[MyAppleMenu] Oct 26, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Oct 26 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** Apple Releases iPod Shuffle Reset Utility
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2006/10/26/shuffle/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Playlist

*** Apple iPod Will Dominatte For Next 12 To 18 Months
<http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=AAPL:US&sid=aZwoW.P_wks4>
Dina Bass, Bloomberg

Apple's iPod will dominate the digital media device market in the next 12 to 18 months even as Microsoft introduces a competing music player, according to a JupiterResearch report.

*** Adobe Releases Public Beta Of Soundbooth Audio App
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/10/25/soundbooth/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

Adobe on Thursday will unveil the public beta of Soundbooth, a new audio application the company says is targeted to creative professionals that need to work with audio. Soundbooth will target the same professional market as Apple's SoundTrack Pro, but Adobe believes they will have an edge with Soundbooth.

*** Final Cut Express HD 3.5.1
<http://www.tuaw.com/2006/10/25/final-cut-express-hd-update-3-5-1/>
Unofficial Apple Weblog

*** From Your iPod To The Stereo With Bluetooth
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/26/technology/26belkin.html?ex=1319515200&en=6005d33889cfb994&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
J. D. Biersodfer, New York Times

Belkin's TuneStage II lets  you beam music wirelessly to the stereo over a Bluetooth connection from as far as 30 feet away.

*** Unpatched Macs Face Blutetooth Root Exploit
<http://emperor.tidbits.com/webx/.3c81e19c?@30.Oz7ebfUbsGe@>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

*** New And Improved
Heng-Cheong Leong

My Money Minder <http://www.geocities.com/ben_blake1/mymoneyminder.html>: Keep track of all your expenses, income and bank account balances.

Quiz Press 1.5 <http://www.solrobots.com/quizpress/index.html>: Make your own quizzes that you can put on the web or print out for classroom use.

xTimeProject4 <http://www.app4mac.com/xtimeproject.html>: Tool for keeping track of the time you spend, related expenses, to do items for your daily tasks and projects.

MahJong Tradition <http://www.xixsoftware.com/mahjong.html>: Think of it as a kind of Gin Rummy, but far less boring.

[Opinion]

*** Apple, Tear Down This Wall
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2006/tc20061025_071006.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index>
Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek

As iPod turns five, it's time to rekindle the debate over music download formats and ask again whether iTunes is too restrictive.

*** Apple Chomper
<http://www.slate.com/id/2152198/nav/tap1/>
Alexander Dryer, Slate

How Nokia can knock the iPod from its perch.

*** The White Wonder
<http://www.slate.com/id/2152197/nav/tap1/>
Michael Agger, Slate

Has the iPod really sparked a revolution?

*** Glorious iPod Puts Personality In Pockets
<http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=internetNews&storyID=2006-10-25T235210Z_01_N25413105_RTRUKOC_0_US-MORRIS.xml&WTmodLoc=InternetNewsHome_C1_%5BFeed%5D-7>
Chris Morris, Hollywood Reporter

Beyond its technical and commercial revolutions, the iPod succeeded wildly because, as Levy notes reportedly, the device transcends mere gizmodom through its unique bond with the user.

*** Apple Press Photos CollectionC irca 1976-1985
<http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?page_id=7678>
John C Dovrak

[Review]

*** Making iTunes More Social
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB116173559413602734-tZjsCmE65zHAA9JkgYs64dp0eDo_20071024.html?mod=rss_personal_technology>
Walter S. Mossberg and Katherine Boehret, Wall Street Journal

Free add-on software displays listening habits of friends in real time.

*** The Missing Sync For Palm OS 5.1: HotSync Alternative Syncs iLife Apps With PDAs And Smart Phones
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/10/reviews/palmsync/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

*** Firefox 2.0: A Second First Look
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/10/firstlooks/firefox2final/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

*** US Imposes Biometric Entry Demand
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6080384.stm>
BBC News

A deadline for states with vsia waiver agreements with the US to start issuing a new generation of biometric passports to meet US demands has passed.

*** Digital Divide Could Be Deepening
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6085412.stm>
BBC News

The number of people in the UK who have no intention of getting internet access has risen, research firm Point Topic has found.

*** MySpace, ByeSpace?
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB116182858175204222-hQdPgEpkAYLfclS_PCCvtIVQvSo_20071025.html?mod=rss_free>
Vauhini Vara, Wall Street Journal

Some users renounce social sites as too big.

*** Good News Day
<http://dilbertblog.typepad.com/the_dilbert_blog/2006/10/good_news_day.html>
Scott Adams, Dilbert Blog

I still don't know if this is permanent. But I do know that for one day I got to speak normally. And this is one of the happiest days of my life.

*** Chee On CNN
<http://singabloodypore.blogspot.com/2006/10/chee-on-cnn.html>
Singabloodypore

*** Programme To Help NSmen Prepare For IPPT
<http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/news_and_events/nr/2006/oct/26oct06_nr.html>
Mindef

The IPPT Preparatory Training (IPT) is a voluntary programme designed to help NSmen prepare for their annual Individual Physical Proficiency Test (IPPT).

*** Chee Drops Lawyer Ravi
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/150826.asp>
Loh Chee Kong, Today

SDP chief, 2 others conduct own defence.

*** Will Singaporeans Ever Be Footloose And Car-Free?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/150837.asp>
Tor Ching Li, Today

Transport Minister Raymond Lim has set the target, but experts said that the road to achieving it may not be straightforward.

[Opinion]

*** Religion, Politics, And Singapore
<http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=1300&dept_id=374730&newsid=17377914&PAG=461&rfi=9>
Lorraine Collins, Black Hills Pioneer

*** Singapore's Success Story A Fact
<http://www.malaysiakini.com/letters/58616>
Malaysiakini

Dr M always looks down on our neighbour, talk down to them about being a small country. Yet just look at the above few real life examples and results on who can actually stand taller, at least in the eye of international community. The facts stand out very clearly.

*** Mr Wang's Personal Trivia
<http://commentarysingapore.blogspot.com/2006/10/mr-wangs-personal-trivia.html>
Mr Wang Bakes Good Karma

What I wanted to do is demonstrate that actually, life in Singapore does offer a variety of options.

*** 'Insensitive' Blogger Also Lacked Humility, Empathy
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:070399586ef7e010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Yang Sixiang, Straits Times

If Mr Wee's only concern for his daughter is about being politically correct, then I am afraid he is missing out on something fundamental.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]