[MyAppleMenu] Jun 28, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jun 28 13:15:00 EDT 2006

*** Apple Updates 17" MacBook Pro Firmware
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=15087>
Macworld UK

*** Why Apple iTunes Isn't Selling Movies. Yet
<http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=17046&ch=infotech>
Daniel Turner, MIT Technology Review

The technology for downloading movie-length videos is ready, but their multi-gigabyte files would overwhelm current broadband connections.

*** Podcasting After iTunes
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/media/0,71257-0.html?tw=wn_culture_3>
Steve Friess, Wired News

*** Apple's Leopard Act
<http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=17401&hed=Apple%E2%80%99s+Leopard+Act&sector=Industries&subsector=Computing>
Red Herring

The company's upcoming operating system could help stoke interest in Mac sales.

*** Microsoft Acquires iView Multimedia
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/06/27/iview/index.php>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

Microsoft has purchased iview Multimedia, the companies announced on Monday. Notes on the iView web site indicate that support for its Macintosh products will continue.

*** Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.4.7
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/06/27/osx/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dlarymple, Macworld

[Opinion]

*** Behind One Analyst's 'Sell' On Apple
<http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7BFDCECA25%2DD79E%2D4BC4%2D8CAD%2D7BEE9B8620FD%7D&dist=rss&siteid=mktw&rss=1>
Herb Greenberg, MarketWatch

Is it on its way to becoming a Microsoft-like monopoly?

*** My MacBook: What I Love, What I Hate
<http://blog.ericrice.com/blog/_archives/2006/6/27/2061838.html>
Eric Rice

I still like it, I guess; i just hate being knocked down to the levels of PC-based computers everywhere.

*** The iPod Phone Myth
<http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Home/D6787701-DCC6-45E0-9BF3-7BBF72093513.html>
RoughlyDrafted

[Sidetrack]

*** Don't Install The Latest Update Yet
Heng-Cheong Leong

Mac users are typically advised not to install the latest OS X updates straight away, because they may contain bugs. Better let others do it first, and install the updates only when there are no widespread problems reported. Even so, always backup.

Windows users are advised to to install the latest Windows updates, because, simply, Microsoft is evil <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=84>.

Now, which computer do you really want to buy?

*** The Most Secretive OS X Release Ever?
Heng-Cheong Leong

Leopard, it seems, is one of the most secretive OS X release ever, assuming Apple's promised 18-month cycle remains true.

*** Does Wi-Fi Security Matter?
<http://news.com.com/2100-1029_3-6088741.html?part=rss&tag=6088741&subj=news>
Tom Espiner, CNET News.com

*** Hoe, Hoe, Hoe
<http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2006/06/28/keillor/index_np.html>
Garrison Keillor, Salon

Hard work is sweeter than the coffee you drink on break. But you may not know that yet.

[Expressions]

*** July (From Humidity Diary)
<http://www.slate.com/id/2139486/>
Steven Cramer, Slate

[Ramblings]

*** Even I Can Be A MP
Heng-Cheong Leong

Let me get this straight... firstly, we need to pay big bucks in order to attrack the "good" man and woman to be ministers and MPs. Then, we need to give these "fine" folks risk-free career <http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2006/06/browncast_guara.html> -- at least for five years -- in order to attrack would-be ministers and MPs.

The logcial conclusion? They aren't that good.

[News]

*** ComfortDelGro Plans To Revise Taxi Fares: Public Transport Council
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/216157/1/.html>
May Wong, Channel NewsAsia

*** Singapore Wealth Problem: Too Few Bankers
<http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/06/27/bloomberg/sxprivate.php>
Wes Goodman, Bloomberg

Singaore faces a shortage of private bankers and is relying on two government-backed training programs to fill the gap, a Singapore monetary official said Tuesday.

*** Yet Another Card Not To Leave Home Without
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/127285.asp>
Christie Loh, Today

IDA, Spring issue world-first guidelines for all-in-one contactless cashcard.

*** What Happens When Doc Changes Her Prescription
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/127292.asp>
Derrick A Paulo, Today

[Opinion]

*** On The GRC System
<http://commentarysingapore.blogspot.com/2006/06/on-grc-system.html>
Mr Wang Bakes Good Karma

Changing the Constitution of a nation so as to facilitate the recruitment strategies of one particular political party just doesn't sound right.

*** It's Here, Taxi Fares Going Up
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2006/06/its-here-taxi-fares-going-up.html>
My Singapore News

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu