[MyAppleMenu] May 15, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon May 15 13:15:00 EDT 2006

*** Apple, Softbank iPod Mobile Plans In Doubt
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=14638>
Martyn Williams, Macworld UK

Softbank has released a statement denying claims that it and Apple are developing mobile phones that can play songs downloaded from Apple's iTunes Music Store.

*** Andy Hertzfeld Talks Mac At Google
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=14641>
Macworld UK

In the video, original Macintosh development team member Andy Hertzfeld discussed his time at Apple and since, and reveals some new tidbits.

*** Armed With An Apple Computer, Entrepreneur Makes His Mark In Lansing
<http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060515/NEWS03/605150305/1004/news03>
Jeremy W. Steele, Lansing State Journal

*** Selling Sound: Bose Knows
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2006/tc20060515_803079.htm?chan=innovation_innovation+%2B+design_innovation+and+design+lead>
Olga Kharif, BusinessWeek

Partly thanks to an alliance with Apple, it's already one of the most trusted brands in the U.S. Where does it go from here?

*** Fifty-Quid Bloke Gives Way To MP3 Woman
<http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1774789,00.html>
Owen Gibson, The Guardian

Women using digital downloads to circumvent intimidating record shop assistants are driving a resurgence in music sales, according to research.

[Opinion]

*** 'Web Kit' Vs. 'WebKit'
<http://daringfireball.net/2006/05/web_kit_vs_webkit>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

Question for Apple: Is it "Web Kit" or "WebKit"?

*** How Much Abuse Is An Apple User Willing To Take?
<http://www.technologyevangelist.com/2006/05/how_much_abuse_is_an.html>
Technology Evangelist

It is impressive that Apple was able to switch to a completely new processor so quickly, but at what cost?

*** iAy Caramba! MacBook Is Hot
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2006/05/15/macbook/>
Gabriella Papic, Salon

When I smelled bacon wafting from my new computer, I was thrilled -- until I realized it was the smell of my thighs igniting.

*** What My iBook makes Me Think About Web 2.0
<http://www.stevendkrause.com/academic/blog/?p=568>
Steven D. Krause

[Review]

*** 20in Apple iMac
<http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/index.cfm?reviewid=338>
PC Advisor

[Sidetrack]

*** Think Different
Heng-Cheong Leong

Rory Hamilton <http://www.we-make-money-not-art.com/archives/008490.php>: I love the iPod shuffle for its integration with a mental model created by the earlier iPods. It's that building on success but not being afraid to do something that others might consider a step back that's so great.

*** Apple vs Apple? They Can't Even Get The Right Guy, Let Alone The Right Logo...
Heng-Cheong Leong

Watch the video <http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=386136&in_page_id=1770&in_page_id=1770> of how morons in a hurry catch the wrong guy for an interview...

*** Death On MySpace
<http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1775013,00.html>
Tim Jonze, The Guardian

When 17-year-old Ana Svidersky was stabbed to death in a small-town American restaurant, it was a tragedy for those who knew here. But then friends decided to compose an online tribute, and suddenly, thousands of people were mourning a girl they had never met.

*** Me, Me, Me
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB114727164857848939-lafrmCCJ_HIUSOBFoT_j7nG_Fqg_20070514.html?mod=rss_free>
Jessica Mintz, Wall Street Journal

The personalized newspaper was dreamed up two decades ago. We're getting closer and closer.

*** Could The Future Of Storage Be All Wet?
<http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;193774540;fp;16;fpid;0>
Lucas Mearian, InfoWorld

Using a piece of wire 100,000 times thinner than a hair and water, researchers at several leading universities are developing a new data storage medium that also has data transfer rates that are as fast as RAM.

*** Searching For A Sense Of Meaning In Gifts
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/14/AR2006051400910.html>
Shankar Vedantam, Washington Post

Recognizing that recipients are often unhappy with gifts, givers are increasingly enclosing receipts with gifts to allow for exchanges. All this is causing economists, psychologists and philosophers to scratch their heads.

*** What Happened To The Fotune Michael Jackson Made?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/14/business/yourmoney/14michael.html>
Timotny L. O'Brien, New York Times

The arc of Mr. Jackson's career, and his management of his business and financial affairs, tracks some of the timeworn truisms about the realities of the entertainment industry and those who inhabit its upper tiers: a child star unwittingly beholden to others who control his bank account; a more mature adult who is savvy about packaging and marketing himself but who grows increasingly undisciplined about his spending; and, finally, a reclusive caricature locked inside a financial and emotional fantasyland of his own making.

*** Mother Of All Surrogates
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/14/magazine/14lives.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
Daphne Merkin, New York Times

She is leaving us, as sure as day turns to night, and nothing on earth will keep her here, not all the money -- or love, for that matter -- in the world.

*** Politicians, Economists, Teachers... Why Are They So Desperate To Make Us Happy?
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2006/05/07/do0706.xml&sSheet=/portal/2006/05/07/ixportal.html>
Frank Furedi, Telegraph

Freud may have been a little cynical when he suggested that his objective was to "convert neurotic misery into ordinary unhappiness." But he understood that true happiness was an ideal that we pursue but rarely achieve.

*** Did Temasek Pay Too Much?
<http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/15May2006_biz04.php>
Umesh Pandey, Bangkok Post

The first-quarter performances of Shin Corp and it ssubsidaiaries have raised questions as to whether Singapore's cash-rich Temasek Holdings may have overpaid for its investment.

*** New Newton Food Centre Gets That Old Colonial Charm
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,393093,00.html?>
Arti Mulchand, Straits Times

It reopens on July 1 after $4.8m upgrade that is a throwback to bygone era.

*** Two Factors That Swayed Aljunied Votes
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/118413.asp>
Ansley Ng, Today

They were the Gomez saga and the perception that the PAP was aiming for clean sweep: Yeo.

[Opinion]

*** Before SMRT Raises Its Fare Again
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2006/05/before-smrt-raises-its-fare-again.html>
My Singapore News

*** Singaporeans' Top Concerns: Bread And Butter Rather Than Political Issues
<http://leilamagazine6.blogspot.com/2006/05/singaporeans-top-concerns-bread-and.html>
Abdulla Al-Madani, Lelia Magazine

*** A Common Thread In Singapoeans: Innovation, Outsourcing & Service Culture
<http://www.sgentrepreneurs.com/2006/05/common-thread-in-singaporeans.html>
Singapore Entrepreneurs

We sacrifice quality for efficiency or speed, but quality and efficiency are not mutually exclusive.

*** SG - The Copycat Nation
<http://singapura.isthereason.com/?p=684>
UB Singapura

*** An Incomplete Mandate
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/118441.asp>
Tay Sok Khoon, Today

*** How About A 5 1/2-Year Passport?
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,393150,00.html?>
Peter C.N. Hardstone, Straits Times

[Entertainment]

*** My Singapore Fling
<http://feed.insnews.org/v-cgi/feeds.cgi?feedid=145&story_id=1833432>
Desmond Morris, INS News

On around-the-world cruise, and having been here twice before, I decide to forego the city tour and instead head straight for my favourite attraction, the Long Bar at the Raffles Hotel.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]