[MyAppleMenu] Aug 19, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Aug 19 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Software Developers Ready To Catch iPhone Wave <http://www.theage.com.au/news/technology/software-developers-ready-to-catch-iphone-wave/2007/08/19/1187462083514.html>
by Garry Barker, The Age
The iPhone, touted as the world's most desirable electronic device, has local software developers tinkering though it is not expected to go on sale in Australia for nearly a year.

**** Introducing The New And Improved iPhone &mdash; By Hackers <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/18/AR2007081800090.html?nav=rss_technology>
by Mike Musgrove, Washington Post
Well, that was quick. The hacker community has taken over the iPhone. Heck, in some cases, hackers are already releasing updated versions of their underground software.

**** iWork '08 Stupidity <http://fupeg.blogspot.com/2007/08/iwork-08-stupidity.html>
by Michael Galpin, Programming And Politics
Changing timezones caused a false positive.

**** My iMac Made Me Tidy My Room <http://jedimdan.wordpress.com/2007/08/19/my-imac-made-me-tidy-my-room/>
by Eucharis

**** Apple MacBook Pro 15-Inch (LED) <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2172476,00.asp>
by Cisco Cheng, PC Magazine
THis model deserves an Editors' Choice, though I will say that the MacBook Pro's next upgrade should be around its second birthday, in January, and it's due for a design change. Not that the current design won't appeal to Mac converts, but in order for Apple to get /existing/ MacBook Pro owners to upgrade, the company will need to do much more than just bump up the processor speed.

**** 'If Lovin' This Phone Is Wrong, I Don't Want To Be Right' <http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-horowitz1807aug18,0,5744231.column?coll=orl-news-col>
by Etan Horowitz, Orlando Sentinel
The iPhone seduces us with its bells, whistles... and ease of use.

**** Gaming On The Mac: Once Maligned, Now Showing Signs Of Improvement <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070818-gaming-on-the-mac-getting-better-but-not-there-yet.html>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

**** Inside CNET Labs: Windows Virtual Machine Performance On The Mac <http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9760910-1.html>
by Daniel A. Begun, CNET Crave

>From a pure performance perspective, Fusion proves to be a faster performing platform than Parallels... All that said, if all you need to do is run more pedestrian Windows applications on your Mac, you are not likely to notice significant performance differences between any of the virtualization options mentioned here.

**** It's Been 10 Years Since Bloggers Began Changing Our Culture <http://www.modbee.com/life/friendsfamily/story/46642.html>
by Sam McManis, Sacramento Bee

**** Museums Meet Auction Houses <http://www.opinionjournal.com/taste/?id=110010481>
by Eric Gibson, Wall Street Journal
The wall between art-world realms is going, going...

**** The Politics Of God <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/19/magazine/19Religion-t.html?ex=1345176000&en=0d0706fa13a2d362&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Mark Lilla, New York Times
Today, we have progressed to the point where our problems again resemble those of the 16th century, as we find ourselves entangled in conflicts over competing revelations, dogmatic purity and divine duty. We in the West are disturbed and confused. Though we have our own fundamentalists, we find it incomprehensible that theological ideas still stir up messianic passions, leaving societies in ruin. We had assumed this was no longer possible, that human beings had learned to separate religious questions from political ones, that fanaticism was dead. We were wrong.

**** Decision On Pulau Batu Putih Claim Expected Early Next Year <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=280117>
by Bernama
The decision on the duplicating claims on Pulau Batu Putih by Malaysia and Singapore is expected to be known early next year, said foreign minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar.
He said preparations to attend the verbal winding up on the claim at the International Court of Justice at The Hague, the Netherlands in November had been fully completed.

**** Coffeshop Scenes <http://freeinthewind.blogspot.com/2007/08/coffeshop-scenes.html>
by Luna Lyelie, The Honey Wind Blows
Check out who's watching what at your friendly local coffeeshop.

**** These 5 Words Got Me Thinking <http://stayorstray.livejournal.com/30883.html>
by Stayorstray
"The Best and the Rest."

**** Did The PM Mention The Old Flats In Hougang And Potong Pasir? <http://nofearsingapore.blogspot.com/2007/08/did-pm-mention-the-old-flats-in-hougang.html>
by Huang Shoou Chyuan, nofearSingapore

**** National Day Rally <http://resounding-love-melodies.blogspot.com/2007/08/national-day-rally.html>
by It's Summer!
I'm really inspired and impacted by the speech and I believe that while we, students are busying with our school work, we should not just ignore or be ignorant about social issues.

**** How To Blog Like A Pro: A Clueless Blogger's Guide <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/162524.html>
by Mollymeek

**** Of The Singapore Opposition <http://nedstark.wordpress.com/2007/08/19/of-the-singapore-opposition/>
by Ned Stark, Winter Is Coming
If the Opposition is not seen as an alternative to the ruling party, what then is the role they should play?

**** Speech By Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, At National Day Rally 2007 (Speech In English) <http://app.sprinter.gov.sg/data/pr/2007081905.htm>
by Lee Hsien Loong, Singapore Government
See Also:
CPF Changes To Help Singaporeans Build Healthy Nest Egg: PM Lee <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_149857.html>, by Imelda Saad, Straits Times. The CPF Borad will pay a higher interest of one percentage point more on the first $20,000 in the Ordinary Account and up to a total of $60,000 on combined Accounts. On the flip side, Singaporeans will have to wait longer to draw down their CPF savings upon retirement. The Draw-Down Age for the Minimum Sum will be raised from 62 to 65 over a six year period, between 2012 and 2018.
To ensure Singaporeans have enough retirement funds should they live after their Minimum Sum runs out at age 85, Mr Lee said 'some form of annuity' will be made 'compulsory for CPF members'.
New Re-Employment Law By 2012 To Help Singaporeans Work Longer <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/294889/1/.html>, by Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia. From 2012, a re-employment law will kick in to make it mandatory for employers to offer re-employment to workers who have reached the retirement age of 62.
Workfare Payout To Be Raised For Older Workers <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/294894/1/.html>, by Julia Ng, Channel NewsAsia.
Singapore Looking Into Setting Up Fourth University <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/294891/1/.html>, by Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia. Prime minister Lee Hsien Loong also said the objective is to allow 30 percent of each cohort to get into publicly-funded universities by 2015, compared to 23 percent today.
Singapore PM Says Closely Monitoring Markets <http://today.reuters.com/news/articleinvesting.aspx?type=bondsNews&storyID=2007-08-19T114304Z_01_SIN57873_RTRIDST_0_SINGAPORE-ECONOMY-MARKETS.XML>, by Reuters. Singapore's prime minister said on Sunday that the government was keeping an eye on turbulent markets because the trade-dependent city-state's economy could be hit by worsening consumer confidence in the United States.
Govt To Focus On Housing Polisy: PM Lee <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_149857.html>, by Straits Times. The government will up the Central Provident Fund Housing Grant introduced last year to $30,000 from the current $20,000. On top of this, the household income ceiling will be raised from $3,000 to $4,000 to cover about half the households in Singapore.
PM Lee Says Singapore Needs More Billingual, Bicultural Talents <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/294883/1/.html>, by Julia Ng, Channel NewsAsia.

**** Pay Lawyers More To Keep Them: Chief Justice <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/294746/1/.html>
by Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia
/Except that for the majority of the experience (read: older) lawyers, my guess is that money is not going to be the main motivation factor./

**** Towards A Citizenship And Constitution Day <http://www.singaporeangle.com/2007/08/towards_a_citizenship_and_cons_1.html>
by Singapore Angle
Change the Citizenship Day to Citizenship and Constitution Day. The justification is simple and logical, citizenship is not linked to the state giving us that status, but it is a status secured by the Constitution, the supreme law of the land.

**** Singapore: The Land Of Impeccable Innocence And Justice <http://www.kanglaonline.com/index.php?template=kshow&kid=980>
by Nikita Sharma Manoharmayum, KanglaOnline

**** Fancy Exotic Cheeses, Live Oysters? Try FairPrice <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_149753.html>
by Nur Dianah Suhaimi, Straits Times
Bukit Timah outlet renamed FairPrice Finest after revamp.

**** PM Lee's National Day Rally Speech <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/08/18/pm-lees-national-day-rally-speech/>
by theonlinecitizen

**** On The 'Dire' State Of The Singaporean Blogsphere <http://blog.vinceliu.com/2007/08/on.html>
by Vincent Liu, In Becoming A Better Developer

**** Wikipedia Edits By Organisations <http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2007/08/wikipedia-edits-by-organisations.html>
by Singapore Election Watch

**** PM Lee To Focus On Wage Gap, Ageing Population In Rally Speech <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/294785/1/.html>
by May Wong, Channel NewsAsia