[MyAppleMenu] Mar 21, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Mar 21 13:15:00 EST 2006

*** iPod Hi-Fi And Software To Help Offset Intel Transition Woes
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1607>
Katie Marsal, AppleInsider

ANalysts for MorganStanley believe volatility in Apple's shares as a result of recent component supply chain and NPD data is overblown and that the new iPod Hi-Fi and other software products should offset perceived downside that may result from the company's Intel transition.

*** French On To Something With iTunes Law, Say Analysts
<http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6051495.html>
Reuters

Analysts say the French are on to something that the rest of the world has yet to figure out: It needs to set rules for this new market now or risk one or two U.S. companies taking control of online access to music, video and TV.

[Opinion]

*** The Backlash Blog Entry
<http://embee.wordpress.com/2006/03/21/the-backlash-blog-entry/>
Hipster Union

Here, for your edification, is Mr Pogue's amazingly prompt and comprehensive retort.

*** France Will Let MSFT Play iTunes -- But What About Open Source Players?
<http://www.boingboing.net/2006/03/21/france_will_let_msft.html>
Cory Doctorow, Boing Boing

This is a good step, but for me, it leaves the big question hanging; will Apple and Microsoft have to license their players to free and open source software authors?

*** iPod Addiction Goes Academic
<http://www.pittnews.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/03/21/441fa16fc2438>
The Pitt News

The academic iPod invasion has one flaw: cost.

*** MagSafe Being Withheld From Third Parties?
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=159>
Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet

*** Finding Front Row's Future
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macword/2006/03/frontrowfuture/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jason Snell, Macworld

Right now, Front Row is a very simple product, and I say that as a compliment. But Front Row needs to grow to be more functional and flexible, without sacrificing too much of its basic simplicity.

*** XP On Your Mac? Not So Fast!
<http://mattbator.net/?p=76>
Mattbator dot net

The fabled XP on Mac hack lacks the necessary driver support to control the cooling fans (more importantly, to even turn them on).

[Review]

*** Broader iPhoto Can Do A Lot For Your Image
<http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/computing/personaltech/20060320-9999-mz1b20macint.html>
David L. Hart, San Diego Union-Tribune

*** How To Run Windows On AN Intel Mac With Q
<http://www.beatnikpad.com/archives/2006/03/20/windows-mac-q>
BeatnikPad

Q is an open source Cocoa port based on QEMU. It's bascially an x86 emulator that allows you to install Windows, Linux, or any other x86-based operating system onto a special disk image file and run it from inside of a Mac OS X window.

*** The Print Shop For Mac 2.0: New Layout Tools Streamline Simple Print Projects, But Fall Short For Long Documents
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/03/reviews/printshop2/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Akin, Macworld

This is a great program for anyone who wants to create fun print projects for home, school, or small business.

*** Quinn 3.1.2
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/03/reviews/quinn312/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

Quinn isn't Tetris reinvented, but it is a solid OS X game with some great embellishments. Best of all, it doesn't cost a dime.

*** Mac Mini Series: HD Playback Issues
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/03/firstlooks/minifinal/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

[Sidetrack]

*** Apple, It's Time To Influence Britain's Economy
Heng-Cheong Leong

The iPod is now part of Great Britain's Inflation Index <http://www.guardian.co.uk/britain/article/0,,1735664,00.html>.

*** How Do I Blog?
Heng-Cheong Leong

I was surprised this morning when my wife IM-ed me at work, asking: how do I start blogging?

Watch this space for links to recipes and cooking tips, Real Soon Now. :-)

*** BBC To Work With IT Giants On Radical Website Overhaul
<http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1735728,00.html>
Owen Gibson, The Guardian

*** Creation Is Not Control
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1938779,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Peter Coffee, eWeek

Content users also have rights that deserve protection.

*** In The Workplace, Every Bleeping Word Can Show Your Rank
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB114290487212903638-QgtRaGiFCr_yGJkAsXCvLHqrhLg_20070320.html?mod=rss_free>
Jared Sandberg, Wall Street Journal

Profanity is a barometer of corporate culture because cussing up a blue streak may be taboo to some companies and expected in others.

*** Where The Roads End
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-barron20mar20,0,2773580.story?coll=la-home-commentary>
T.A> Barron, Los Angeles Times

I feel strangely hopeful for our forests because there is, in most of us, a yearning to follow a 10-year-old into terrain where there are no roads at all. There is also a yearning to know, even if we cannot go there ourselves, that such untrammeled places still exist. And above all, there is a yearning to cherish forever the roadless realms of our hearts.

*** Airline Workers Are Left At gate, Mourning A Perk
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/21/business/21perk.html?hp&ex=1142917200&en=2e5c666673ed5f59&ei=5094&partner=homepage>
Jeff Bailey, New York Times

Through deep pay cuts, shrunken pensions and longer hours, airline employees who survived the endless rounds of layoffs knew they could still count on one thing: free flights. But that perk, a touch of jet-setting glamour is an increasingly dreary line of work, is now much harder to use because so many flights are full.

*** Freud In Our Midst
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11904222/site/newsweek/>
Jerry Adler, Newsweek

On his 150th birthday, the architect of therapeutic culture is an inescapable force. Why Freud -- modern history's most debunked doctor -- captivates us even now.

*** Fear Factor
<http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/060327fa_fact>
Nicholas Lemann, New Yorker

Cable is not a medium for providing information, and it is not going to become one anytime soon. Cable is the world that Bill O'Reilly made. National politics will change long before that does.

[GE06]

*** Mixed Feelings About Goh Effect
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/107975.asp>
Ansley Ng, Today

Hougang and Potong Pasir voters weigh their choices.

*** Opposition Wards' Residents Believe PAP Has 50% Chance Of Regaining Seats
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/198883/1/.html>
May Wong, Channel NewsAsia

Residents in the opposition wards of Hougang and Potong Pasir believe the PAP has a 50 percent chance in winning these two seats back.

*** Why PAP Is Raising The Stakes In Hougang, Potong Pasir
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/107990.asp>
Tor Ching Li, Today

It is not just about two seats, it's about strategy. Political observers said that the ruling party's move to get Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong to anchor its campaign in the opposition strongholds of Potong Pasir and Hougang, was linked to its opponents' growing ambititions.

*** No Electronic Voting Yet
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/107945.asp>
Jasmine Yin, Today

This decision is largely due to concerns over costs and technology, the head of the Elections Department Lee Seng Lup told Today.

[News]

*** RI Govt Asked Not To Link RI-Singapore Extradition Talks WIth Mily Negotiations
<http://www.antara.co.id/en/seenws/?id=10362>
Antara

*** Malaysia Official Says Bird Flu Spread Nationwide Possible
<http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/afx/2006/03/21/afx2609125.html>
AFX

A Malaysian deputy minister warned that the deadly bird flu virus may spread nationwide after two more outbreaks were reported in a northern state.

*** Thais March On Singapore Embassy In Thousands
<http://in.today.reuters.com/news/NewsArticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2006-03-21T103216Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_India-241500-1.xml>
Reuters

*** Consumer Boycott Gaining Momentum
<http://www.manager.co.th/IHT/ViewNews.aspx?NewsID=9490000037988>
Lan Anh Nguyen, IHT Thai Day

Consumer groups leading the boycott campaign against Singapore products and services yesterday claimed that the campaign is gaining momentum, with a particularly significant impact on mobile-phone service provider Advanced Info Service Pic, a Shin Corp subsidiary.

*** Singapore SPH Moves Into Internet Classified Advertising
<http://sg.biz.yahoo.com/060320/15/3zhrk.html>
Dow Jones

[Opinion]

*** Making Too Many Compromises
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Tuesday/National/20060321084109/Article/index_html>
Syed Nadzri, New Straits Times

It has become so confusing. But that's Malaysia-Sinapore relations for you.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]