payers' money goes to... Minister who gives silly suggestions?

**** Police: Outdoor Gatherings By Political Parties In Open Areas Potentially Dangerous <http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2007/08/police-outdoor-.html>
by mrbrown

**** Singapore Airlines Will Buy Stake In China Eastern <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=a9VwbBcYdSEY>
by Irene Shen and Chan Sue Ling, Bloomberg
Singapore Airlines Ltd, Asia's most profitable carrier, will buy a stake in China Eastern Airlines Corp., gaining more access to a market forecast to grow fivefold by 2025.

**** RIAA-Style Lawsuits Hit Singapore Anime Scene <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070827-riaa-style-lawsuits-hit-singapore-anime-scene.html>
by Nate Anderson, Ars Technica
The RIAA's legal campaign against suspected file-swappers hasn't done much to endear the organization to US music lovers, but content providers in other countries are now adopting the group's tactics, right down to using the same US-based tracking company to identify infringement.

**** Singapore's MAS Sees No Need For Policy Shift With Inflation Under Control <http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2007/08/27/afx4058344.html>
by Thomas Financial
The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) said domestic inflationary pressures remain well-contained and do not require change in its monetary policy.
"Abstracting from the one-off effects of the goods and services tax (GST) hike, underlying inflationary pressures remain generally well-contained for the current advanced stage of the business cycle," MAS said in a statement.

**** Self Praise = No Praise <http://blueheeler.wordpress.com/2007/08/28/self-praise-no-praise/>
by BothSidesOfTheJohorStraits

**** Sad State Of Affairs <http://www.insanepoly.com/blog/?p=367>
by Insane Polygons
Look at our government, look at the people around you and it's hard to see that trust and I can't help but wonder if it were ever there in the first place.

**** Police Cannot Ensure Safety And Order In Opposition's Outdoor Event, So Reject Application <http://urbanrant.blogspot.com/2007/08/police-cannot-ensure-safety-and-order.html>
by Urbanrant
Outdoor political parties' events are not allowed. Strangely, Residents' Committee's (RC) events take place out in the open all the time.

**** Retiring Is Better In Theory Than In Practice <http://tnp.sg/columnists/story/0,4136,140102,00.html?>
by New Paper
Total retirement, as in nothing but time on your hands to do anything you want and watch TV as much as you want, can get rather boring.

**** A Smoking Room In All Buildings <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/207842.asp>
by Law Fook Loong, Today
While it is good that air-conditioned buildings in Singapore are smoke-free, the same cannot be said for the entrances and exits of these buildings.

**** The C Footprint <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/207855.asp>
by Khoo Guan Seng, Connie Kum, Jennifer Lem, Today
Singapore has an opportunity to transform the current COE/ERP transport model into a national green movement.

**** A Hub-And-Spoke Plan For Public Transport <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_152348.html>
by Tan Kin Lian, Straits Times

**** Get Even More Retail Therapy With Saturday Late Night Shopping <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_152395.html>
by Wong Chun Han, Straits Times
Next change: Saturday Late Night Shopping in Orchard Road from next month, every saturday.

**** Ease Traffic Jams: Let People Work From Home <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_152392.html>
by Anbumalar Ramiah, Straits Times
Driving allows us to save a minimum of 80 hours a month in travelling time - time that is spent meaningfully with our two children.

**** Singapore To Tighten Property Redevelopment Rules <http://asia.news.yahoo.com/070827/3/370gi.html>
by Reuters
Singapore said on Monday it would tighten rules on collective home sales &mdash; a move that is likely to further cool the city-state's frenzied redevelopment.

**** ASEAN Needs US$2b For China-Singapore Rail Link <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific_business/view/296381/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
The Singapore-Kunming project, which will spread through eight countries near the Mekong, still has about 550 kilometres of "missing links", according to a declaration issued by ASEAN economic ministers meeting in Manila.