[MyAppleMenu] Mar 11, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Mar 11 13:15:01 EST 2006

*** Analyst: Lower-Priced Models Boost iPod Demand
<http://news.com.com/2061-10793_3-6048627.html>
Michelle Meyers, CNET News.com

*** Inspiration. Innovation. Imagination.
<http://www.apple.com/pro/inspiration/>
Sam McMillan, Apple

They work in widely disparate fields, but united in their determination to push the envelope and in their reliance on Macs to help them do so.

*** Zimmerman Agency: Transcending The Rat Race
<http://www.apple.com/pro/design/zimmerman/>
David Levy, Apple

"The simple fact is, if Mac wasn't a core part of our strategy, if Apple's vision of technologyw asn't crucial to our culture, we wouldn't be where we are today."

*** Apple's Shuffle Symbol Trademark Clears Trademark Office Hurdle
<http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/apples_shuffle_symbol_trademark_clears_trademark_office_hurdle/>
Macsimum

*** iPod Hi-Fi And Low-End iPods Selling Well, Says Analyst
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1585>
Katie Marsal, AppleInsider

Apple's new iPod Hi-Fi audio system as well as its lower-end iPod digital music players are selling well enough for one analyst to increase his estimates for the company's current fiscal quarter, which ends in March.

[Opinion]

*** The Near term Future Of Intel (With Implications For Apple)
<http://news.designtechnica.com/talkback106.html>
Rob Enderle, Design Technica

I have little doubt Apple will swing for the fences. I wonder how many of the WinTel OEMs will do the same?

*** The Annals Of Journalism
<http://daringfireball.net/2006/03/annals_of_journalism>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

Not rumors. Journalism. Right.

*** Support Original Mac Game Developers
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/gameroom/2006/03/macdev/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

There are a small but important community of Mac game developers who put the Mac virst, or on an equal level with Windows and console systems, and they're equally deserving of our support.

[Review]

*** Spring Cleaning 8.0
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/03/reviews/springcleaning8/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

Spring Cleaning 8.0 is extremely slow. it's potentially unsafe, since it shows you files that you should never remove. And it is generally superfluous, since the only operations it does quickly and safely are tasks you can do with other programs such as your web browser or freeware apps.

[Wintel]

*** Ultra Mobile PCs Need Better Battery Life, Says Gartner
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39256680,00.htm>
Tom Espiner, ZDNet UK

Ultra Mobile PCs (UMPs) face the same problem as previous tablet PCs in that their battery life is not long enough at the moment for prolonged use, according to analyst house Gartner Group.

*** Online Buying Frenzy As Big Business Swoops On Sites
<http://smh.com.au/news/technology/online-buying-frenzy-as-big-business-swoops-on-sites/2006/03/10/1141701687721.html>
Tom Burton, Sydney Morning Herald

*** Harvard's Crowded Course To Happiness
<http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/03/10/harvards_crowded_course_to_happiness/>
Carey Goldberg, Boston Globe

The most popular course at Harvard this semester teaches happiness.

*** Economist Say Singapore Should Speak Out On Temasek Holdings' Takeover Of Shin Corp
<http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2006/03/10/1447533.htm>
Thai Press Reports

*** Singapore School On High Alert
<http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/03/11/politics/politics_20002513.php>
Supalak Ganjanakhundee, The Nation

As anti-Singapore sentiment grows following the purchase of shin Corp by Temasek Holdings, a Singaporean international school in Bangkok has stepped up security measures for its students and staff.

*** Net Users May Surf For Free Under New Islandwide Network
<http://www.asianewsnet.net/level3_template1.php?l3sec=10&news_id=53514&key_word=singapore>
Straits Times

Internet users in Singapore may just get to surf for free, with an islandwide wireless network that is being set up this year.

*** Najib: We Hope Singapore Can Link Up With Bridge
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/3/11/nation/13637802&sec=nation>
The Star

*** Full-Service Hotel To Open At Changi Airport In 2008
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/197162/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

*** The Tale Of Two Bus Stops
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/105986.asp>
Loh Chee Kong, Today

Two bus stops within 3m of ech other in front of their block is probably not what the residents of Block 120, Potong Pasir Avenue 1 would have expected.

*** Singapore Comments On Malaysian Minister's Remarks On Bridge Issue
<http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006-03/10/content_4288218.htm>
Xinhua

A spokesman from Singapore's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a brief statement Friday that the city state is surprised by remarks made by a Malaysian minister on the bridge issue.

[Opinion]

*** A Sad Tale, Maid In Singapore
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/105975.asp>
Neil Humphreys, Today

Denying maids mandatory rest days is a crying shame.