[MyAppleMenu] Sep 5, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Sep 5 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** Korean Air Bans Mac Laptop Use
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=15766>
Macworld UK

*** Meet The iTunes Wannabes
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/sep2006/tc20060905_083985.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_businessweek+exclusives>
Catherine Holahan, BusinessWeek

>From MySpace to AOL, the list of would-be iTunes rivals is getting longer, but don't expect them to knock Apple from its perch just yet.

*** The MacBook "Hack" Controversy Continues
<http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/9/4/5194>
Ars Technica

*** This iPod's Ready To Roll
<http://www.theage.com.au/news/digital-music/this-ipods-ready-to-roll/2006/09/01/1156817089860.html>
The Age

The new Japanese robot Miuro turns an iPod music player into a dancing boombox-on-wheels.

*** Apple's Flip-Floppy Stance On Sex Podcasts Continues
<http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/9/4/5189>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

Without a concrete explanation as to why "Sex is Fun" and other unnamed sex-themed podcasts have been removed from iTunes, all the world can do is speculate as to what Apple is thinking and where they're tying to go with this new form of podcast-censorship through iTunes.

[Opinion]

*** In Praise Of The Pro
<http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,71712-0.html?tw=rss.index>
Leander Kahney, Wired News

How much computer horsepower do you need to compose e-mail and surf the web? If you're a deranged Mac nut like me, the answer's a spanking new Mac Pro -- the baddest-ass computer on the planet.

*** How To Stress-Test Your MacBook Pro
<http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisemac/archives/2006/09/how_to_stresste.html>
Tom Yager, InfoWorld

*** The Most Unlikely Of Purchases
<http://cplyon.ca/blog/archives/2006/09/the_most_unlike.html>
One Big Rant

This is the story of how Chris brought a Mac from a guitar store.

[Review]

*** Mac To School 2006: The $2,000 Challenge
<http://db.tidbits.com/article/8664>
Dan Pourhadi, TidBITS

With a theoretical $2,000 to spend, how would I balance value and quality to equip myself adequately for school?

*** Mac BitTorrent Clients Reviewed
<http://torrentfreak.com/mac-bt-clients/>
TorrentFreak

*** Will You Let Them Store Your Dreams?
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14639922/site/newsweek/>
Steven Levy, Newsweek

Even if the search companies are careful to protect the information, there's reason for you to worry.

[Tech & Science]

*** Testing Limits, 220 Miles Above Earth
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/05/science/space/05prof.html?ex=1315108800&en=b5cd8f6eaec45d86&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Ann Parson, New York Times

Peggy Whitson lived on the International Space Station for six months in 2002. She is now preparing for her second tour in space.

[Life]

*** Survival Of The Harmonious
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2006/09/03/survival_of_the_harmonious/?page=full>
Drake Bennett, Boston Globe

Mounting evidence suggests that human beings are hard-wired to appreciate music. What researchers want to know now is why our distant ancestors evolved music in the first place.

*** The New Naysayers
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14638243/site/newsweek/>
Jerry Adler, Newsweek

In the midst of religious revival, three scholars argue that atheism is smarter.

*** Corcodile Hunter, Audience Charmer
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/04/AR2006090401109.html?nav=rss_print/style>
Paul Farhi, Washington Post

Steve Irwin spent much of his life not just tempting fate but petting it, riding its back and swinging it by the tail. I the end, fate snapped back.

*** Building A Hate For Learning
<http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2006/09/05/homework_problems/index_np.html?source=rss>
Rebecca Traister, Salon

Homework inhibits learning, strains families and stunts social development.

[Expressions]

*** Black Ice
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/articles/060911fi_fiction>
Cate Kennedy, New Yorker

*** Singapore Ready To Welcome Malaysian Carrier AirAsia's Flights
<http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/09/05/business/AS_FIN_COM_Malaysia_Singapore_AirAsia.php>
Associated Press

Singapore is ready to accept AirAsia's flights from Malaysia, a Singaporean minister said Tuesday, as the budget airline's chief urged the city-state to reduce charges levied by its low-cost terminal to attract more flights.

*** Singapore's Temasek To Buy More Assets In China
<http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/9/5/business/15332561&sec=business>
Bloomberg

Temasek Holdings, the largest overseas shareholder in Chinese banks, plans to add to its more than S$8bil of investments in the country, reducing reliance on its home market of Singapore.

*** Singapore Blocks IMF Street Protests
<http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/09/04/business/sing.php>
Bloomberg

Singapore will not lift a ban on street protests during International Monetary Fund and World Bank meetings this month because it wants to avoid the riots seen at similar events elsewhere, the senior minister, Goh Chok Tong, said Monday.

[Opinion]

*** New Era In Singapore Malaysia Relationship
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2006/09/new-era-in-singapore-malaysia.html>
My Singapore News

This is only possible when politics is remvoed from the equation of business and economic cooperation.

*** CNA: Fifty-Dollar Men
<http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2006/yax-646.htm>
Yawningbread.org

Given the censorious climate, people hold back whenever they think they're dealing with a "sensitive" subject. And so we product mediocre work, because we are entangled in rules and sensitivites.

*** Dim Sum In Singapore
<http://eatlu.blogspot.com/2006/09/dim-sum-in-singapore.html>
Eat Lu!

Call it nostalgic or anything else, my craving for dim sum started since I relocated in Singapore a year ago.

*** The Battle Of Toy
<http://xenoboysg.blogspot.com/2006/09/battle-of-toy.html>
A Xeno Boy In Sg

For self-respecting young Singaporeans who are politically aware, who have fire and imagination, who are the creative forces which the government desires so much, will never see the YP as an organisation that will challenge them.

*** Entering Treacherous Waters
<http://nuovuo.blogspot.com/2006/09/entering-treacherous-waters.html>
Nuovuo

For its reputation as a group of technocrats, the People's Action Party has been rather slow to embrace the internet.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]