[MyAppleMenu] May 20, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat May 20 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** Is The Time Still Ripe To Pick Apple?
<http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/05/19/yourmoney/mapple.php>
Conrad de Aenlle, International Herald Tribune

*** Fans Storm Apple's 5th Ave Store
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/mac/0,70950-0.html?tw=rss.index>
Sean Captain, Wired News

"Steve, you're hot!"

*** iPod Vending Latest Move For Federated
<http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2006/05/15/daily55.html?jst=b_ln_hl>
Lisa Biank Fasig, Cincinnati Business Courier

Come fall, iPod will be the apple of Macy's eye. The chain's parent, Federated Department Stores Inc. is installing large vending machines that will dispense the Apple-made music players at 180 stores.

*** Sonic Arts Research Centre: Valhalla For The Human Ear
<http://www.apple.com/pro/music/sonicarts/>
David Levy, Apple

"Because of its intuitive appeal to the creative mind, the great majority of sophisticated music and acoustic design applications were developed around the Mac."

*** Tom Salta: Battle Score
<http://www.apple.com/pro/music/salta/>
Bija Gutoff, Apple

"When I find out you can't do something in a different program, I scratch my head and say, 'Really? You can't?' I guess that's why so many people are switching to Logic."

[Opinion]

*** iPod's End Suggests "End-To-End" Model's Limits
<http://blogs.salon.com/0000014/2006/05/19.html#a1040>
Scott Rosenberg, Salon

There's only one supplier; your choices are limited.

*** Apple Laptops Aren't For The Lap Top
<http://www.macuser.com/intel-macs/apple_laptops_arent_for_the_la.php>
Scott Silverman, MacUser

"Do not leave the bottom of your MacBook Pro in contact with your lap or any surface of your body for extended periods."

*** Steering Away From The MacBook
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/gameroom/2006/05/macbookgames/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

Already some games are being released that implicitly exclude the Mac mini, and by extension, the MacBook, from their supported system requirements.

[Review]

*** New MacBook More Than A Better iBook
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/personaltechnology/2003007070_ptmacc20.html>
Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times

Those expecting an underpowered replacement for Apple's iBook lineup should have a pleasant surprise.

*** 17-Inch MacBook Pro
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/05/reviews/17mbpro/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Henry Norr, Macworld

The 17-inch MacBook Pro is a fabulous machine for people who can afford it -- and who conclude that its high performance, huge screen, and impressive versatility justify its size and weight.

[Sidetrack]

*** Will You Marry Me?
Heng-Cheong Leong

Somebody discovers Apple's camera. Somebody discovers camera is taking time-lapsed movie. Somebody proposes to his girlfriend via Apple's time-lapsed movie.

Somebody discover somebody proposing via Apple's time-lapsed movie and post details on digg <http://digg.com/apple/5am_%3A%3A_Inventive_dude_proposes_on_the_Apple_timelapse_>.

*** Did Creative Blew It, Even Before The War Started?
Heng-Cheong Leong

No, I'm not talking about Creative's stupid patent lawsuit. (How can Creative even be surprised that Apple has a few defensive patents of its own?)

No, but there is this little snippet in today's Straits Times, which is not available online:

"About five years ago, Apple reportedly approached Creative to license tghe latter's technology for MP3 players and also suggested the companies join forces to spin off Creative's MP3 player assets, but both its offers were rebuffed."

"A few months later, Apple unveiled its line of iPod players, and has since claimed a dominating 70 per cent of the US market, squelching Creative's ambitions."

*** US Government Restricts China PCs
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4997288.stm>
BBC News

The US State Department says the 16,000 computers it bought from a Chinese firm with links to the Beijing government will not be used for classified work.

*** Fat, 40 And Fired
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/family/story/0,,1778868,00.html>
Nigel Marsh, The Guardian

"So I get twice the husband, half the income and at the end of the year we'll both have to work in Woolworths?" "Bascially." "If we do this, will you be less of an arsehole?"

[Ramblings]

*** Quantum Leap In Productivity?
Heng-Cheong Leong

Lim Swee Say is asking the low income to "make quantum leap in producitivty <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/209227/1/.html>" in order to move ahead. Great, let's ask your favorite food court's dish clearing auntie how exactly is she going to clear "quantum leap" number of tables?

I guess most folks' answer will simply be either OT or Second Job.

Is that all NTUC can do?

[News]

*** Singapore's Own Toy Museum Opens
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/209320/1/.html>
Hasnita A Majid, Channel NewsAsia

*** Help On Way For Children Who Are Not In Pre-School
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,394225,00.html?>
Maria Almenoar, Straits Times

The Education Ministry plans to identify low-income families whose children do not attend pre-school and work with variou sagencies to get them enrolled.

[Opinion]

*** Art And Social Status
<http://sieteocho7-8.blogspot.com/2006/05/art-and-social-status.html>
Seksi Matashutyrmouf

Art is me, and I am art.

*** Singapore Cars In Malaysia
<http://vanillalouisvuitton.blogspot.com/2006/05/singapore-cars-in-malaysia.html>
Vanilla

My friend escaped a possible death sentence should that package be drugs. But the next victim may not be so lucky.

*** How To Ensure NRIC Copy Is Not Misused?
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,394258,00.html?>
Henry Lim Li Shun, Straits Times

*** Time To Take Stock Of Housewives' Economic Worth
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,394294,00.html?>
Euston Quah, Straits Times

*** How Does The Government Know How Malays Island-Wide Voted? Singapore Should Be For-And-By All Singaporeans
<http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2006/05/how-does-government-know-how-malays.html>
Jeffrey Ho, Singapore Election Watch

[Entertainment]

*** Le Restaurant At Crazy Horse Paris, Singapore
<http://reviewsbyp.blogspot.com/2006/05/le-restaurant-at-crazy-horse-paris.html>
Reviews By P

The portions were fine-dining sized (read: small) and tasty but there wasn't really anything grand about it except probably for the price (S$120 for the whole meal) but plus points for the plating.

*** Crazy Horse Paris, Singapore
<http://reviewsbyp.blogspot.com/2006/05/crazy-horse-paris-singapore.html>
Reviews By P

The show was pure eye-candy and because of the fantastic lights, most of the time, I couldn't even tell if the performers were nude. The theater is pitch black and the playful lights are perfectly choreographed with the dancers such that you think you're in a dream.