[MyAppleMenu] Oct 1, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Oct 1 13:15:00 EDT 2006

*** Apple Plans Marketing Strategy In India
<http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1810502,0002.htm>
Hindustan Times

Apple has chalked out a new marketing strategy to expand its footprint in India and is looking for more channel partners to market its products.

*** Mac Wi-Fi Driver Flaw Talk Scrapped, But...
<http://blog.eweek.com/blogs/eweek/archive/2006/09/30/13526.aspx>
Ryan Naraine, eWeek

[Opinion]

*** Macs... Why Bother?
<http://education.zdnet.com/?p=542>
Christopher Dawson, ZDNet

*** A Worm In The Apple
<http://www.nicolebatten.com/?p=245>
Nicole Batten

Yes, that's right. There's gonna be a phone call made to Apple about this lovely employee who had had one too many donuts, if you know what I mean.

*** On The Origins Of .DS_Store
<http://arno.org/blog/2006/09/on-origins-of-dsstore.html>
Arno's Blog

Personally, I don't think it's a great name and I wish we had gone with something a bit more descriptive, but it's too late for that. :-)

*** What I Would Like From iTV
<http://asdavis.blogspot.com/2006/09/what-i-would-like-from-itv.html>
Asdavis Berwick, MacUsersBlog.com

*** The Battle Over YouTube
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15079910/site/newsweek/>
Brad Stone, Newsweek

The video-sharing site is the hottest start-up since Google. Is it worth a billion dollars, or is it just another company in need of a business model?

*** Every Move You Make
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/30/AR2006093000147.html?nav=rss_technology>
Amy Joyce, Washington Post

If you think you're being watched, you probably are.

*** Row, Row, Row The Boat
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2006/10/01/row_row_row_the_boat/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Globe+Magazine>
Keith O'Brien, Boston Globe

Four years after a gruesome sculling accident on the Charles, John Yasaitis is back to finish what he started at the famous regatta.

*** Last Words
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/01/magazine/01wwln_essay.html?ei=5088&en=dbca0d248cdc8593&ex=1317355200&adxnnl=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1159675523-PCyOWH7iS5RY2gGNnpRP9w>
Walter Benn Michaels, New York Times

The good news is that progress has been made; no one any longer thinks that one language is better than another. But the bad news is that many languages are dying anyway.

[Ramblings]

*** We Are Number One (From The Bottom)!
Heng-Cheong Leong

If I read this report correctly, it seems that Singapore has scored another Number One (from the bottom) again.

No, it's not about our journalistic values, or lack thereof.

According to a study <http://www.physorg.com/news78893140.html> by the International Centre for Cancer Research and the Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Singapore ranked last among the 24-nation study on the air-quality in public spaces such as bars, restaurants, nightclubs, train stations, airports and hospitals.

The culprit? Second-hand smoke.

[News]

*** On All Counts, Singapore Is Getting It Right
<http://www.busrep.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=553&fArticleId=3463909>
BusinessReport

With planning and foresight, Singapore has turned the so-called business continuity services into a tidy business.

[Opinion]

*** Sorry Minister Mentor, But You Got It All Wrong
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Sunday/Columns/20061001114901/Article/index_html>
Paddy Bowie, New Straits Times

In a situation where true identity is based on reality and image on perception -- perception drives. Lee carries the legend. This writer feels like David tilting at Goliath but dare not hope for te biblical outcome. We need to get our story out.

*** Chinese Marginalized: Kuan Yew Vs Abdullah
<http://ronnieliutiankhiew.blogspot.com/2006/09/chinese-marginalized-kuan-yew-vs.html>
Liu Ronnie, Malaysian First

I did not expect Abdullah to write to Lee for clarification over the controversial remarks. That's because I'm afraid that MM Lee may decide to give evidences and example to illustrate or prove his point, and that woul dbe even harder for Abdullah to stomach.

*** Growing Legion Of The Unfooled
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Sunday/Columns/20061001084248/Article/index_html>
Kalimullah Hassan, New Straits Times

There were many theories on why Lee would have wanted to make such profoundly inaccurate observation about Malaysia, especially when relations between Singapore and both Malaysia and Indonesia had taken on a better turn in the last few years. "Wag the dog" -- that was the common consensus at our table of Chinese, Indians and Malays.

*** Begging Singapore To Smile...
<http://scorpiohenry.blogspot.com/2006/10/begging-singapore-to-smile.html>
Scorpio Me, Virgo Dear, Scorpio Son

We have paid a very high price for our country's successn & development. We paid so with our smiles gone forever.

*** Over The Causeway - Part One
<http://www.meshio.com/index.php/2006/10/over-the-causeway-part-one/>
Meshio.com

You all can start arguing that the 697.2 square km island would be much easier to develop public transportation, but I believe that the design did not happen by accident.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]