[MyAppleMenu] Aug 21, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Aug 21 13:15:02 EDT 2007

**** Dell Takes Huge Hit As Apple Laptop Sales Soar <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/08/21/Apple-laptops-drive-transformation_1.html>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
New research indicates that Apple laptop sales have soared to new highs on the back of a new halo efect for the company's products generated by clamor surrounding the iPhone.

**** Thomson Scientific Releases Endnote X1 For Mac OS X <http://www.macminute.com/2007/08/21/endnote-x1/>
by MacMinute

**** Apple CEO Among Latest Inductees To California Hall Of Fame <http://www.modbee.com/state_wire/story/47683.html>
by Modesto Bee

**** If It Can't Handle An iPod... <http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/financialpost/story.html?id=3dfc3b15-e4fc-4fb5-b6bb-e4cb249b7731&k=40556>
by Tony Whitney, Vancouver Sun
Even if the vehicle is some megabuck supercar with every imaginable option and a powerplatn capable of uprooting tree stumps, it isn't properly equipped until a favourite MP3 player can be connected.

**** Google: But Apple Says It's All Good
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
Adobe will be adding H.264 support <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/08/21/adobe-adds-h-264-support-to-flash-player-9-beta/> to an upcoming version of Flash Player. Anyone wanna bet partly this is Google (i.e. YouTube) leaning on Adobe?

**** Font Rendering Philosophies Of Windows And Mac OS X <http://www.damieng.com/blog/archive/2007/06/13/font-rendering-philosophies-of-windows-and-mac-os-x.aspx>
by DamienG
Neither of these may matter to a casual user but for professionals preparing material destined for high DPI (film or print) then it's a world of difference. How can you layout a page on-screen and expect the same result on the page when the font isn't the same width?

**** GarageBand '08: A Review For Podcasters <http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/blog/2007/08/garageband_08_a_review_for_pod_1.html>
by Adam Weiss, O'Reilly Digital Media Blog
For a heavy GarageBand user, I see these improvements as nearly worth the $80 pricetag for the iLife suite.

**** The New Apple Keyboard <http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/the-new-apple-keyboard/>
by Aaron Wright, Apple Matters
The real achievement lies in the ergonomics.

**** Virtual Villagers For Mac Hits Store Shelves <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/08/20/virtual.villagers.arrives/>
by MacNN

**** iPhone Texting Study Sparks Controversy <http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2196942/iphone-texting-study-sparks>
by Hillary Childs, vnunet.com

**** An Interview With Hacker CHarlie Miller On Dealing With Apple, Hacking The iPhone, The Vulnerabilities Of Leopard, And Responsible Disclosure <http://www.mercextra.com/blogs/takahashi/2007/08/20/an-interview-with-hacker-charlie-miller-on-dealing-with-apple-hacking-the-iphone-the-vulnerabilities-of-leopard-and-responsible-disclosure/>
by Dean Takahashi, Tech Talk

**** Keep Your Enemies Closer <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/08/enemies/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Dan Moren, Macworld
Microsoft is Apple's last rival of any import and Apple needs them, just as they need Apple. The two have a symbiotic relationship; not just in business or software, but in ideology.

**** Apple Profits Affected By Component Prices? <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2007/08/apple_profits_a.html?campaign_id=rss_blog_byteoftheapple>
by Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek
Apple can stand the hit because sales volume is higher in the fourth calendar quarter than in other quarters.

**** Wired For Customer Satistifcation <http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2007/08/19/news/top/b341c77a1f497a518625733b00076532.txt'%20target=>
by Dave Dreeszen, Sioux City Journal

**** It's A Faster, Cheaper iMac <http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070820/COL11/708200306/1011/BUSINESS>
by Mike Wendland, Detroit Free Press
The new super-skinny keyboard is easy to use, too.

**** iPhoto '08: Apple Refreshes And Updates Its iLife Photo Editor <http://www.macworld.com/2007/08/reviews/iphoto08/index.php>
by Rick LePage, Macworld
It does a great job of walking that fine line between making it easy to organize and present your pictures, while still placing solid editing tools at your disposal.

**** Refurbished iPhones Available For $100 Less <http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/08/refurbished_iph.html>
by Eric Zeman, InformationWeek

**** iWork As A Creative Tool <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/creative/2007/08/cn-iwork/index.php>
by James Dempsey, Macworld
Even as designers and content creators, we are in the world that lives on Office, so we need something on our Macs that lets us live in that world.

**** Talk To The Phone <http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/19170/>
by David Talbot, MIT Technology Review
Speech-recognition software from Vlingo could make the mobile web easier to use.

**** Microsoft Aims For Online Supremacy, Opens Up Windows Live ID <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070820-microsoft-aims-for-online-supremacy-opens-up-windows-live-id.html>
by Jeremy Reimer, Ars Technica

**** Three Strategies For Thriving On The Decentralized Web <http://adage.com/digital/article?article_id=119926>
by Steve Rubel, Advertising Age
As long-form content becomes bite-size, make everything on your site e-embeddable.

**** A Guide For Spiritual Tourists <http://www.slate.com/id/2168653/fr/rss/>
by Hannah Faith Notess, Slate

**** Shakespeare Hovers Over Bush's Administration <http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/theatre/2007/08/shakespeare_hovers_over_bushs_administration.html>
by Jeremy McCarter, The Guardian
Bush's former speechwriter has penned a column in praise of Shakespeare's plays. Maybe it's time someone gave the president a copy of the Complete Works?

**** Is This The End Of English Literature? <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml;jsessionid=NEB2IDPMMU00JQFIQMGCFFOAVCBQUIV0?xml=/opinion/2007/08/20/do2005.xml>
by A. N. Wilson, Telegraph
What do the following have in common: Oscar Wilde, Henry James, Joseph Conrad, Virginia Woolf, T S Eliot, W B Yeats, Charles Dickens, William Makepeace Thackeray, Evelyn Waugh, Philip Larkin and Kingsley Amis?
The answer is, of course, that if they were to come back to life in Gordon Brown's Britain and wanted to go out to their club, or a restaurant or cafe, they would not be allowed to indulge in a habit which sustain them during the most creative phases of their lives.

**** Sleights Of Mind <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/science/21magic.html?ex=1345348800&en=c2e1fc5c320ab1fc&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by George Johnson, New York Times
Some magicians have intuitively mastered some of the lessons being learned in the laboratory about the limits of cognition and attention.

**** Companies Urged To Start Looking At Issues Of Hiring Older Workers <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/295212/1/.html>
by Dominique Loh, Channel NewsAsia

**** Singapore Converts Wastewater For Drinking Water Needs <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailfeatures.asp?fileid=20070821.T01&irec=0>
by Richel Langit-Dursin, Jakarta Post
Neighboring country Singapore shows that sewage can serve as alternative source of raw water for drinking water.

**** Set Pieces And Set Lunches <http://singaporesojourn.blogspot.com/2007/08/set-pieces-and-set-lunches.html>
by Singapore Sojourn

>From my own perspective I found Lee Hsien Loong's address interesting as he set out the path the country needed to follow over the next decade or two. The information was clear and succinct and punctuated with well-chosen multimedia presentations and the odd dash of humour thrown in.

**** MOM Reveals More Detaisl Of CPF Changes <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_150403.html>
by Melissa Kok, Straits Times
The CPF Board will also re-peg the SMRA (Special, Medisave, Retirement Accounts) interest rates to an appropriate long-term bond rate. Manpower minister Ng Eng Hen says expect a lower SMRA rate at the start, but over time, he expects the rate to do better than four per cent.
On annuities, which will be made compulsory for members aged 50 and below, Dr Ng explained the CPF member pays a basic premium which goes into a general pool that will start giving out monthly payouts after the member turns 85.

**** Bishan, Blogged! <http://bloggingbishan.blogspot.com/2007/08/bishan-blogged.html>
by Blogging Bishan
People think of Bishan as a 'new' estate, but I've lived here for nearly two-thirds of my life.

**** It's Time To Dream Again... <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/206672.asp>
by Nazry Bahrawi, Today
Value of flats in Punggol will go up as area is developed.

**** Things I Hate About The MRT <http://littlepearly.livejournal.com/13690.html>
by Littlepearly
Why do I call them jelly-people? Easy. They're spineless fucking retards who lean on the poles because... they're spineless?

**** The Donut Craze <http://insomnicbitch.after6ix.com/2007/08/20/the-donut-craze/>
by My Fragmented Mind
I don't get it. Why are people crazy enough to line up for an hour or two just to eat donuts? And how on earth did the idea of a spicy donut come about?

**** Lee Kuan Yew's "One China" Lesson For Taiwan Visitors <http://big5.xinhuanet.com/gate/big5/news.xinhuanet.com/tai_gang_ao/2007-08/20/content_6570533.htm>
by Xinhua Net

**** Govt Agency Buys Island - In Cyberspace <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_150344.html>
by Tham Yuen-C &amp; Chua Hian Hou, Straits Times
Along with at least two other agencies, the Infocomm Development Authority (IDA) has bought real estate to operate in a universe that exists only online, Second Life.
/Are people still "playing" Second Life? Is this a wise use of taxpayers' money?/

**** Are Anime Providers Stretching The Law? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/206667.asp>
by Thomas Koshy, Today
If indeed Odex has been overzealous in enforcing its rights, a check may be in order, lest the case becomes a benchmark for other copyright owners to emulate.

**** Fireworks Over Where To Stand <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/206643.asp>
by Chong Chin Hui, Today
Were there double standards and conflicting instructions?

**** PM Lee &amp; The Aging Population <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2007/08/pm-lee-aging-population.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
It is not necessarily the case that many old people will not be able to afford food and water, and therefore die alone, of starvation, in their little HDB flats. No, not so dramatic or tragic. A more likely scenario is that as they grow older and their savings gradually run out, they find themselves unable to afford the various medical treatments that would prolong life.

**** A Day In The Life Of A Singapore Trishaw Driver <http://asia.news.yahoo.com/070820/3/36nvy.html>
by Reuters
When it is sunny, he can take home about 60 Singapore dollars, but he often contends with half that amount on rainy days.

**** City Of Immobilities <http://aidilomar.com/2007/08/21/city-of-immobilities/>
by Sheep CIty
If we believe in solely wealth in the city of immobilities, we will self-destruct inevitably.

**** A Day In Asia - Singapore, 2007 August 15 <http://www.cringel.com/adia-2007-08-15>
by Chringel
We're in Singapore. Nice, clean, efficient. A Swiss watch.

**** PM's Rally Speech And Endangered Malay Families: A National, Not Communal, Issue <http://www.singaporeangle.com/2007/08/pms_rally_speech_and_endangere_1.html>
by Singapore Angle
The prime minister is right to say that improving the situation would be a long-term effort, but to say that this is something that Malay-Muslim groups should deal with in coordination with Mendaki is inadequate.