[MyAppleMenu] May 22, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon May 22 13:15:00 EDT 2006

*** Apple Strikes Back At Creative On Seven Patents
<http://www.techweb.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=188100711>
Laurie Sullivan, TechWeb

Apple has added several patents to its original court filings in its countersuit against Creative Labs.

*** Apple Losing Its Polish In France
<http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/05/21/business/lobbyside.php>
Victoria Shannon, International Herald Tribune

*** Apple Denies The Closing Of Darwin x86 Kernel
<http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=14668>
Thom Holwerda, OSNews.com

[Opinion]

*** Darthbook
<http://airbagindustries.com/archives/009268.php>
Airbag

The MacBook feels solid, more like a Powerbook than an iBook ever did. Quality exudes from this product from the time you pick it up and on through it's use.

*** How To Move Your iTunes Library From A PC To A Mac
<http://www.rc3.org/2006/05/how_to_move_you.php>
Rafe Colburn, rc3.org

Moving the audio files is really easy, but I didn't want to lose my ratings, play counts and playlists.

*** My iPod Is Loaded With Many Goodies, Which I Don't Know How To Use
<http://www.newbernsj.com/SiteProcessor.cfm?Template=/GlobalTemplates/Details.cfm&StoryID=27960&Section=Local>
Otis Gardner, New Bern Sun Journal

I'm too old to be good at this stuff. Where's a 10-year-old when you need one?

*** Microsoft's Lack Of Action WIll Slow Podcasting Growth
<http://www.geeknewscentral.com/archives/006096.html>
Geek News Central

We are approaching 1 year of podcast integration into iTunes and yet to this date Microsoft is so completely and utterly out of the game that their actions will ensure the iPod and Apple line gain market share within this community.

*** All Hail The Middleman
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB114790032590355799-Bu94BDfuNC8zvTB5YCCMSyEyBZM_20070521.html?mod=rss_free>
Jason Fry, Wall Street Journal

Disintermediation? Bah to a Buzzword: This digital life is full of middlemen.

*** Microsoft Pitches Pay-As-You-Go PCs
<http://news.com.com/2100-1003_3-6074589.html?part=rss&tag=6074589&subj=news>
Ina Fried, CNET News.com

Want to write a Word document? Pay a few pennies. Want to download some digital photos? Pay a few more.

*** Voice Encryption May Draw U.S. Scrutiny
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/22/technology/22privacy.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
John Markoff, New York Times

*** UK Law Will Criminalise IT Pros, Say Experts
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/business/legal/0,39020651,39270045,00.htm>
Graeme Wearden and Tom Espiner, ZDNet UK

Security experts fear that the UK government is on track to outlaw the supply of network security tools, and even scripting languages such as Perl.

*** The End Of Mass Media Is Greatly Exaggerated
<http://evans.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2006/5/21/1973758.html>
Mark Evans

[World]

*** This Is A Saudi Textbook. (After The Intolerance Was Removed.)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/19/AR2006051901769.html>
Nina Shea, Washington Post

A review of a sample of official Saudi textbooks for Islamic studies used during the current academic year reveals that, despite the Saudi government's statements to the contrary, an ideology of hatred toward Christians and Jews and Muslims who do not follow Wahhabi doctrine remains in this area of the public school system.

[Tech & Science]

*** How Einstein Struggled With His Grand Theory - And The Maths
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,,1780223,00.html>
James Randerson, The Guardian

Unseen papers on sale for $1.5m show scientific genius's failures together with his lighter side.

[Life]

*** My Son, The Stranger
<http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2006/05/22/lamott_fight_son/index_np.html>
Anne Lamott, Salon

The sweet boy I raised is gone, replaced by a sullen, scornful teenager. It may be a phase, but it's breaking my heart.

*** PM Lee Announces Changes To Cabinet Line-Up
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/209664/1/.html>
Hasnita A Majid, Channel NewsAsia

Most of the changes involve new or additional portfolios for the younger Ministers who entered parliament following the 2001 general election.

*** Singapore Hlpes Myanmar Continue To Make Progress
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=198936>
Bernama

Singapore hopes Myanmar will build on the visit by the United Nations Under-Secretary Ibrahim Gambari on Saturday and work closely with the international community, including the UN and Asean to make further progress.

*** No Blanket Nod For Exclusive Pay-TV Deals: MDA
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,394627,00.html?>
Bryan Lee, Straits Times

*** Hundreds More Camera On Streets To Bolster Security
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,394727,00.html?>
Goh Chin Lian, Straits Times

Apart from a check against terrorism, new CCTV schemes are aimed at crime, traffic problems.

*** Creative Sentencing?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/119764.asp>
Thomas Koshy, Today

Community Courts may set a marker for other courts to follow.

[Opinion]

*** Why Contest Ang Mo Kio GRC?
<http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2006/05/why-contest-ang-mo-kio-grc.html>
Goh Meng seng, Singapore Alternatives

It is really a win-win situation for us all, including WP and PAP. Of course, we will still have to solve the problem of "walkover ministers" and "walkover MPs" but at the very least, we do not have a "walkover Prime Minister" to start with.

*** Schools Should Be Transparent About Their Fundings
<http://cygig.blogspot.com/2006/05/schools-should-be-transparent-about.html>
Zombie Destinee

*** Sunday Ride
<http://tisnartni.blogspot.com/2006/05/sunday-ride.html>
In Transit

Then came the best part of the route, which was to cycle through Neo Tiew. I always enoy cycling through this road because on either side of the road throughout, it is either farms or verdant grasslands inhabiting the landscape. I'm not sure if there is anywhere else in Singapore where you can find such idyllic, pasture-li,ke environment for a considerable stretch.

*** General Election: I Swear This Is The Last...
<http://singaporegovt.blogspot.com/2006/05/general-election-i-swear-this-is-last.html>
Singapore Politiics

After Lim Boon Heng transferred his NTUC portfolio to Lim Swee Say, he is practicaly the Minister of nothing. In addition, he scored some spectacular "own-goals" by setting an 80% winning target for PM Lee's Ang Mo Kio GRC prior to the polling. However, he is the chairman of the PAP Central Executive Committee, which is a powerful position itself.

*** Singapore Urban Legends Part Deux
<http://akikonomu.blogspot.com/2006/05/singapore-urban-legends-part-deux.html>
Illusio

*** My Government Or My People?
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2006/05/my-government-or-my-people.html>
My Singapore News

When would the Singaproeans said enough is enough, that no government should ever mistreat them like trash or to be trashed around?

*** Children Treat National Library Like A Playground
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,394580,00.html?>
Abhishek Srivastava, Straits Times

*** No Excuse For Bad Design In Immigration And Checkpoints Authority Machines
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,394585,00.html?>
Soo Kwok Heng, Straits Times

*** Singapore Urban Legends
<http://singabloodypore.blogspot.com/2006/05/singapore-urban-legends.html>
Singabloodypore

There was no account of Paplee issuing threats to find out who voted for whom.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]