[MyAppleMenu] Sep 30, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Sep 30 13:15:00 EDT 2006

*** Apple And SecureWorks Begin Working Together
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/09/29/applesecureworks/index.php>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

*** OS X 10.4.8 Released
<http://www.tuaw.com/2006/09/29/os-x-10-4-8-released/>
Scott McNulty, Unofficial Apple Weblog

*** Toying With Perception
<http://www.apple.com/business/profiles/kidrobot/>
David Levy, Apple

"When you're starting a small company, the fact is you have to pinch pennies wherever you can. So I built my own back-end systems --because, using Filemaker on the Mac, I was confident I could do it myself."

*** Gabriel & Dresden: Setting The Music Free
<http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/gabrielanddresden/>
Dustin Driver, Apple

[Opinion]

*** Why The New .Mac Webmail Is Important
<http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/09/29/why-the-new-mac-webmail-is-important/>
Michael Arrington, TechCrunch

What Yahoo and Apple get, and what Google and Microsoft don't, is that to "own" the user you have to allow them to access competitor's services as well as your own.

[Review]

*** Microsoft Messenger For Mac 6.0
<http://www.oreillynet.com/etel/blog/2006/09/microsoft_messenger_for_mac_60.html>
Daniel Raffel, O'Reilly Network

This really should be labeled as a beta.

*** Shoebox 1.6: Powerful Photo Catalog Offers Easy Categorizing, Speedy Searching
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/09/reviews/shoebox16/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Nathan Alderman, Macworld

Intermediate photo fans who need a friendly, relatively inexpensive way to catalog, search, and back up their images will find Shoebox invaluable.

[Sidetrack]

*** When Is Mac-Compatibility Really Mac-Compatible?
Heng-Cheong Leong

If the package says Mac compatible, and the disc has a label saying Mac compatible, you'd expect the software to be Mac compatible, right?

Not if you're Disney <http://www.thisisbroken.com/b/2006/09/disney_interact.html>.

Somebody in the Disney board who uses Apple products should really wake Disney Interacitve up. There must be somebody in the board that uses Macintosh. Somebody?

*** Shell Of A Town
<http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/cover/2006/cover0929.html?navCenterTop>
David Morton, Washington City Paper

Worst college town ever.

*** Hong Kong Still On Song
<http://www.ft.com/cms/s/99a1c344-4f95-11db-9d85-0000779e2340.html>
Ken Hom, Financial Times

The rivalry between Shanghai and Hong Kong in matters financial and economic in the past few years has become quite intense. However, when it comes to food, I wanted to discover if Hong Kong still reigned supreme.

*** Kuan Yew Replies To Abdullah's Letter Over "Marginalised Chinese"
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=222477>
Jackson Sawatan, Bernama

Singapore's founding father and Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew has written to malaysian Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi over his recent remarks about the Chinese being marginalised in Malaysia. His press secretary, YY Yeong said the letter was now with the Singapore High Commission in Kuala Lumpur, according to a report by The Straits Times.

*** 'We Compiled With The Law'
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15053584/site/newsweek/>
Sonia Kolesnikov-Jessop, Newsweek

An executive at Singapore's state-owned investment firm discusses the deal that triggered Thailand's political crisis. The company line: don't blame us.

*** Singapore Locks Up Rights Lawyer In Mental Hospital
<http://www.theepochtimes.com/news/6-9-28/46432.html>
Jaya Gibson, Epoch Times

Singapore authorities have forced the city-state's leading human rights attorney, Madasamy Ravi, into a psychiatric institution, The Epoch Times has learned. Ravi's hospitation, which sources say is against his will, follows his legal defense of eleven Falun Gong practitioners in a series of cases which Ravi believes are politically motivated.

*** Temasek 'Unaware' Of Tax-Free Shin Deal
<http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/09/30/headlines/headlines_30015050.php>
The Nation

Singapore's Temasek Holdings was not informed the Shin Corp sale was structured so that the Shinawatra family would avoid paying taxes, nor was payment made into offshore bank accounts as has been reported.

*** LKY Has Hidden Motives In Accusing Malaysia Of Marginalising Chinese
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=222371>
Bernama

Information Minister Datuk Zainuddin Maidin said today Singapore Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew had ulterior motives in accusing Malaysia of marginalising the Chinese community when he himself had killed the Chinese culture in his own country. "I think he wanted to scare the Chinese, to make them feel that the wealth that they have amassed can never be safe in the region," he said to Beijing newsmen after visiting Xinhua news agency.

[Opinion]

*** My Singaporean Dream Is To...
<http://lightspeeder.blogspot.com/2006/09/my-singaporean-dream-is-to.html>
Sandy Beach's Very Own Turf

What makes me, a Singaporean, feel Singaporean? I can live without hawker centre food. I can live without that shopping paradise. I can live without the PAP telling us what to do.

*** Why I Left Apple Retail
<http://popagandhi.com/391/why-i-left-apple-retail/>
Popagandhi

[Entertainment]

*** Singapore: A Repressed City-State? Not In Its Kitchens
<http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/10/01/travel/01next.html?ex=1317355200&en=c292283985bfce81&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
R. W. Apple Jr, New York Times

In the last decade and especially the last four or five years, elegant restaurants serving inventive cuisine have sprung up all over town.