[MyAppleMenu] Aug 9, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Aug 9 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** Steve Jobs Sells Sugar Water <http://www.mcelhearn.com/article.php?story=2007080914361080>
by Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville
Touting YouTube and prompting people to put ads on their web pages is nothing more than selling sugar water.

**** Analyst Welcome Apple Product Salvo <http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=18779>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Apple's new product range has consolidated anlyst sentiment favouring good long and medium-term prospects for the company's stock.

**** Apple iPhoto '08 Clever, But Not Brilliant <http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/005108.html>
by Melissa Perenson, PC World
I liked a lot about the new iPhoto. Some of the updates are nifty, others are practical&mdash;and will make managing thousands of digital images easier. However, I'd still have to make significant changes to my digital workflow on the PC before iPhoto would work for me.

**** The iMac Gets A Makeover <http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/aluminum-and-glass-a-review-of-the-new-imac.ars>
by Eric Bangeman, Ars Technica

**** Ding! Mac Vs. PC Cost Analysis, Round II <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9029458&source=rss_topic123>
by Scot Finnie, Computerworld
You're not conscious of your TV while you're watching it. Thats the way it is with a Mac. I found that much harder to achieve on Windows PCs, which are constantly drawing attention to themselves.

**** Breaking Down The Apple Announcements <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macword/2007/08/announcements/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jason Snell, Macworld

**** What's Behind Apple's IWork? <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2007/tc2007088_185747.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_technology>
by Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek
Microsoft Office still dominates the market, but Apple's new software may signal a tectonic shift in the two behemoths' uneasy alliance.

**** China's iClone <http://www.popsci.com/popsci/technology/e7e48a137b144110vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html>
by Dan Koeppel, Popular Science
Cellphones, microchips, cars, even iPhones &mdash; there's virtually no high-tech western product that China's cloners can't copy. Pretty soon, you might even prefer their work.

**** Mac Virtualization Apps Are A Boon For Channel <http://www.channelinsider.com/article/Mac+Virtualization+Apps+Are+a+Boon+for+Channel/213037_1.aspx>
by Pedro Pereira, Channel Insider
The ability to run Windows off a Mac creates more options for solutoin providers to present to customers.

**** Where's The Mac? <http://blogs.smugmug.com/don/2007/08/08/wheres-the-mac/>
by Don MacAskill, SmugBlog
Apple has a huge, gaping hole in their desktop lineup. They have an iMac, a Mac mini, and a Mac Pro. But where's the Mac?

**** Freedom From The Press: Google News Lets Newsmakers Comment On Stories <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070808-who-needs-journalists-google-news-to-let-newsmakers-comment-on-stories.html>
by Nate Anderson, Ars Technica
See Also:
Google News Hypocrisy: Walled Off Content <http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/08/08/google-news-hypocrisy-walled-off-content/>, by Michael Arrington, TechCrunch.

**** First Look: Numbers <http://www.macworld.com/2007/08/firstlooks/flnumbers/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
I think Apple's new aproach to spreadsheets is going to be quite successful, at least based on my initial hands-on time. The program is fast, the features are well thought out, and the new paradigm that Apple has applied to the staid old spreadsheet application solve many of the frustrations that we've come to accept with those traditional programs.

**** It Ain't A Podcast Without An XML Feed <http://www.evilgeniuschronicles.org/wordpress/2007/08/08/it-aint-a-podcast-without-an-xml-feed/>
by Dave Slusher, Evil Genius Chronicles

**** New Look For Apple Websites Around The World <http://www.macuser.com/apple/new_look_for_apple_websites_ar.php?lsrc=murss>
by Thomas Gagnon-van Leeuwen, MacUser
Nearly all international Apple websites now sport the dark grey design US visitors have grown accustomed to.

**** iMovie '08: Lacks SUpport For Plug-Ins <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/08/08/imovie-08-lacks-support-for-plug-ins/>
by Erica Sadun, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
It is nice for putting together basic video but you'll want to keep a copy of iMovie 6 on-hand for more advanced video projects, especially if you've invested in third-party plug-ins.

**** iPhoto '08 Does Tagging Right <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/08/08/iphoto-08-does-tagging-right/>
by David Chartier, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** New .Mac Storage Eats Disk Space For Breakfast <http://www.macuser.com/internet/new_mac_storage_eats_disk_spac_1.php?lsrc=murss>
by Dan Moren, MacUser
I realized with a lurch that becaus my iDisk is synced, that means that OS X needs to create a 10GB mirror image on my hard disk&mdash;and that's space I can't really afford to give up.

**** Three Things I Don't Understand About Apple's Moves <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/08/august7_reaction/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
The "confused" side is curious about three decisions Apple has made regarding the following items.

**** Apple And Google Alliance Just Got Stronger <http://www.last100.com/2007/08/08/apple-and-google-alliance-just-got-stronger/>
by Steve O'Hear, Last100
It's not hard to see how these two core competencies can continue to compliment each other.

**** Boot Camp Gets Some Updating Love Too <http://www.macuser.com/updates/boot_camp_gets_some_updating_l.php?lsrc=murss>
by Thomas Gagnon-van Leeuwen, MacUser
Boot Camp 1.4 adds some very welcome improvements, the most important of which is support for keyboard backlighting.

**** Apple Releases iMac Software Update 1.0 For New iMacs <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/08/08/apple-releases-imac-software-update-1-0-for-new-imacs>
by Justin Berka, Ars Technica
Apple, known for their somewhat brief descriptions of updates, is unusually terse this time. The update contains "important bug fixes," but that's all Apple is saying.

**** Apple Releases Mac Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.1 <http://www.macminute.com/2007/08/08/mac-pro-firmware-update/>
by MacMinute

**** An Entire Bookshelf, In Your Hands <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/09/technology/circuits/09basics.html?_r=1&ref=circuits&oref=slogin>
by Peter Wayner, New York Times

**** Ourselves In Shakespeare <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/07/AR2007080701290.html?nav%3Dmost_emailed&sub=AR>
by Michael Gerson, Washington Post
It is a disturbing experience to watch your own brother, your flesh and blood, dabble in the occult, become consumed by ambition and then descend by stages into murder. And the last straw was when he ordered the slaughter of those children.

**** I Wish I Lived In A Land Of Lipton... <http://www.slate.com/id/2171917/>
by Jeffrey Klineman, Slate
What makes southern sweet tea so special?

**** Lost In Space <http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2007/08/09/spatial_disability/>
by Sloane Crosley, Salon
You may not be able to read a map but I get lost in the supermarket, due to my severe spatial disability.

**** Green Thoughts <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2007/08/green-thoughts.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
What I saw in this old man was a deep love for Mother Earth and a very strong sense of responsibility for the environment. Do such staunch advocates of the green movement exist in Singapore? Perhaps, but there can't be many.

**** Singapore Celebrates National Day In Style <http://www.albawaba.com/en/countries/UAE/215885>
by Al Bawaba

**** The Mandatory National Day Post <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2007/08/mandatory-national-day-post.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
Globalisation is changing Singapore - and the rest of the world. I see this very clearly in my own work. THe world is shrinking quickly and getting more and more interconnected. I beieve that the optimal approach would be for the kids to grow up with a very global, international perspective on life.

**** Salaries Forecast To Rise In Singapore Amid Tussle For Talent <http://nationmultimedia.com/worldhotnews/read.php?newsid=30044361>
by DPA
Companies in Singapore forecast salaries will rise by at least 4.3 per cent on average this year due to heightened competition for talent, a consulting firm's survey said on Thursday.

**** Skywest Hopes To Launch Singapore Route <http://au.news.yahoo.com/070808/2/145nn.html>
by AAP
Australian airline Skywest Airlines is hoping to launch its first route to Singapore before the end of the year, the chairman of London-listed parent company Advent Air Limited said.

**** Should Indonesia Drop The Agreements? <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detaileditorial.asp?fileid=20070809.F04&irec=3>
by Makmur Keliat, Jakarta Post
The problem with all of this lies in the following question. If the defense agreement and the Extradition Treaties are not a trade-off and if the emergency situation actually does not exist in Singapore and Indonesia's bilateral relationship wy then has the government signed the defense agreement in tandem with the Extradition Treaty?

**** Singaporeans To Mark National Day <http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=165832&version=1&template_id=36&parent_id=16>
by Gulf Times

**** Singapore's Lee Sees Growth Of As Much As 8% In 2007 <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=aQg5iFFJOXNo&refer=asia>
by Shamim Adam, Bloomberg
Singapore raised its growth forecast for the third time this year after the economy expanded 7.6 percent in the first half, prime minister Lee Hsien Loong said.

**** Al Gore Discusses Climate Crisis With Singapore's Prime Minister <http://nationmultimedia.com/worldhotnews/read.php?newsid=30044281>
by DPA
Gore stressed the urgency of the climate situation at the forum of industry leaders Tuesday and said the growing demand around the world for slutions meant business had to move, or lose out.

**** What Is The Government Afraid Of?
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
Are they afraid of a bunch of homosexuals having a picnic, or are they afraid of the ability of a common man to mass assemble others?

**** Death By Numbers <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2007/yax-773.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
Once again, Alan Chin is waving is "Doctor" title to sound authoritative.

**** View N-Day Parade On Various Platforms <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_146896.html>
by Ng Sook FUn, Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore, Straits Times
We wish to clarify that the camera views of the National Day Parade and fringe events can be accessed using various platforms and is not limited to Active X.
See Also:
NDP Online Viewing Only For WIndows Users? <http://harishpillay.livejournal.com/60606.html>, by Harish Pillay.

**** $30M To Restore UNSW Site <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/204730.asp>
by Lee U-Wen, Today
The University of New SOuth Wales (UNSW) might have to spend up to $30 million to restore the condition of the plot of land in CHangi &mdash; meant for its campus &mdash; before handing it back to the Singapore government.

**** Uniquely Singapore Pay For NDP2007 Yahoo Ads <http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2007/08/uniquely-singapore-pay-yahoo-ads-for.html>
by Singapore Election Watch
No one advertise on internet to let worldknow that NDP is held in their own country. Absolutely stupid.

**** Moving Transportation <http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.com/2007/08/moving-transportation.html>
by Singapore Life And Times
Even supposing that they can police this standard, who will end up paying the cost of penalty?