[MyAppleMenu] Apr 13, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Apr 13 13:15:03 EDT 2007

**** Leopard Postponed &mdash; What's A Writer To Do? <http://www.marialanger.com/2007/04/13/leopard-postponed-whats-a-writer-to-do/>
by Maria Langer
That's a 6-month payday delay for a 4-month publication delay.

**** Apple Can't Face The Truth <http://www.betanews.com/article/Apple_Cant_Face_The_Truth/1176414722>
by Ed Oswald, BetaNews
Instead of admitting that Leopard is taking for longer to finish than it anticipated, Apple has chosen an attempt to hide behind the iPhone to mask the hypocrisy of delaying the next version of Mac OS X.

**** ITV Productions: In With The New <http://www.apple.com/uk/pro/profiles/itv/>
by Nicola Godwin, Apple
When ITV Productions opted to replace some of the proprietary editing suites at its post-production facility at ITV Yorkshire in Leeds &mdash; home to flagship drama serial Heartbeat and The Royal &mdash; it installed a state-of-the-art digital solution based around Apple's Final Cut Studio and Xsan.

**** Apple's Leopard Delay May Signal Deeper Problems <http://origin.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_5652124>
by Troy Wolverton, San Jose Mercury News
The problem Apple is running into is that it's a relatively small company compared to tech giants such as Hewlett-Packard or IBM, said Van Baker, an analyst with research from Gartner.
"Clearly there's evidence that they're not executing to the same level they have in the past," said Baker.

**** Leopard Isn't The Problem <http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/321/leopard-isnt-the-problem>
by Daniel Jalkut, Red Sweater Blog
In stark contrast to Steve Jobs's brilliantly candid /Thoughts On Music/, this statement sounds made-up and poorly thought-out. Bluntly crafted, sleazy marketing bullshit.
The best we can hope for is that it /is only/ sleazy marketing bullshit. Because if what Apple's telling us is true, then they've confessed something tragic: they're incapable of building more than one amazing product at a time.

**** Leopard Delay: 'Cupertino, Start Your Photocopiers!' <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=388>
by Mary Jo Foley, ZDNet
Microsoft could say: "Who's copying who now, huh? We thought of the not-enough-engineers excuse way back in 2004!"

**** Apple's Not A Computer Company? Please <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/04/applecomputer/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
I wouldn't worry that Apple is "non longer a computer company" just because the iPhone has turned out to be a minor speed bum in Leopard's development. After all, the iPhone is really just the smallest Mac OS X computer ever, and its svelte profile shouldn't slow Leopard down all that much.

**** Apple: New Boot Camp Software Could Choke On Windows Vista <http://www.eetimes.com/rss/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199000567&cid=RSSfeed_eetimes_newsRSS>
by Paul McDougall, InformationWeek
Apple warns users of its Mac Pro systems that Boot Camp 1.2 may not be able to launch Windows Vista as designed without a workaround in cases where the Microsoft operating system has been installed on a secondary drive.

**** Why Apple Shifted Coders To iPhone <http://gigaom.com/2007/04/12/why-apple-shifted-coders-to-iphone/>
by Om Malik, GigaOM
The future of Apple is devices. Non-computing consumer electronic type devices are much less powerful than traditional computers, and need programmers who are thrifty in their code and skillful enough to squeeze the very last pico-hertz of performance out of lower-power embedded processors.

by Webomatica
I'm used to the rental model of movie watching. I don't want to own the majority of movies I see.

**** Analysts Not Concerned By Leopard Delay <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/04/12/leopard_reax/index.php>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
Mac users may be frustrated by the delayed release of Mac OS X 10.5, but tech-industry analysts say an October release date for the next major OS X update is nothing to get alarmed about &mdash; especially if it helps get the high-profile iPhone out the door on time.
/My view: I just want to mention two things: I am a Mac user in Singapore, and there will alsi not be an iPhone in Singapore this year. :-)/

by Joshua Chaffin, Financial Times
The world's biggest music companies are expected to ask Apple to introduce a music subscription service to its iTunes digital media store as part of negotiations to renew their agreements with the computer company.

**** KCK Pushes High School Laptop Plan <http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/67475.html>
by Dawn Bormann, Kansas City Star
Kansas City, Kan., school administros have unveiled a program that would outfit every high school student in the district with a laptop computer by next school year.

**** Why Apple Can't Sell Movies <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/04/12/why-apple-cant-sell-movies>
by Charles Jade, Ars Technica
If Apple is relying only on the Apple TV and the iPhone to spur sales of movies at the iTunes Store, then it won't succeed in 2007 either.

**** Analyst: Mac Sales To Disappoint, iPod Sales To Please <http://www.macobserver.com/stockwatch/2007/04/12.1.shtml>
by Jeff Gamet, Mac Observer
Apple will likely report Mac sales at the lower end of analyst expectations during its second quarter earnings conference call on April 25, according to American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu. iPod sales, however, will likely be above expectations.

**** Apple Delays Release Of Leopard OS, Blames iPhone <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9016421&source=rss_topic123>
by Nancy Gohring, Computerworld
Apple said today it won't release Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard," the next version of its operating system, by mid-June as planned, blaming the delay on the iPhone.
Apple said that it borrowed some key software engineering and quality assurance resources from its OS X team in order to keep the iPhone on track to ship in June. As a result, the company will show off a near-final version of the OS at the Worldwide Developers Conference in early June and give developers there a beta copy to take home with them.
See Also: AppleInsider <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/04/12/apples_leopard_still_plagued_by_lengthy_bug_list.html>: Apple's Leopard still plauged by lenghty bug list.

**** Tangled Up In Seuss <http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2007/04/13/dylan_seuss/index_np.html>
by Dan Brekke, Salon
When a musician recorded "Green Eggs and Ham" in the voice of vintage Bob Dylan and posted it online, the Grinch estate promptly replied: One fish, two fish, cease and desist.

**** The Narrow Road <http://jedidiah.stuff.gen.nz/wp/?page_id=10>
by Leland McInnes, The Narrow Road
Mathematics has become hopelessly detail oriented.

**** Lonesome Highway To Another World? <http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/04/13/travel/escapes/13extraterrestrial.html?ref=travel>
by Stephen Regenold, New York Times
Nevada State Route 375 bisects a wide basin, coursing northbound before disappearing into a haze of nothingness beyond.
This is Alien Country, where more U.F.O.'s are sighted each year than at any other place on the planet, at least according to Larry Friedman of the Nevada Commission on Tourism.

**** Our Prejudices, Ourselves <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/13/opinion/13fierstein.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Harvey Fierstein, New York Times
What I am really enjoying is watching the rest of you act as if you had no idea that prejudice was alive and well in your hearts and minds.

**** Singapore Ban On Foreign Speakers May Affect EU Ties <http://jurnalo.com/jurnalo/storyPage.do?story_id=29055>
by Jurnalo
European Union lawmakers banned from speaking at a public forum in Singapore warned Friday they intended to take up the issue in the European parliament.
A statement by the EU assembly's Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe, whose members were banned from speaking at the public forum, warned that the "unprecendented situation, throws into question democratic co-operation with Singapore."

**** Danish Politician Threatened With Arrest In Singapore <http://www.scandasia.com/viewNews.php?coun_code=dk&news_id=3213>
by Gregers Moller, ScandAsia.dk
A Danish politician, Anders Samuelson visting Singapore has been told that if he speaks at a meeting promoting democracy in Singapore he will be arrested. The same goes for seven other members of the EU parliament who are visiting Indonesia and Singapore this week.
Anders Samuelsen has complained about the restriction placed on him through a press release issued in Danish in Denmark. If this will land him in trouble in Singapore remains to be seen.

**** STFU <http://www.insanepoly.com/blog/?p=325>
by Insane Polygons
I don't want to hear anymore about your justifications and rationalisations. Obviously you guys have no intention of listening to any of the people, so why should we the people listen to you. As someone once said, this has ceased to be a conversation.

**** A Political Move Going Both Ways? <http://bleongcw.typepad.com/simple_is_the_reason_of_m/2007/04/a_political_mov.html>
by Simple Is The Reason Of My Heart
Ultimately, Lee's move did give a clear signal that he is aware that most Singaporeans are very unhappy about the pay hikes.

**** Johor, Singapore Can Become A Single Growth Region, Says Ghani <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=256550>
by Bernama
Johor Menteri Besar Datuk Abdul Ghani Othman sees Johor and Singapore evolving into a single growth region in the not too distant future due to the independent nature of their relationship.

**** Singapore Restircts Debate On Ministers' Pay <http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/04/13/singapore.speakers.reut/>
by Reuters
Singapore has banned seven foreigners, including three members of the European parliament, from speaking at an opposition party debate on Friday on a big pay hike for ministers and civil servants.

**** Singapore Food: The Decline Of Nasi Padang <http://randomthoughtsofanagingbabyboomer.blogspot.com/2007/04/singapore-food-decline-of-nasi-padang.html>
by Random Thoughts Of An Aging Baby Boomer

**** Does High Pay Always Equal Good Government? <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:6629de13647e1110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
by Siow Tian Rui, Straits Times
High pay cannot necessarily buy or guarantee integrity, as the National Kidney Foundation scandal and Enron case amply show.

**** Double Whammy For Middle-Income Earners <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:04fb9dac4c6e1110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
by Chang Kiang Meng, Straits Times
Why are Singaporeans paying more in income tax, based on earnings, and getting less or no subsidies in hospitals?

**** Pedestrian Crossing Poser <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/182948.asp>
by Leong Wee Keat, Today
At a pedestrian crossing, who should bear the greater responsibility for watching out for the other &mdash; the pedestrian or the motorist?

**** Can The Pay Hike Go Beyond Dollars And Cents? <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/151820.html>
by Mollymeek
Maybe what we need is really a Singapore that will not go down even if it doesn't have the best civil service and a government that claims to be the best.