[MyAppleMenu] Nov 15, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Nov 15 13:15:00 EST 2006

*** Talk Transcript: The iPod Revolution
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15262491/site/newsweek/>
Newsweek

*** Quark Gains Confidence
<http://www.it-enquirer.com/main/ite/more/quark_interview>
IT-Enquirer

According to Quark's European Marketing Director, Gavin Drake, Quark has lost some share when Adobe entered their market, but this been substantially stemmed and since QuarkXPress 7 was released, all eyes are on Quark again.

*** 17" Studio Display Owners Win
<http://www.macuser.com/legal/17_studio_display_owners_win.php?lsrc=murss>
Derik DeLong, MacUser

*** Young People Reluctant To Turn Down iPod Volume
<http://www.thewebnewsroom.com/?itemid=839>
Ashley Fodor, NYU Livewire

Despite warnings that iPods can cause hearing damage, young people are reluctant to turn down the volume.

*** Watching Their P's And Q's Over R&D
<http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/11/14/BUGMMMC1GJ1.DTL>
Tom Abate, San Francisco Chronicle

Google, Apple among best firms at turning cost-efficient research into products.

*** Retalers See Strong Mac Demand, Little Excitement Over Zune
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2234>
Prince McLean, AppleInsider

*** Apple Improves RAW Support For Digital Cameras
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/11/14/raw/index.php>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

The update improves RAW file format compatibility for Canon Digital Rebel XTi, 400D and Kiss X Digital camera models, the Nikon D80 and Pentax *ist DS camera.

*** iPods To Integrate With In-Flight Entertainment
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2006/11/14/etymotic/index.php>
Peter Cohen, Playlist

Six airlines will soon offer iPod seat connections to charge and power iPods in-flight, and to allow the iPods to display video content on seat-back monitors.

*** iPod Owners 'Thieves', Implies Universal Music Boss
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=16465>
Macworld UK

Universal boss wants a slice of player sales.

*** New And Improved
Heng-Cheong Leong

Quinn <http://www.simonhaertel.de/quinn>: Implementation of a popular falling-blocks game which, according to the Tetris Company, must not be named here.

AquilaCalendar <http://www.avcore-systems.com/>: One or three month tear off menu bar calendar.

MegaSeg <http://www.megaseg.com/>: The ultimate music scheduling, mixing, and library management software.

[Opinion]

*** Paul Vs. Apple, Round Three
<http://www.internet-nexus.com/2006/11/paul-vs-apple-round-three.htm>
Paul Thurrott, Internet Nexus

Ultimately, this reinforces the notion that it pays to complain when you've got a valid argument, especially when it comes to customer service.

*** Zune And iPod Is Not A PC Versus Mac Re-Run
<http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/7135/983/>
Stan Beer, ITWire

With Zune, Microsoft is trying to go up against a competitor who knows its market much better than Microsoft. Jos and company have proven many times over that they know the music and video business. IN this space, Microsoft is just a beginner and with Zune it shows.

*** Rants And Raves: iWant My iPhone
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,72115-0.html?tw=rss.index>
Wired News

There's a lot of demand out there for the right product and if Apple releases it, it will be a huge success.

[Review]

*** Benchmarks: The Unofficial Eight-Core Mac Pro
<http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/desktops/0,1000000968,39284700,00.htm>
Daniel A Begun, ZDNet UK

We might be ahead of Apple's product release cycle, and we've probably vioated our Mac Pro's warranty, but we just had to see what the Apple Mac Pro could do when populated with a pair of Intel's brand-new quad-core Xeon 5355 processors.

*** How To Write A Cocoa Web Server
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2006/11/14/how-to-write-a-cocoa-web-server.html>
Jurgen Schweizer, O'Reilly Network

*** Benchmarks: MacBooks See A Modest Core 2 Duo Boost
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/11/firstlooks/macbookbench/index.php>
James Galibraith, Macworld

Gains over Core Duo are slight, but new laptops outperform iBook, PowerBook.

[Sidetrack]

*** Truly Wireless, Truly Free
Heng-Cheong Leong

Steve Jobs may well be right that you don't use your Zune Wireless to pick up girls. Share your ear wax instead.

That doesn't mean that Apple isn't doing wireless iPod prototypes in their labs. But, I hope that all the bright engineers in Apple are not limiting themselves to only Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Charging batteries without wires <http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=17791&ch=infotech> is the way to go.

:-)

*** I Was Wrong: Apple Can Just Sit Still
Heng-Cheong Leong

I predicted Apple will have something new -- maybe an iPod Phone? -- by this time of the year, so as to steal the thunder from Microsoft's Zune. I was wrong, obviously. And I was wrong <http://digg.com/apple/CNN_does_not_like_Zune_but_loves_the_iPod_Shuffle> on more than one count, it seems.

Number 1: Apple does not need anything new to steal Microsoft's thunder.

Number 2: Even the iPod shuffle is better than Zune.

Number 3: Apple does not need to do anything. The media will do the thunder-stealing.

Who knew? :-)

*** Ignorance Is Not Bliss
Heng-Cheong Leong

Thailand's new ICT Minister <http://www.bangkokpost.com/Database/15Nov2006_data001.php>, as quoted by the Bangkok Post: The current government plan was a case of the blind leading the blind, as neither the people who are in charge no the people in industry seem to know the dangers of open source software. "With open source, there is no intellectual property. Anyone can use it and all your ideas become public domain. If nobody can make money from it, there will be no development and open source software quickly becomes outdated."

Looks like the government is still blind. Either that, or Microsoft is really fast in getting things done.

:-)

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft Sees Zune As Just Opening Act
<http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-6135131.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news>
Ina Fried, CNET News.com

Microsoft doesn't expect the Zune to knock the iPod off the stage, but it is counting on the new music player to at least get the company on the playbill.

*** Charging Batteries Without Wires
<http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=17791&ch=infotech>
Kate Greene, MIT Technology Review

New MIT research reveals a way to send wireless energy to mobile phones and laptops.

*** Part III: Philanthropy's New Protoype
<http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=17778&ch=biztech>
MIT Technology Review

The One Laptop per Child project wants to spread computer literacy throughout the world. But will it work, and is it the right strategy for closing the digital divide?

*** Attack Of The Bots
<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.11/botnet.html>
Scott Berinato, Wired

The latest threat to the net: autonomous software programs that combine forces to perpetrate mayhem, fraud, and espionage on a global scale. How one company fought the new internet mafia -- and lost.

[Internet]

*** Study Finds Web Isn't Teeming With Sex
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/rss/16009270.htm?source=rss&channel=siliconvalley_rss>
Elise Ackerman, San Jose Mercury News

A confidential analysis of internet search queries and a random sample of web pages taken from Google and Microsoft's giant internet indexes showed that only about 1 percent of all web pages contain sexually explicit material.

[World]

*** Al Jazeera's U.S. Face
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/14/AR2006111401363.html?nav=rss_email/components>
Paul Farhl, Washington Post

Former ABC newsman Dave Marash is getting used to explaining his job.

*** Losing Its Young To An American Dream
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/13/AR2006111301247.html?nav=rss_world>
Monte Reel, Washington Post

Getting to the United States is a coming-of-age tradition for the men of this family, and for many others in Brazil.

[Life]

*** School Districts With Officials But No Schools? New Jersey Has Them
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/15/nyregion/15school.html?ex=1321246800&en=a34591a74e19f15b&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Winnie Hu, New York Times

Essentially, they exist in name only, yet have staffs to schedule board meetings, record the minutes and collect tax dollars to pay tuition and transportation costs for their students.

*** The Math Moron
<http://www.slate.com/id/2152480/>
Emily Yoffe, Slate

I can barely add and subtract. Can I learn enough math in five moths to help my fifth-grader with her homework?

*** A Law That Says Man Can Have Only One 'Best Friend'
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/14/world/asia/14dogs.html?ex=1321160400&en=f0460211f4dd3c83&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Jim Yardley, New York Times

In Beijing, regulations limit households in eight districts to a single dog and forbid people from owning large dogs like golden retrievers and huskies.

*** The Trash Princess
<http://www.city-journal.org/html/16_4_urbanities-paris_hilton.html>
Kay S. Hymowitz, City Journal

Why Americans love to hate Paris Hilton.

[Expressions]

*** My Almost-Daughter, My Nearly-Was Son
<http://www.slate.com/id/2152061/>
Chris Forhan, Slate

*** Night Train To Frankfurt
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/articles/061120fi_fiction>
Marisa Silver, New Yorker

[Ramblings]

*** Who Is The Talk-Cock King?
Heng-Cheong Leong

Who should shoulder the most blame <http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=17791&ch=infotech>? The editor who assigned the assignment to ask a stupid question, the reporter who asked the stupid question, the consultant who answered the stupid question (hence allowing him to be quoted), or the news organisation that published an entire report based on that one stupid question?

[News]

*** Singapore Museum To Give Bush Glimpse Of Pan-Asian Art
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/15/AR2006111500149.html>
Wee Sui Lee, Reuters

What are the must-sees for a busy American tourist on a whistle-stop tour of Southeast Asia? For U.S. President George Bush and his wife Laura, they include Singapore's Asian Civilizations Museum.

*** 22 Centres With Internet Access To Govt Services Open To Public
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/241470/1/.html>
Wong Mun Wai, Channel NewsAsia

*** Singapore Still Reluctant About Handling Money Laundering With Indonesia
<http://www.tempointeractive.com/hg/ekbis/2006/11/15/brk,20061115-87750,uk.html>
TEMPO

Indonesia is finding it difficult to cooperate with Singapore in handling money laundering.

*** Press Digest - Singapore Newspapers - Nov 15
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/061114/3/44t63.html>
Reuters

The government yesterday rejected suggestions from some members of parliament that it should intervene or set parameters for investments made by Temasek Holdings.

*** Singapore Malays Support Umno Youth
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=229992>
Syed Azwan Syed Ali, Bernama

A Malay opposition political party in Singapore, Tuesday expressed support for the statement by Umno Youth chief Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein that there is no racial discrimination in Malaysia. The Pergerakan Pemuda Pertubuhan Kebangsaan Melayu Singapura (PKMS) said it agreed with Hishammuddin that discrimination did not occur in Malaysia, adding that it occurred in Singapore.

*** Ministry Wants Full Offset On GST Hike
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/154682.asp>
Tan Hui Leng, Today

The Health Ministry will ask for any increase in Goods and Services Tax (GST) on subsidised patients' medical costs to be fully offset, said Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan yesterday.

[Opinion]

*** Is Singapore A Democracy?
<http://advcongroup.blogspot.com/2006/11/is-singapore-democracy_15.html>
Cheng's Corner

It is a challenge to the government to oversee the transformation of the current political culture well into the future to ensure that the balance of economical and social achievement is well addressed.

*** Singapore Dollars Fueling JB
<http://www.malaysiakini.com/letters/59596>
Norman Fermandez, DAP Johor, Malaysiakini

Let there be no denial, it is Singapore and Singapore dollars that is fueling much of Johor Baru's economy.

*** Excuse Me, Are You An Elite? The Brutal Truth Behind The Hazing Of Wee Shu Min
<http://perspectiveunlimited.blogspot.com/2006/10/excuse-me-are-you-elite-brutal-truth.html>
Perspective Unlimited

Nothing breaks up the elite structure like competition. We should embrace it.

*** Saving Our Aged From The Golden Arches
<http://kwayteowman.blogspot.com/2006/11/saving-our-aged-from-golden-arches.html>
The Kway Teow Man

*** Singapore's Interest In UMNO-Proceedings?
<http://blueblueheeler.blogspot.com/2006/11/spores-interest-in-umno-proceedings.html>
Blueheeler

PKMS is just being opportunistic in wanting to get more support from Singapore Malays.

*** Evils Of Welfare In Singapore
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2006/11/evils-of-welfare-in-singapore.html>
Diary Of A Singapore Mind

That is why they need to control the internet, eliminate people like CSJ and ban FEER, because there is only one TRUTH in Singapore and the truth is that PAP always work for your best interest.

*** Duty-Free Singapore Plans For A Tax-Free World
<http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601039&refer=columnist_mukherjee&sid=arrHCbyRCzhc>
Andy Mukherjee, Bloomberg

Singapore is preparing for a future in which national authorities have competed away their sovereign power to tax incomes. Such a world might be upon us sooner than we think.

*** Random Thoughts About Singaporean Youths
<http://birdsdontshit.blogspot.com/2006/11/random-thoughts-about-singaporean.html>
Tan Wah Pheow, Birds Don't Shit

*** Calling All Singaporeans For More Suggestions On The Proposed GST Hike And More Help For The Needy
<http://leongszehian.blogspot.com/2006/11/calling-all-singaporeans-for-more.html>
Leong Sze Hian

*** The GST Increase
<http://eversooften.blogspot.com/2006/11/gst-increase_14.html>
Ever So Often

It seem more prudent to mitigate the regressive nature of GST by exempting basic necessities from it so that the lower-income households would not have to bear a greater burden of taxation when they are already struggling to make ends meet.

*** Self-Serving Gahmen
<http://mybitchingarea.blogspot.com/2006/11/self-serving-gahmen.html>
My Bitching Area

People continue to vote in Mr Chiam and Mr Low because they listen and care (things the PAP doesn't do).

*** GST Hike Will Crush Poorer Singaporeans
<http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2006/11/gst-hike-will-crush-poorer.html>
Chee Soon Juan, Singapore Democratic Party, Singapore Election Watch

*** Can We Trust Leader Who Says GST Will Be Used To Close Gaps?
<http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2006/11/can-we-trust-leader-who-says-gst-will.html>
Robert Teh, Singapore Election Watch

The leaders should be checked by a more objective and powerful Ombudsman and be continuously subjected to accountability or due process.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]