[MyAppleMenu] May 26, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri May 26 13:15:00 EDT 2006

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052502059.html>
John Ward Anderson, Washington Post

*** Digital Music Players Headlining More Wedding Receptions
<http://www.investors.com/breakingnews.asp?journalid=38677760&brk=1>
Kristen Gerencher, Investor's Business Daily

*** Follow-Up To Apple Store Proposal (She Said Yes!)
<http://www.kottke.org/06/05/apple-proposal-followup>
Jason Kottke

Uschi couldn't be happier to announce that she said yes to the proposal.

*** DivX 6.5 Features First Official Player For Mac
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/05/25/divx/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

The new version of the video conversion and playback software features the first "official" release of DivX for Mac player, which lets Mac users watch DivX-encoded video either in a web browser or from the desktop.

*** Oral Folk Tales Of Mac History
<http://emperor.tidbits.com/webx?13@495.s7EWbCAUikp@.3c4f5c5c>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

[Opinion]

*** Apple+Nike. Apple+Dilution.
<http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2006/05/applenike_appledilution_1.html>
Francois Joseph de Kermadec, O'Reilly Network

I'm inclined to think a swoosh and an Apple were not meant to marry.

*** iTunes' Next Big Step
<http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2006/05/itunes_next_big_step.html>
Francois Joseph de Kermadec, O'Reilly Network

*** Apple Laptops: Good, Cheap, Fast -- Pick Three
<http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000591.html>
Steve McConnell, Coding Horror

The current crop of x86 Apple laptops are cheaper than nearly every other x86 laptop of equivalent spec. That's amazing.

*** Macs And PCs Warily Eye Each Other Over The 'Net
<http://q.queso.com/archives/001938>
Jason Levine, Q Daily News

As things turn out, it's much more difficult to setup a Mac-to-PC video chat, and for it to match the quality of a pure Mac/iSight chat.

*** Biting The Apple At Last
<http://marthabarnette.blogspot.com/2006/05/biting-apple-at-last.html>
Martha Barnette, Orts

*** Easy Mac PVR Options
<http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/5/25/4120>
Tanya Klowden, Ars Technica

*** MacBook Mysteries
<http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2006/05/macbook_mysteries.html>
Todd Ogaawara, O'Reilly Network

*** Selling PowerSchool A Mistake
<http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/selling_powerschool_would_be_a_mistake/>
Dennis Sellers, Macsimum

*** MacBook's Vent Blocked
<http://gertstahl.blogspot.com/2006/05/macbooks-vent-blocked.html>
Gert Stahl Sheffield, G-Stahl.com

I found that the vent under the screen is covered with a piece of laminate. I removed it and surprise, my fans went quiet.

*** Is There Room For A Really Cheap Mac?
<http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/is-there-room-for-a-really-cheap-mac/>
Chris Seibold, Apple Matters

The existence of a $100 laptop does give rise to the thought.

*** Behind The Video: Star Wars MacBook
<http://a.wholelottanothing.org/2006/05/behind_the_vide.html>
Matthew Haughey, A Whole Lotta Nothing

*** Lest We Forget
<http://stevenf.com/mt/2006/05/lest_we_forget.php>
Stevenf

Much as I love to trot out my list of Mac OS X Finder gripes, I was thinking today about how quickly I mentally buried my least favorite things about hte Classic Mac OS.

[Sidetrack]

*** Wireless Goodness
Heng-Cheong Leong

No, I don't want Wi-Fi in my iPod. I probably don't even want Bluetooth in my iPod.

What I really want, dear Apple, is wireless electricity that is safe so that I can charge the battery without wires. Go work on it, Steve Jobs.

Thank you.

:-)

*** Rumor Today: Nano Plays Video
Heng-Cheong Leong

T3 <http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/entertainment/mp3_player/revamped_ipod_nano_incoming>: Rumour has it Aple's micro music player is going back to the drawing board, as the iPod giant prepares to squeeze video into the pocket-sized marvel.

*** Controversy About Our "Web 2.0" Service Mark
<http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2006/05/controversy_about_our_web_20_s.html>
O'Rilly Radar

To protect the brand we've established with our two Web 2.0 Conferences, we're taking steps to register "Web 2.0" as our service mark, for conferences.

*** Web 2.0 Architecture Of Participation Belied By Web 2.0 Tussle
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/micro-markets/?p=48>
Donna Bogatin, ZDNet

*** Pick A Format (Any Format)
<http://nick.typepad.com/blog/2006/05/pick_a_format_a.html>
Nick Bradbury

I keep running across sites that offer the same exact content as an RSS feed and an Atom feed. What's the point?

*** Thriving Wikipedia Pronounced Dead By Critic
<http://citmedia.org/blog/2006/05/25/thriving-wikipedia-pronounced-dead-by-critic/>
Dan Gillmor, Center For Citizen Media

wikipedia is not, and has never been, perfect.

*** A Seattle School Where Extra Kindness Is Part Of The Curriculum
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/26/education/26hutch.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
Jessica Kowal, New York Times

Hutch School, not far from downtown Seattle, is perhaps the best school that parents hope a child never attends. There is one criterion for admission: someone in a student's family is receiving a bone-marrow transplant for a life-threatening type of leukemia, lymphoma or other blood-related disease.

*** Dirty Old Women
<http://newyorkmetro.com/news/features/17064/>
Ariel Levy, New York

Teenage boys havve always lusted after attractive teachers, but what happens when the teachers lust after the boys?

*** Chain Reaction: Do Bookstores Have A Future?
<http://www.villagevoice.com/books/0621,collins,73282,10.html>
Paul Collins, Village Voice

The battle is as much about culture as it is about cash.

*** The Death Of Fun
<http://www.sfbg.com/entry.php?entry_id=643>
Amanda Witherell, San Francisco Bay Guardian

With booze bans, noise crackdowns, excessive permit fees, and suburban-style sensibilities, San Francisco officials are threatening to kill the party spirit.

*** Las Vegas Sands Wins Bid To Build Singapore's First Integrated Resort
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/210501/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Las Vegas Sands has hit the jackpot by winning the bid to build Singapore's first integrated resort, to be called The Marina Bay Sands.

*** Sands' Integrated Resort Offers Wide Spectrum Of Experiences
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/210537/1/.html>
Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia

*** Singaproe To Name Winning Bid Of FIrst IR Licence On Friday
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/210450/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

[Opinion]

*** A Case For Double Standards
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/entertainment/view/210434/1/.html>
Felix Cheong, Today

If The Da Vinci Code were a fictional story about how another religion was founded on a lie, would it have been similarly allowed for screening in Singapore? Probably not.

*** No, Ike Don't See
<http://jadeite.ketsugi.com/2006/05/26/no-ike-dont-see/>
love/fiction

What really, really pisses me off is that the gahrermen readily hands out dispensations and deferments to their own scholars to go study abroad, but won't allow Ike to defer his own NS.

*** Banned In Singapore
<http://www.wormulon.net/index.php?/archives/1056-Banned-in-Singapore.html>
wormulon.net

Malaysian newspapers?

*** Concentric Model Of Obligations / The Social Versus The Political
<http://heavenly-sword.blogspot.com/2006/05/concentric-model-of-obligations-social.html>
Heavenly Sword

This incomensurability is not something that any person can resolve, because the problem resides in the very nature of any society that is not made up of clones.

*** In The Morning Light
<http://infinite-possibilities.blogspot.com/2006/05/in-morning-light.html>
Possibilities

We remember -- not because we have to, but because it's the right thing to do.

*** No GO For POSB Card, No Thanks
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,395605,00.html?>
Tang Yi Ling, Straits Times

POSB had tried to make me take up a credit card in an unethical manner.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]