[MyAppleMenu] Jun 23, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jun 23 13:15:00 EDT 2006

*** Apple Still Displeased With French Music Bill
<http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-apple23jun23,1,6955943.story?coll=la-mininav-business>
Associated Press

Leading French lawmakers voted Thursday to water down a draft copyright law that could force Apple to make its iPod music player and iTunes online store compatible with rivals' offerings. But the changes did not appear to go far enough to satisfy Apple, which dropped the strongest hint yet that it might withdraw from the French download market rather than comply.

*** Apple's Formula Computes
<http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/3994701.html>
David Kaplan, Houston Chronicle

For now, Apple has the golden touch.

*** Some Couples Saying I Do And iPod
<http://www.nbc10.com/newslinks/9410945/detail.html>
NBC10

Podcasting wedding highlights is the latest craze.

*** Media Players Suck Flash Market Dry
<http://www.itweek.co.uk/vnunet/news/2158922/media-players-suck-flash-market>
Tom Sanders, IT Week

The rising popularity of portable media players such as the iPod nano is outpacing the production capacity for flash memory, analyst firm Garnter warns.

[Opinion]

*** Top Ten Reasons I'm Glad I Am A Mac "Switcher"
<http://macmikenews.com/apple/top-ten-reasons-im-glad-i-am-a-mac-switcher>
MacMike News

*** MacBook Pro 1.83 GHz - Logic Board Replacement
<http://www.appledefects.com/?p=21>
AppleDefects.com

*** More On iTunes And The Movies
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2006/06/itunesmovies2/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Chrstiopher Breen, Playlist

[Review]

*** Appel's MacBok Pro
<http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=14974>
Thom Holwerda, OSNews.com

*** TurboCAD 3D Macintosh
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/06/reviews/turbocad3d/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Greg Miller, Macworld

[Sidetrack]

*** Microsoft Getting Into Webcams Too
Heng-Cheong Leong

I hope the LifeCams <http://www.liveside.net/comments.php?shownews=234> will support the Mac too, but I'm not holding my breath. And the quality of most Microsoft's hardware product is pretty good. So, compete away! The customers will be the winners.

Someone, though, must be sweating over at International Business Park, Jurong East. (That's where Creative HQ is situated in Singapore, if you didn't know.)

*** Not Invented Here? Not In Redmond
Heng-Cheong Leong

You know, Bill Gates bowing out, and getting Ray Ozzie to replace him, is probably one evidence that Bill doesn't believe in the Not-Invented-Here mindset.

Maybe Bill Gates should try hiring Steve Jobs onto his board and re-do Microsoft's own digital entertainment strategy?

*** Global Edition
Heng-Cheong Leong

Some days, I wish I can get Comedy Central here in Singapore... (Futurama <http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/back_to_the_futurama_entertainment_don_kaplan.htm> is back.)

*** Users Vs. Developers
<http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/06/22/users-vs-developers/>
Chris Pirillo

I love developers -- couldn't live without 'em. Can't live with 'em, either.

*** Spike In Laptop Thefts Stirs Jitters Over Data
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/21/AR2006062101854.html>
Petula Dvorak, Washington Post

"We used to be worried about credit card receipts, and tearing those up. Now we have to worry about everybody's spreadsheets."

*** Sweet Smell Of Snobbery
<http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2006/06/23/chocolate_snobs/index_np.html>
Oliver Broudy, Salon

Like wine, luxury chocolate now has connoisseurs who tout its "mouthfeel" and "terroir." Bring back "melts in your mouth, not in your hand"!

*** Press Freedom Group Criticizes Singapore Over Blogger
<http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060623/tc_afp/singaporeinternetmediarsf_060623073039>
AFP

Singapore's police investigation of an internet blogger who posted cartoons mocking Jesus Christ shows the city-state has scant regard for media independence, a rpess freedom group says.

[Opinion]

*** Seletar Hills Mart Should Have Been Retained
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:8a107f1d50dfb010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Huang Meifang, Straits Times

The entire exercise -- pulling down a market, leaving the land empty for two years and building a new market as a stop-gap measure -- is a waste of public resources.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]