[MyAppleMenu] Sep 28, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Sep 28 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** Apple Updates Pro Applications, Final Cut Pro, And Logic
<http://emperor.tidbits.com/webx/.3c7fd356?@610.pBBEbLvwqeC@>
Jeff Carlson, TidBITS

*** It's A Mac World After All
<http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/News.asp?id=40714>
Sarah Lysecki, IT Business

Apple's Schiller may have been made Intel history on Tuesda as the first Apple employee to set foot at an IDF conference, but the two companies still have a long way to go in terms of their work together.

*** MLB Is Going... Going... Gone From iTunes Podcasts
<http://www.macuser.com/itms/mlb_is_goinggoinggone_from_itu.php?lsrc=murss>
Dan Moren, MacUser

The chief dispute was that Apple was uncooperative about promotion.

*** iTunes Update Fixes Stability Issues
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2006/09/27/itunes/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Playlist

Apple released an update on Wednesday to its jukebox software, iTunes. The update addresses stability and performance issues with Cover Flow, CD importing, iPod syncing and more, according to information provided by Apple.

*** Microsoft Releases Intel-Native Messenger 6
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/09/27/messenger/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

[Opinion]

*** Much Ado Over Podcasts
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/sep2006/tc20060928_746437.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index>
Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek

Apple is doing itself more harm than good by cracking down on commercial use of the word "pod".

*** Macs For Teachers
<http://allansiew.wordpress.com/2006/09/27/macs-for-teachers/>
Allan Siew

People are finally taking advantage of Apple technology.

*** Anti-DRM Forces Begin To Coalesce
<http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2006/09/antidrm_forces_begin_to_coales_1.html>
Jeremiah Foster, O'Reilly Network

DRM is not the answer.

*** Time For Apple To Think Different About Music
<http://www.macuser.com/itms/time_for_apple_to_think_differ.php?lsrc=murss>
Dan Moren, MacUser

*** Of Lossless And Libraries
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2006/09/lossless/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jason Snell, Playlist

*** There's Room For Both Aperture, Lightroom To Thrive
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/09/27/apertureanalysis/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

*** Why iTV Won't Be For Gaming
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/gameroom/2006/09/itv/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

Apple is so far away from being able to compete with Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo as a games developer, the mere idea is beyond ludicrous. It's absolute fantasy.

[Review]

*** VisiStat 4: Elegant Web Analystics Without The Software
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/09/reviews/visistat4/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Joe Kissell, Macworld

*** Bejeweled For iPod: "Match Three" Puzzle Game Makes A Smooth Transition To iPod
<http://playlistmag.com/reviews/2006/09/bejeweled/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Playlist

[Wintel]

*** A Mac Fan Takes On Vista
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/09/27/vistavsmac/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Ken Mingis, Computerworld

So if I turn off UAC, ignore the sidebar gadgets and skip IE7, what am I left with in Vista? A new operating system that is more secure than its predecessor, looks great on the surface and no doubt has a plethora of under-the-hood changes, but one that leaves the casual user frequently frustrated.

*** Rural Areas Left In Slow Lane Of High-Speed Data Highway
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/28/technology/28vermont.html?ex=1317096000&en=7894fdd9dd6a1179&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Ken Belson, New York Times

*** Analysts Question The Point Of Dot-Mobi
<http://news.com.com/2100-1039_3-6120263.html?part=rss&tag=6120263&subj=news>
David Meyer, CNET News.com

*** Malaysia Summons Singapore's Ambassador
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/9/28/nation/20060928174139&sec=nation>
The Star

*** MICA Revokes Approval For Circulation Of FEER
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/233023/1/.html>
Noor Mohd Aziz, Channel NewsAsia

*** Malaysia Air Opposes Liberalization Plan
<http://www.hemscott.com/news/latest-news/item.do?newsId=36352603405399>
AFX

A restructuring plan to turn around flag carrier Malaysia Airlines will fail if the government liberalizes the country's aviation industry before 2008, the airline's chief executive has warned.

*** No More EM3 Streaming From 2008
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/232984/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

The new system will allow students to do subjects based on their abilities.

*** PM Sends Singapore Letter On LKY Remarks
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Thursday/National/20060928091453/Article/local1_html>
Farrah Naz Karim, New Straits Times

Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi has sent a letter to the Singapore government seeking an explanation over recent remarks by Lee Kuan Yew.

*** British Falungong Journalist Deported From Singapore: Falungong
<http://www.asianewsnet.net/news.php?aid=4906>
AFP

A British journalist and practitioner of the Falungong spiritual group has been deported by Singapore authorities, a newspaper has said.

*** Courts To Review Sentencing Guidelines
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:33f40aa44bfed010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Tanya Fong, Straits Times

CJ wants to strike new balance between punishing and rehabilitating offenders.

*** Ex-NKF Director, 2 Others Charged Under Securities Industry Act
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/232880/1/.html>
Loh Kim Chin and Rita Zahara, Channel NewsAsia

[Opinion]

*** Great Move, But One Hand Cannot Clap Alone
<http://kwayteowman.blogspot.com/2006/09/great-move-but-one-hand-cannot-clap.html>
The Kway Teow Man

*** A Major Change In Philosophy
<http://commentarysingapore.blogspot.com/2006/09/major-change-in-philosophy_115941052097753086.html>
Mr Wang Bakes Good Karma

Human beings are pretty complex. There must be more alternatives.

*** Singapore Is Liberal
<http://bendecidestoblog.wordpress.com/2006/09/26/singapore-is-liberal/>
Illegitimis Non Carborundum

I believe that Singapore is a liberal state, or is becoming a liberal state. I say this because most of the civilised world is liberal, and we will follow suit.

*** From Selective Wisdom To Selective Folly: Why The Future Does Not Belong To Bloggers
<http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2006/yax-657.htm>
Yawningbread.org

The future, now as always, belongs to those who can impact others emotionally and experientially and who can organise and mobilise, that is, to those who will seize the moment and act.

*** Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right
<http://www.malaysiakini.com/letters/57398>
Malaysiakini

How many generations must my children, and their children after them, go through before they will be viewed as Malaysians?